leaky ac system

bwv2k

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 v6 ls. The clutch on the compressor was not coming on when I turned the ac on. I check the r134 level and it was empty. Put in new r134 the clutch kicked in bt I could hear a hissing sound. A couple of minutes later the r134 level was on empty again. Does anyone have an illistration of the ac systen so that I can track where the leak is coming from?

Start by checking the service ports. You can just follow the lines around the car and check for leaks that way. You will definitely want to have the system vacuumed down once the leak is fixed before you recharge it.

Start by checking the service ports. You can just follow the lines around the car and check for leaks that way. You will definitely want to have the system vacuumed down once the leak is fixed before you recharge it.

And the compressor oil added back in.

And maybe even a new compressor.. All the oil could have leaked out or you could have gotten contaminates in the system with the leak..

I was always told its best to replace all the ac components at the same time.

You are correct.. If contaminates did get into the system, it's just a matter of time until it affects all of the components..

I agree with the comments above about replacing the whole system in the event of compressor failure.
However, it's possible that your compressor hasn't failed. You know you have a major leak somewhere. You need to locate the leak. If it is not a major part (like the compressor) then you should:
1. Have the leak repaired.
2. Have a vacuum pulled on the system to get the air and water out and to verify that the leak is repaired.
3. Refill the compressor with oil.
4. Recharge with refrigerant.

You may get out of this for $200 or less instead of a few thousand.

I appreciate that Jo. Sounds like taking it to the shop would be the best way to go.

Members online

Back