Knocking Sound (Rear)

LS_Owner

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched the forum but didn't find anything on an issue I'm having. I hear a knocking noise that appears to be coming from the right rear of the vehicle. It almost sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger tire but I can't pinpoint the noise. The noise is really clear when I'm slowing down (approaching a red light). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to continue driving it if this is a serious issue. Just replaced the transmission.

Did you try looking under the car while it's in the air to see which of your suspension parts is loose? Control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, sway end links...

Most likely the right rear UCA

This is by far the worst post I have made in this forum. How I missed this issue I will never know. Long story short, one wheel stud on the right rear passenger tire broke off (hence the noise). Cannot figure out for the life of me how I missed this, took off the front tire and remounted on Saturday but failed to even look at the back tire.

But with all I have been thru with my LS I have learned to celebrate the minor issues. It could always be worse.

were the other 4 lug nuts tight? I wouldn't think a missing lug and stud would make a noise, or did it get stuck under the hub cap part of the wheel (did happen to my caviler for a while)

Damn! Hate it when studs snap clean off from over torquing. (ask me how I know) Just be glad no wheels came of, it's not fun.

How I missed this issue I will never know.

I just "fixed" my girlfrriend's parents' glovebox by unlocking it with the ignition key, after they tried doing the same. Whether it's your mistake, the car, or Zeus riding in and causing mischief, siht happens.

were the other 4 lug nuts tight? I wouldn't think a missing lug and stud would make a noise, or did it get stuck under the hub cap part of the wheel (did happen to my caviler for a while)

... 'didnt think it would make a noise' <??>

This is by far the worst post I have made in this forum. How I missed this issue I will never know. Long story short, one wheel stud on the right rear passenger tire broke off (hence the noise). Cannot figure out for the life of me how I missed this, took off the front tire and remounted on Saturday but failed to even look at the back tire.

But with all I have been thru with my LS I have learned to celebrate the minor issues. It could always be worse.

When I test drove my 2002 LS6, I heard a clunking in the rear and was fairly certain the Rear Struts were bad. I haven't heard that clunk again since tightening down the jack assembly.

I have searched the forum but didn't find anything on an issue I'm having. I hear a knocking noise that appears to be coming from the right rear of the vehicle. It almost sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger tire but I can't pinpoint the noise. The noise is really clear when I'm slowing down (approaching a red light). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to continue driving it if this is a serious issue. Just replaced the transmission.

I'm hearing a loud knocking noise (from the rear) when I take my foot off the gas pedal. Checked my lugs and they were good. I only hear this noise when the car is in drive and I'm not accelerating. Car began to overheat today and "reduce engine power" msg appeared. I have no clue what this could be. Any ideas??

I'm hearing a loud knocking noise (from the rear) when I take my foot off the gas pedal. Checked my lugs and they were good. I only hear this noise when the car is in drive and I'm not accelerating. Car began to overheat today and "reduce engine power" msg appeared. I have no clue what this could be. Any ideas??
Could be anything but I’d check your exhaust components and also rear sway bar end link kits

Loose lug nuts on rear driver side. Overheating = low coolant. (Slowly crawling back into my hole......smh)
I never heard of loose lug nuts on a car or lug nuts becoming loose....for the low coolant if it’s going low frequently I would make sure to replace some plastic .....starting with the degas bottle

I never heard of loose lug nuts on a car or lug nuts becoming loose....for the low coolant if it’s going low frequently I would make sure to replace some plastic .....starting with the degas bottle
Had the rear pads replaced about a month ago. Apparently shop didn't tighten all of the lugs as only one was loose. Definitely keeping an eye on the coolant.

Had the rear pads replaced about a month ago. Apparently shop didn't tighten all of the lugs as only one was loose. Definitely keeping an eye on the coolant.
I see....well 100lbs./Ft. is torque specs on the lugs and yes I would keep a close watch on your coolant level....you shouldn’t have to add coolant to this car if so you more than likely have a leak somewhere...keep us posted

Last edited:
I see....well 100lbs./Ft. is torque specs on the lugs and yes I would keep a close watch on your coolant level....you shouldn’t have to add coolant to this car if so you more than likely have a leak somewhere...keep us posted

Man you were right about two months ago my Coolant Outlet Flange cracked. Luckily I was close to my neighborhood shop and was able to get it fixed fairly quick. Probably should have ran a pressure test as soon as the coolant was low. Another lesson learned.

Man you were right about two months ago my Coolant Outlet Flange cracked. Luckily I was close to my neighborhood shop and was able to get it fixed fairly quick. Probably should have ran a pressure test as soon as the coolant was low. Another lesson learned.

I hope that they replaced more than just that. Otherwise, you will be repeating this process several times...

Members online

Back