Keypad malfunction...

LS4me

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a keypad malfunction? It's been working fine up until a few days ago. When I push the 7/8 button it automatically locks the car. Unfortunately the factory code and our personal code includes the 7/8 button.

Ideas??? I'm not in a position to open up the door for about 4 more weeks (hernia repair, you don't want one!!).

TIA!

I have had a keypad failure on a Grand Marquis before. AFAIK, it's basically the same keypad (at least design wise). The cause of the failure was that the rubber membrane had a tear in it. (You can't see this with the keypad installed, I only found it after taking it apart. It let water get in and start corroding the circuit board. The solution was to replace the whole assembly. On the plus side, I modified the new one with some high efficiency LEDs so that it glowed slightly all the time, but came up to full brightness when you pressed a key. I thought it was a pain to find the correct button to press first in complete darkness. It only added a 2mA or less drain to the battery to do this.

Oh, and I've already had one hernia (has been repaired) and I don't want any more either. Good luck with it.

I have had a keypad failure on a Grand Marquis before. AFAIK, it's basically the same keypad (at least design wise). The cause of the failure was that the rubber membrane had a tear in it. (You can't see this with the keypad installed, I only found it after taking it apart. It let water get in and start corroding the circuit board. The solution was to replace the whole assembly. On the plus side, I modified the new one with some high efficiency LEDs so that it glowed slightly all the time, but came up to full brightness when you pressed a key. I thought it was a pain to find the correct button to press first in complete darkness. It only added a 2mA or less drain to the battery to do this.

Oh, and I've already had one hernia (has been repaired) and I don't want any more either. Good luck with it.

Yea.... The first 3 days were brutal, but at least my La-Z-Boy was pretty comfortable.

You know, it did start acting up after our last El Niño downpour... I'll look into a new keypad...

joegr;2037394559I thought it was a pain to find the correct button to press first in complete darkness. [/QUOTE said:
Saving you literally seconds!

But I'd do the same.

That is a bit of a [first world] problem on my 97 Taurus and 14 Fusion. My dad's 04 Taurus and 10 Explorer have nice, chunky, rubber buttons. I can fondle the area and find the right key the first time. My Taurus has a smooth surface for all 5 buttons. The Fusion has softkeys in the pillar that only light up when you tap the area, which I do think is kinda cool. My Taurus does need some repair, as the 1-2 end of the keypad is broken in that is flexes when pushed... probably leaking water into the door too, but there's always something more fun I can do with the LS instead, or just perpetuate the laziness/ennui cycle

You know, at the rate LS owners are replacing parts, I imagine in a decade one might have actually 'Bought' a new LS by simply replacing failing parts XD

Don't feel bad LS4me, my keypad never worked on my 05. Worked brilliantly tho on my 2001 Expedition, right up till when I sold it @ 150,000 miles.

What's with the hernias,guys! I too,have had an inguinal hernia repair,but had it done at Shouldice in Toronto which is the greatest place in the world,AFAIKO.
I have another getting ready to pop,actually it has,but Shouldice wants proof and I'd have to get a passport now.
The operation up there really holds. I was back pouring concrete 4 days after the operation.That was back in `86.I'm going back for the other side.
I've never seen a keypad fail yet.On ANYTHING I've owned......but I don't use them much. I'd rather push ONE button to open the car or the trunk. don-ohio :)^)

You know, at the rate LS owners are replacing parts, I imagine in a decade one might have actually 'Bought' a new LS by simply replacing failing parts XD

If I replace every part on my car, one piece at a time, will it still be my car?

real answer is the unibody is my car

If I replace every part on my car, one piece at a time, will it still be my car?

real answer is the unibody is my car

Good question. I think what makes it still your car is that the frame can't be replaced. Unless.. you weld new bits onto your frame. Which, it's an LS, I really wouldn't be surprised XD

I'm pretty sure no matter what you do to the car, it will still be YOUR car until the day you sell it or give it away.

#JustSaying

But then what if I swap every single removable part onto a different chassis?

Members online

Back