Lessons learned - upgrading sound system from base

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just want to share with you my experience trying to upgrade my base sound system (2002 LS V8 non-sport).

6-CD changer show CD error (not an issue for me since my explorer has the same issue) FM works but the sound is distorted at low level, I thought it was my reception or bad antenna connection or the head unit itself. Bought a new one with Bluetooth capability (phone and audio streaming) and the sound is still distorted at low volume. Can't be right, the demo unit on Best Buy sounded just fine.

So bought new 6x8 front speakers from Crutchfield and installed on front doors, there's an improvement in sound (slightly better) I could still hear some distortion, played with the Fader and Balance and was able to identify the defective speaker, the rear passenger side. I swapped the old fronts with the back and I can't set it to a higher volume, it's still distorted. Setting the Fader to 70% front improved the sound. Not satisfied, I went to a junkyard and found 2 rear premium 2 way speakers, they are sealed in a plastic enclosure. I also took the sub woofer amp (with the wire harness) and alpine speakers at the rear (Mine doesn't have those speakers and amp thinking that it will be a nice addition) I installed the premium speakers and wow, it's a major improvement. There's more bass now than distortion.

The subwoofer amp with the wire harness just plugs directly at the connection at the rear, but there's one major problem. The base system doesn't have the 8 pin connector for the sub woofer/amp and imaging amp for the head unit. I just wasted an 8 pin harness for nothing, this was my major surprise. Replacing it with an Alpine/Audiophile CD head unit will not work. I have to run wires from the sub woofer out of the new head unit to the trunk as well as the wire for the remote amp.

Didn't do the rear sub amp install since I don't have the materials yet (need a long audio cable and 18 gauge wire from front to rear) I did try checking the sub woofer amp and speaker for my rigged wire harness. I used the existing plug to get +12v and just provided a connection for the remote amp. I don't know why they called this sub woofer amp, it doesn't really produce bass. From my research the sound generated here is too subtle as not to empower the front. It sound like sorround speakers. So if you want more bass thumping sound this amp is completely worthless and upgrading the speakers is also a waste of money.

Below is my rigged setup for testing the amp and speakers. I also found out that all stock speakers are bad. With low frequencies, I could hear nothing but distortion.
amp.jpg

amp.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back