Is It Just Me????

2k2ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
is it just me or is the ls a pig in the snow? this b.s. blizzard had me slippin and sliding all over the f**kin place. also I found it easier to drive with the traction control off. is it just me??

I wouldn't know it's 65 degrees outside and it doesn't snow down here.

Nothing but sunshine and beaches round here. :N

2k2ls said:
is it just me or is the ls a pig in the snow? this b.s. blizzard had me slippin and sliding all over the f**kin place. also I found it easier to drive with the traction control off. is it just me??

The LS certainly isn't a snow and ice kind of car. You have to realize that its near 50/50 weight distribution doesn't allow it to perform well in snow. The car too well balanced. I know this for a fact! Last year we had a good snow and on slush it was all over the place. Now, you can put some chains on the wheels and it might be better but I don't recommend that.

2k2ls said:

Not Just you. I live in Buffalo, NY and my 01 is all over the road. I stopped using the traction control last week. All it did for me was slow the car down.

last year i didn't have snow tires and it was terrible. this year i bought some dunlops and wow, what a difference. with tc on i have to try to throw the rear end out.

traction control sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all you have to do is unplug one of the abs sencers and your problem is solved. no more traction control Or ABS

2k2ls said:

Just like ANY car, your performance on the slippery stuff is totally dependant on traction, which is primarily a function of your TIRES. If you are used to driving a front-heavy FWD car, going to a RWD will make it seem like you have no traction to get things going. The LS improves on this though by balancing the weight close to 50/50, so as far as RWD cars are concerned, the LS is among the best.

The Advance Trak does seem to kick-in quite a bit, cutting power when the rear wheels start slipping. While AdvTrk does try to "emulate" a limited slip diff by applying brakes to the slipping wheel to transfer torque to the other (then cuts engine power if that one starts slipping), it is no where as efficient as a real LSD for getting the car moving in a forward direction. When AdvTrk does intervene, it is certainly distracting, enough to make driving without it seem much easier (especially if you are used to feathering a tail-out drift).

Don't blame the car, get new tires. And if you can't handle a RWD car in the snow, go back to a FWD car. But IMHO, in the slippery stuff, while FWD may be slightly better than RWD for getting moving, I'd RATHER put my priorities on STOPPING. And by all means, if any of my tires start slipping due to the engine over-powering them, I'd much RATHER it NOT be the tires I STEER WITH!!!

Ronkonkoma??? Come out Mastic/Shirley way, I'll show you slippery roads... and you guys criticize traction control all you want... My tires are as bald as "you know what" and I'm getting to Manhattan EVERY DAY based on T/C...

2k2ls have you joined the NE Chapter?

Personaly I think the LS handles great in the Snow. We have had a a lot of snow here in Toronto since Saturday and as long as I start of slowly the car goes and once it is moving is stuck to the road. I must aggree that the traction control can get in the way when I am turning from a stop, but I do have the option of turning it off.

Dedicated snow tires is the way to go with any RWD car. I have 4 Michelin snows on my LS and have no problem in the snow. We've gotten a lot of snow this winter in Boston, the LS equiped with snows handle every storm with ease.

Dedicated snow tires are the way to go with ANY car. I have a FWD beater, and let me tell you, even in that car going from all-seasons to snows made a world of difference.

2k2ls said:
is it just me or is the ls a pig in the snow?

Just you and the tires. Mine is used for skiing in Vermont and so far I have not needed to put the chains on. Four good snows on 16 inch rims.

2000 LS 5-speed no stinking traction control

Hate to say it just you... My LS has bald tires on the rear and I can actually drive it. I'm amazed. If it wasn't for the outer two edges of the tire, I would have no tread at all. As long as I keep it moving, I'm fine. If I stop, well now I have a problem. New snow tires are on the way.

My other car was a Grand Marquis, with dedicated snow tires. I've been doing Fire Rescue for the last 10 years, and there has only been one call I mised due to ice. I don't care if you have a tank, you're not going anywhere. I run studs and the whole nine yards. I'm pretty mobile when I want to be.

Good snow tires are a must! I got a set of continentals for the winter, and it made a HUGE difference. This year however, i decided to lower the car 1.75 inches, so now not only do i have to deal with getting traction, i have to make sure that the tires are actualy on the ground! It's like a beached whale. So as long as i dont get into anything deaaper than about 2, 2-1/2 inches...im fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back