is it a 98 or 97 trans

zmt325

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i think the trans that came out of the 98 i parted is a 97 trans. it has a casting that says 97 on it.

is it worth putting in?
how can i make sure it is a 97 and not a 98? the car is a 1998 model but the trans has the 97 casting on the top... i am disappointed as hell :(

i think the trans that came out of the 98 i parted is a 97 trans. it has a casting that says 97 on it.

is it worth putting in?
how can i make sure it is a 97 and not a 98? the car is a 1998 model but the trans has the 97 casting on the top... i am disappointed as hell :(

Casing may very well be a 97 number as well as many other parts. Can you find/read the trans tag. That would be what you would go by.

Casing may very well be a 97 number as well as many other parts. Can you find/read the trans tag. That would be what you would go by.

where is it? the trans is out. i am letting a friend finish the build and i will call him tomorrow and have him look for it.

Do you have a slip yoke you can slide in the tail stock. You can turn it and listen for the ticking.

Do you have a slip yoke you can slide in the tail stock. You can turn it and listen for the ticking.

what?

the trans is in perfect condition. it is going in a 95. kind of a pita to convert. i was wondering if i was going to gain anything if it was a 97 trans.

On a 98 trans when you turn the yoke you can hear the direct diode tick as you spin it. On a 97.. or I should say early 97 you'll hear nada.

what?

the trans is in perfect condition. it is going in a 95. kind of a pita to convert. i was wondering if i was going to gain anything if it was a 97 trans.

Pain to convert what?...I have a 97 in my 94, didn't do anything but change out some solenoids and sensors, to be on the safe side.

If the trans is a 98, it will be stamped on the top of the bell housing "98" and there were some 97's that were tagged to show any technician that the updated accumulators and springs were NOT installed. The 98 is what it is. A 97 out of a 98 is a 97. Nothing special about it.

As for gaining anything by switching, no gain unless something is wrong with your current 95 trans. 93 thru 97 can be manually shifted but you're asking for it if you do. The 98's can be manually shifted and there is nothing to worry about, normally. All in all, as for gaining anything from any of them, it would be with the 98 because of the friction material, the one way clutch and being able to manually shift without worrying about it shuddering the next day or the the next month.

If you do swap to a 98, all you have to do is swap out the electrical internal solenoids and the main power harness wire. It would be plain dumb not to go ahead and j-mod it while you're in there because it only cost $5 to $7 to do it and two drill bits and a cordless drill. I'll provide the link below with pics on how to do an actual 98 transmission conversion into a 93, 94, 95, 96, 97

It takes a little time but not long and it is extremely simple if the trans is out and laid upside down. Even easier if both are laid side by side and upside down. I done this instead of the re-pin method and it worked like a dream on the 94 I had.

In the link, notice the first two top pictures of the dating and how the 97 should look if it's (accumulators and springs) only were not installed.

http://sites.google.com/site/krackerskrazy8s/94-to-98-tranny-swap

Look at the tag with the part number:
1996-97 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L F7LP-AA
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L F8LP-AA

Changes in transmissions over the years:
1997 Has a better valve body and pan & filter design.
If it's a 1998, it also has a better connector, MLPS, clutch material, and the best change - mechanical diode.

Look at the tag with the part number:
1996-97 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L F7LP-AA
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L F8LP-AA

Changes in transmissions over the years:
1997 Has a better valve body and pan & filter design.
If it's a 1998, it also has a better connector, MLPS, clutch material, and the best change - mechanical diode.

thank you

i told my friend to look at it tomorrow when he gets to the shop. i allready have everything for a jmod including a spare separator plate and gasket, filter, 13 qts of merc v and a 2ndary cooler

Members online

No members online now.
Back