jbl

forcedbird94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone got an amp for 93 jbl i cant find any in junkyard they are all diff??????????????????????????????????????????????

Do you have a pic of yours with numbers? Not all of them are the same. You have to take the POS out anyway. Pics help us out. Premium, non premium sound system? If it's non premium, I probably have what you need.

POS? the local speed shop has a bypas kit for 25 bucks but i can get the numbers and pics tomarrow

Save up and convert to a more modern system. The jbl system was good...18 years ago.

One of the first things I noticed when I joined this forum (I am from TCCoA) back when I got my 94 Mark VIII Base earlier this year (build date was mid to late 1993), was that I had talked to numerous people who were very connected with the stock JBL system in their cars.. :confused:

I am not saying that you are one of these people that are insistent on keeping the JBL setup, or even part of it; I just thought I would mention it because it seemed funny to me! :)

I really think just throwing in a modern head unit with really good aftermarket speakers (wired directly to the head unit) sounds even better than the full JBL setup if the install is done right. Years ago I had a friend with a 95 Mark, who used the stock JBL system, but added a mono amp and digital crossover to the trunk to run a single 15" sub, and it sounded pretty decent considering he had used no-name crap parts to build it...

When I got my Mark, my stock JBL head unit didnt work along with almost everything else in the dash as well, lmao.. no radio, and it would not talk to the cd changer in the trunk. It threw some error code up on the little LED screen, but I dont remember what it said and didnt care because I have a custom built stereo in my garage (that I plucked from my Tbird) that consists of a digital Pioneer DIN sized EQ, full setup of aftermarket speakers for the cabin, 2 Kicker comp 12" subs for the trunk with a custom amp rack I made that mounts to the back of the box that holds cooling fans that turn on with the system along with all the relays for it, and 3 amps (almost 3000 watts total), and digital 3 way adjustable crossover. I added green leds all over my trunk and built the setup into the trunk where it looked like it was OEM, and took a title at a local car show for the "best audio system setup" years ago.. I built this system for very very cheap too with proper use of Ebay.. Lets just say I was glad I had my entire Tbird dynamatted! :rolleyes:

I guess you could always "bypass" the stock setup, but life will be much easier for you if you just pull that rack in the trunk out assuming that you decide to upgrade the system with subs - not much clearance for subs if you leave that rack in, and you dont have to blow $25 on something that will just get in your way in the future.

So far I just threw a Pioneer CD player in the car, and I am currently running the stock JBL speakers directly off the head unit and while it doesnt sound too bad though its VERY weak! I still have to install the beasty stereo system in my Mark; but the point is that I didnt even want to deal with this JBL setup - I am sure I could have found the issue and fixed it, but it just wasnt worth it to me.

I suspected the amp was the issue, but I was told that the head unit and/or cd changer most likely was at fault. Because I never installed my subs or anything else in the trunk yet, that PIA amp rack is still in there with all the original hardware along with the cd changer...

Do you want my old hardware from my trunk if it proves to be a match? I am not sure what works and what doesnt, but this JBL equipment is easily repairable from what I heard. Ill pull down my amp rack today or tomorrow if you are interested and Ill get some pics of everything. You can have all the goodies, or just the amp if you want for only the cost of shipping so let me know when you have a chance!

The premium JBL system is very good. I spent many years flogging high end audio, mainly to get deals on my stuff, and I have a rather nice system. I have listened to quite a few car systems and although the environment does not allow a sweet sound stage with instruments laid out properly it can be very nice.

The stock JBL premium system is just fine and although it does not go much below 100 Hz the sound is very good. I believe some one here won an audio competition with a stock JBL premium system.

Yeh, I just got my JBL system going - it sounds ok IMHO, but I'm probably hard to please since I do sound reinforcement with pro-audio gear. It is a component system which is a requirement for any decent sounding system - I just like a little more "punch" to my stuff. I have an aftermarket amp and sub, so I'll prolly add it to the stock system first before dumping any serious coin into revamping the whole system.

Remove that old stuff. Things have changed over the last 2 decades and things are simply better. Rewire the system with all new wiring to each speaker, properly! Yes, it will cost money but the crap I have pulled out of the 3 Marks I have had was junk. The rear and door speakers are old dry rotting paper cones with very very little flex, can't handle much power and I would like to see an 18 year old JBL system from a Mark win a competition where I live. It will never happen. If you listen to opera, stick with the JBL system because both suck.

They were good back in the early 90's for your average listener but even then, I still would have jerked it out and installed my own, with subs in the trunk but when I want to seriously bang my system, I can. I can't even say that it's my opinion, it's pretty much fact!

So I see all these setups with the subs pointing at the trunk lid. What is the point of that? To make em' look good when the trunk is open?

Why would you not point em' at the back seat to make it transfer the low frequency into the car? The big boom machines around here don't sound all that great in the car, but as far as I can tell it's to boom up the neighborhood rather than produce good sound in the car.

The big boom machines around here don't sound all that great in the car, but as far as I can tell it's to boom up the neighborhood rather than produce good sound in the car.

That's usually the issue ... kids don't seem to care about the quality of sound .. they seem to care that people look and them when they drive by ...

I have connected new head units to the JBL system and have rewired to run through the head unit and rewired to run through a separate amp ... I guess it's a matter of how picky you are with the quality of sound or how much you want to spend, or your ability to rip into your Mark VIII ... The average person won't notice much... Personally I feel you save a lot of issues by rewiring ...

I still have about 35' of Kimber PJB and I thought I might start with that and see how that sounds. I will be looking into speakers too as mine are original.

JBL system

I have put almost 15 k miles on my Mk8 since March with no tunes:(... I enjoy the "quiet". it's also last on my punch list...I pulled an amp from a 94 at a junkyard but it was "fried" too when I tried it. When I am ready I will probably replace the sound system with something new. Yeah, I am not that impressed by a powerful or high end sound system in a car...would rather put the high end sound system in my home! Klipshorn, Nakamichi, B&0, Mactinosh, Sears AND Roebuck, What happened to Roebuck I wonder. Gawd I am getting old!

BTW...who was James B. Lansing. We were all dumb before Google! :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back