LED Puddle lamps...

PMJJ

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Came out pretty good. Alot more of a PITA then I think it's worth, but they are alot brighter. Problem is when they go bad it's time to make a new one again!

Just bugged me to have every bulb on the car LED except these.

Peace.

UH-OH, Just looking at the post, I wonder if I should've flipped the bulb over...

PUDDLE LAMP.jpg

Last edited:
What did you do to get it open? It was pretty easy for me. Not a PITA at all.

So you sealed them back up without testing them first? Yikes!

And yea I think it is worth it, it was fairly easy for me to open as well. You just need general tools.

So you sealed them back up without testing them first? Yikes!

No, I tested them, didn't look at the light output difference though.

And yea I think it is worth it, it was fairly easy for me to open as well. You just need general tools.

Oh, I had to cut around the edge with a dremel. I couldn't get the cover off with a screwdriver.

I used two pliers and lifted. Came right off

do all GenII 2005 and up only have the puddle lamp on 1 mirror as mine only has 1.

sounds like some one replaced one of your mirrors with the wrong one

do all GenII 2005 and up only have the puddle lamp on 1 mirror as mine only has 1.

My 06 has them on both mirrors. AFAIK, all gen IIs have them on both mirrors. Maybe one of your mirrors was replaced?

My 06 has them on both mirrors. AFAIK, all gen IIs have them on both mirrors. Maybe one of your mirrors was replaced?

Possibly. Mine is an 05 LS8 sport. I'll have to look again when i leave work but there is only a light on the passenger side that lights up...

Possibly. Mine is an 05 LS8 sport. I'll have to look again when i leave work but there is only a light on the passenger side that lights up...

Your driver's side mirror should also auto-dim at night when the rear-view mirror dims. I wonder if yours does?
Also, both mirror should have defog heaters that activate when you turn the rear window defroster/defogger on.

Your driver's side mirror should also auto-dim at night when the rear-view mirror dims. I wonder if yours does?
Also, both mirror should have defog heaters that activate when you turn the rear window defroster/defogger on.

Nope. Drivers side doesn't auto-dim with the rearview and i'm not sure whether the mirrors are heated or not...no symbol on them and when i would run the rear defroster to thaw the mirrors, it didn't seem like it did much. Here's the VIN if someone can do a carfax or something to see what features it has... 1LNHM87A95Y616370

MIRROR - EXTERIOR DRIVER
BSDCS DRV PWR/HEATED/MEM/PUDDLE LAMP
MIRROR - EXTERIOR PASSENGER
BSFCS PASS PWR/HTD/MEM/PUDDLE LAMP

I pulled this off your build sheet for your car...Your missing the correct mirror...

nope. Drivers side doesn't auto-dim with the rearview and i'm not sure whether the mirrors are heated or not...no symbol on them and when i would run the rear defroster to thaw the mirrors, it didn't seem like it did much. Here's the vin if someone can do a carfax or something to see what features it has... 1lnhm87a95y616370

mirror - exterior driver
bsdcs drv pwr/heated/mem/puddle lamp
mirror - exterior passenger
bsfcs pass pwr/htd/mem/puddle lamp

well hey, i guess im envious of owners with just one puddle too, i WANT THEM next..... after the paint and rims, what do those puddle lamps hook up to? the headlights or could we splice them into the blinkers? i would be doing some custom work to add them to the gen 1

I checked again and I do have one on the drivers side. Looks like it's blown out so now I have a project for tomorrow. The driver mirror still does not dim or heat up.

Your driver's side mirror should also auto-dim at night when the rear-view mirror dims.

Ok, good. I thought I was going crazy. I thought I notice the side mirror was dimer at times. Thats cool

Does anyone know which fuse the puddle lamps are connected to? I put a test light on the drivers side puddle lamp and got no power going to it (did this with the door open). Would this contribute to the heated/dimmer function not working as well? I didn't know this car has so many damn fuse boxes, I found the one on the passenger side which i'm assuming is the correct one. The owners manual does not show a fuse specifically for the puddle lamps.

Thanks.

pg 223 says fuse 22 is the driver side power mirror and fuse 30 is the passenger power mirror. Maybe it's those

I didn't think it would be that fuse as the power mirror moves when i press the directional button. This leads me to believe that the puddle lamps are on a seperate circuit.

I didn't think it would be that fuse as the power mirror moves when i press the directional button. This leads me to believe that the puddle lamps are on a seperate circuit.

Yes, they are somewhat separate. If I have time, I'll look up the wiring diagram. As I recall, the positive power for the puddle lamps comes from one of the SSP relays in the trunk, and the grounds to the lamps are switched inside the FEM. (Positive is powered anytime the car is not sleeping, and ground is switched in only when the puddle lamp is supposed to be on.)

Which is it that you aren't getting? (+12V or ground ?) Connect your negative DVM lead to exposed metal on the car, and then the positive to each lead (one at a time) of the puddle lamp. This works best if you leave the lamp in/connected. If you get zero volts in both cases, then the positive feed is the problem. If you get +12V in both cases, then the switched ground from the FEM is the problem. If you get 12V on one side and 0V on the other, then your bulb is burned out.

Yes, they are somewhat separate. If I have time, I'll look up the wiring diagram. As I recall, the positive power for the puddle lamps comes from one of the SSP relays in the trunk, and the grounds to the lamps are switched inside the FEM. (Positive is powered anytime the car is not sleeping, and ground is switched in only when the puddle lamp is supposed to be on.)

Which is it that you aren't getting? (+12V or ground ?) Connect your negative DVM lead to exposed metal on the car, and then the positive to each lead (one at a time) of the puddle lamp. This works best if you leave the lamp in/connected. If you get zero volts in both cases, then the positive feed is the problem. If you get +12V in both cases, then the switched ground from the FEM is the problem. If you get 12V on one side and 0V on the other, then your bulb is burned out.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. When I tested it the first time, I used a test light but I'll try a voltmeter this time...

So if the bulb is blown, I basically have to use a dremmel to cut the pod open?

Members online

No members online now.
Back