Keyless Entry Question.

Gonzo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have that one for my Expedition, for about 6 months now...Works awesome. IIRC as long as you have two working keys to your LS (genII) then you can program it yourself. You can find the procedure online...Just have to have it cut (dealer did mine for free)

If you have have a GEN I, it must be programmed by a dealer (or someone with a scan tool).

I was able to do it myself at home. Wife loves it

Had a similar one........ Lasted about 10 months before the spring started getting weak. A month or so latter the spring was too weak to "open" the key. It also rattled and was about twice the size of the stock remote. I found it too bulky to comfortably fit in my pocket. I didn't replace it when it did quit "presenting" the key.

Ok, thanks for the info.. I have always liked that style key/fob but never knew if it would work or not. Does it still allow you to open the windows from the fob by holding the unlock button with the DIY programming? As for programming, i have both original keys and fobs from the original owner so i'm set in that department.Would a little hardware store key cutting machine work or does it HAVE to be done at the dealer?

Make sure the stupid thing has the transponder/PATS chip in it. That is where you get screwed. Then you have to go buy another key and try to take it out and somehow attach it to this thing.

Make sure the stupid thing has the transponder/PATS chip in it. That is where you get screwed. Then you have to go buy another key and try to take it out and somehow attach it to this thing.

I think (not 100%) that it does have the chip built-in, based on the description.
I do recall that the last chip keys I bought (not Ford OEM), had the chips separate to begin with. The locksmith cut the keys, then he selected the correct chips from a bin and popped them into the keys and hammered plugs into the slot that the chip was placed in. From that, I assume that it may be possible to buy just the chip and not have to dig it out of a key.

the chip is in... just need it cut. Windows and everything should still work...Reaper had one to and it all worked the same.. If i didn't have to pay the programming fee (GEN I) I'd have one too!

It works. I went to the parts dept of my local Ford dealer and they cut it for free.

Members online

Back