lean fuel mixture :(:(:(

Mulder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for having doubled the post, but I decided to post it as a new one...

the MAF sensor is quite ok.

Yet there is still "Lean fuel mixture on 1st bank" report

I had catalyst checked, there is nothing wrong with the fumes, they match all the regulations so the catalyst works just FINE.

I had all the spark plugs changed into new ones. Engine oil is new, changed 5W20 freshly as recomended.

There is "service engine soon" light on my dashboard and it doesn't want to go away. Why? Has this darn light nothing else to do, rather than annoy me? I don't know- go fishing, spend the time with family or friends? Nooo - it does remain on my dashboard, like a haunting ghost – saying “ service engine sooooon! Booooo!” maybe I should call the exorcist?

Ok, seriously guys, what should I look at to get rid of that orange light? Why the bank 1 has lean fuel mixture, I use the best fuel I can buy, I never fill the gas tank with cheap fuel. Can that be the oxygen sensor issue? I had three sensors changed already, it helped a bit, but after a while the problem returned. Maybe the 4th one should be changed as well?
Do U think will that help?

Most likely a vacuum leak. I had the same problem a few years back. Check the air filter housing, the MAF sensor housing and lines. Also check the hoses going into the intake manifold. There are some rubber elbows on top of the intake. That is where my leak was.

My 1997 was throwing those codes for the last 5 years. I had replaced the IAC in 2007. Funny thing, as soon as odometer rolled over 300,000KMs, there was an audible click and the engine light went off, and never came on since. Like the programming just went to all default maps. My car sometimes floods itself on damp mornings. I suspect IAC, O2 sensors and/or intake manifold gaskets need to be replaced, but if I start a job like that I am going to go further and install new timing chains. I am using Bosch plugs which is not the popular vote. The motor idles a little rough and I want to change my spark plugs first.

They say our cars don't have a "real" PCV valve but instead it's a "calibrated orifice" and thus has nothing to wear out. I did it anyway, along with the elbow, and there's a post somewhere in this section where I mentioned it with part numbers (non-Ford).

The problem mysteriously vanished! Disapeared, just by itself. Well...I want to believe... The_Truth_Is_Out_There_tagline.jpg

The_Truth_Is_Out_There_tagline.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back