Just Purchased 98 Continental- Please Help

jgscott

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just Purchased a 1998 Lincoln Continental with 138k in Good shape except for a few minor problems. I have been a member here for a little while and also own 2002 LS. Here a few questions I have about the Continental. The model I have has the Floor shift console. The prev owner also did not have the owners manual.

1. I did not get the Keyless entry from the prev owner. If I get 2 Key fobs is it a dealer only programing ?

2. The clock is broken and unrepairable. Know where I can get one ?

3. I have a intermittent starting problem. Some times when I try to crank it, it just turns over like it's out of gas and will not start. Someone said try a fuel filter, another said maybe a new fuel pump. I realize it's either Fuel or Ignition related. But is there any know problem that anyone can tell me about ? Been lucky so far that I wait a little and then it will start. Have know idea why ?

4. The driver outside door handle has a entry key pad and I don't know the code. Is there a way to reset it, and program a new code myself ?

5. The Map lights and Rear View mirror display, on the rear view mirrow dont work. Is there any one fuse for rear view mirror ?

I really like the car.

98lin.jpg

1. you can program most any ford lincoln mercury 4 button key fab to work. Each car has different instruction on how to do this so you will need to do some research online. I have 1 lincoln and 1 mercury key fab for my continental.

2. for a clock you are going to have to start hunting at a "you pull it" junk yard

3. good luck with this. listen when you first turn on the key, there should be a buzzing sound for the fuel pump, fuel filter is like a 15-20k maintenance part. My 92 conti has an ignition problem right now that i am trying to figure out but you car has a completely different ignition system ( pull a spark plug and check for spark)

4. Keyless entry codes are usually on the computer in the trunk or on the hidge itself unless it has been removed.

5. check this out... http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ebrock63/2009-01-03_234004_1.pdf

i also have the same cont it is a beauty but the problem i have is it also wont start. we got the full pump replaced and new fuel filter still a problem with it starting, so it is a pain but im hoping it is a simple fix when i find out what is wrong. if u dont hear the fuel pump though it needs to be replaced and that is not a cheap one. i hope the ignition isnt that expensive

Admirable that you're helping but this thread was from 5 years ago :D

I'll answer some of the easy ones for people who find this thread in a search later on...

The keyless entry code is printed on the door lock module inside the driver's door panel. Ford products used to have a sticker with the original code stuck to one of the trunk hinges but they quit doing that at some point. If you remove the driver's door panel you'll see the code printed on the module. You can add your own code as well - in fact, one for each driver if you've got the Driver 1/2 preset option. I just forget how - I always look in the book :D

Intermittent starting problems end up being the fuel pump. Very rarely will one of the other sensors be an issue (crank, fuel pressure) but the pump is likely to be going and it's a PITA because you have to drop the fuel tank to reach it. AutoZone sells a new assembly w/ pump (and lifetime warranty) for around $200. I went with that option because it couldn't be screwed up -- no wiring a pump into the factory housing, no worrying about the anti-drainback valve function, leaky seals, etc. Brand new, plug & play!

Members online

No members online now.
Back