Intermittent HID failure and odor

fudgedelic

LVC Member
Reaction score
These are two small separate problems but i figured i'd throw em into one thread. First off just now when i drove to the store both my HIDs came on normally and we're fine, auto lights are set to 3 min. By the way these aren't stock, theyre just a conversion kit in my 02, stock housings. Anyways, i run inside and am back out before theyre off, start the car and drive away. Dunno if it happened there or not but a little ways down the road i see one of my HIDs isn't on. I pull the car onto a side street, turn the lights off and back on and both come on normally and i drive home no problems, any thoughts? Next issue is i just got a coil replaced from the classic leaky valve cover gasket. After driving a little while after picking it up i noticed a slight amount of smoke and a burning odor entering through the vents into the cabin. Is this just something burning off from the work that was performed and not to be worried about or is it something deeper that i should bring it back in for and have them look at? Thanks for the help.

the hids.. did u cut wires or did u go str8 with the correct aftermarket HIDs.. what brand.. and how did the install go?

Aftermarket kit designed specifically for that bulb type, no cutting of wires, and the install was done by a local custom shop for 50 bucks, i figured it's well worth it for that price, looks a lot cleaner that i probably would have done too. Oh and the brand im not really sure, i stumbled across this site, www.blinglights.com .

ok....I know whats happening but I dont know why, Mine do this too....when you have the auto setting on and you start your car have someone stand out front (mine is the passenger one always,) when you start the car the light will flicker(flash) and will shut off.....either turn your highs on for a second or turn your lights off for a second.... My light (passenger) will stop working if I flash my highs a couple of time (kinda fast)....I just figured that balast cant keep up and its just to warm up shut off warm up shut off and so on...

Hope this helps you and hope someon helps us...

I have the plug and play kit...

Your oil smell could very well be from spilled oil on the exhaust from the gasket change. However, just be sure that's what it is and you didn't have the cover installed incorrectly and it's leaking oil. Just get a mirror and look all around the cover to see it's sealed up tight.

Weak Ballasts

SilverLS said:
ok....I know whats happening but I dont know why, Mine do this too....when you have the auto setting on and you start your car have someone stand out front (mine is the passenger one always,) when you start the car the light will flicker(flash) and will shut off.....either turn your highs on for a second or turn your lights off for a second.... My light (passenger) will stop working if I flash my highs a couple of time (kinda fast)....I just figured that balast cant keep up and its just to warm up shut off warm up shut off and so on...

Hope this helps you and hope someon helps us...

I have the plug and play kit...

This condition is usually caused by weak ballasts. Upon the initial start, the ballast puts a burst of energy to the light to get it to fire and then provides enough juice to keep it lit. When you have lower end, or weak ballasts, after the initial burst the ballasts do not recharge at the proper rate and can not keep up with the demand of the restart or the hi - low change.

THanks for the responses, i'll look around and make sure everything is visually ok. And as far as the lights mine is the exact same way, it is only the passenger one that does it, i guess it's not a huge deal since there's an easy remedy.

well I though this too....But I switched them out....and it does it again with only the passenger....Im not sure why only the passenger one does it....

I have had this happen on my factory Hella BMW ballasts on my M3 and its the Igniter not firing at the correct voltage. Turn the lights off and back on and dont worry about it.

//M-zilla said:
I have had this happen on my factory Hella BMW ballasts on my M3 and its the Igniter not firing at the correct voltage. Turn the lights off and back on and dont worry about it.
thats what ive learned to do...

not to be mean.. but i jus think u have a cheap brand of HIDs ... i mean i barely ever heard of 43k HIDs.. and blinglights is another brand i ever heard of.. i was told with my HIDs NOT to leave the day light running lights on.. but i still leave them on with no problem.. once or twice when i turned them on one wouldnt turn on.. but that was twice in 6 months.. if u have a lower end brand u cant use the day light running lights.. jus turn ur lights on and off according to the time of day.. its ur best bet to get rid of the problem

Tests reveal that color temps higher than 4300K actually reduce the visable light to the road.

Members online

No members online now.
Back