Leaking Oil Fill Tube

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some oil residue coming from the bottom of the oil fill tube, where it connects to valve cover. Is there a gasket or a way to remove this and fix? It wiggles slightly. I dont see it as a major leak but would like to fix. Couldnt find anything with search function.

I'm assuming you meant valve cover, not cam cover. I guess i can wait till i need to replace that side's VCG. The leak isnt bad. I'm thinking it only leaks during heavy throttle. The only evidence is some residue around the bottom. Any kind of putty or something that could be a temp fix?

this is 'normal' - on your gen2 you will also get a bit seeping from around the VVT solenoids in the front of the vavle covers as well - from the pressure build up, and the heat weakens the o-rings.

you can remove the oil fill tube by giving it a HARD twist, as it simply screws in with a half-turn. This is soooo hard - I have never been able to do it with the valve cover in the car - but I've seen it done. I had to deal with mine during the supercharger project - as I had to cut and redirect it.

you can remove the oil fill tube by giving it a HARD twist, as it simply screws in with a half-turn. This is soooo hard - I have never been able to do it with the valve cover in the car - but I've seen it done. I had to deal with mine during the supercharger project - as I had to cut and redirect it.

There are tabs on the bottom of the neck itself that have to be depressed in order to twist it out. I imagine that forcing it out without depressing the tabs (which are on the inside, requiring the valve cover to be removed) would most likely break the tabs, which allow it to lock into place in the valve cover.

If there were valves under it, I'd call it a valve cover. Since there's cams under there, I call it a cam cover ;)

Actually, there are valves under the cover, they're under the cams.

I have no problem with either name since neither name causes any confusion as to what they are.

Thats why i call the vct sensors vvt sensors.

theres cams but under theres valves.

Thats why i call the vct sensors vvt sensors.

theres cams but under theres valves.

Those are not sensors, they are actuators (specifically solenoid valves).
They don't sense position, they control position offset. Unfortunately, the service manual does (incorrectly in my opinion) call them sensors in some places.

Ohv-ohc

Actually, there are valves under the cover, they're under the cams.

I have no problem with either name since neither name causes any confusion as to what they are.

But, Joe, for those of us brought up at about the same time that valves ceased to be in the block and became 'overhead' the idea of multiple cams is overwhelmingly 'cooler'. :D

KS

Thanks all for the info. I say valve covers because when you replace the gasket they are called "VCG-Valve Cover Gaskets". Regardless we all know what and where they are. I do see some oil residue around the solenoids/sensors in the front of the valve/cam covers. If this is normal then i guess no need for concern. I cant see the amount that is leaking to be substantial. Otherwise (fingers crossed) my LS is leak and problem free at the moment.

I'm at 153k miles and the dealer is recommending a trans service. Am i better off getting this done or leaving it? I have read that problems can arise after a flush with so many miles. I did have a trans service done around 50k, so its not the original fluid.

Members online

No members online now.
Back