Interior lighting won't shut off... Help!!

Lisaloveslincolns

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Lincoln Lover's,
I am a new member as of tonight, as well as a new owner of a 2003 lincoln LS
as of tonight! My husband just brought it home. Of course being sooo excited, I had to sit in it and look at all of the gadgets.. After pushing buttons and playing with the stereo, check out what is where and so on...
When I left the car, the interior lights would not shut off...I know that there are timers on them as well as my beautiful, but old 94 Mark VIII, God rest her sole!! Parts anyone?.... Any how, when I went to push them back off, it acted as if the buttons would not turn them off... Does anyone know what may cause this to happen!

I think next to the headlight control there is a little...like roller button thing (I'm terrible with names). Push that back down.

Welcome aboard.

And yes, I'd check the dimming switch to the left of the steering wheel, just right of the headlight switch. Make sure it's not scrolled all the way up.

Hello Fellow Lincoln Lover's,
I am a new member as of tonight, as well as a new owner of a 2003 lincoln LS
as of tonight! My husband just brought it home. Of course being sooo excited, I had to sit in it and look at all of the gadgets.. After pushing buttons and playing with the stereo, check out what is where and so on...
When I left the car, the interior lights would not shut off...I know that there are timers on them as well as my beautiful, but old 94 Mark VIII, God rest her sole!! Parts anyone?.... Any how, when I went to push them back off, it acted as if the buttons would not turn them off... Does anyone know what may cause this to happen!

Welcome. Please tell us if you have a V6 or V8 engine. BTW, its ok to check with the hubby unit about this if you don't know. :D

Frankly, its hard to figure out what you are describing. Yes, the car has an autolamp system that leaves the interior lights on for a certain period of time after you shut the doors. The timer delay can be changed, but I believe its not a straightforward process on the 2003 model. It is described in the Owner's Guide, though.

Again, not sure what you mean by "push them back off". Which lights did you try to turn off? Which switch are you referring to?

Now here's the important point. The LS is equipped with a "battery saver" system that will shut off lights after they have been on for about 30 minutes. This system is handy if you, for example, leave the trunk open (trunk light is on) for a while. After about half an hour, the battery saver system will turn that light off to, well, save the battery. It works for interior lights too, and is pretty idiot-proof, so you don't have to worry about draining your battery.

Did your car come with an owner's kit? The full owner's kit includes a leather binder with the manual and a bunch of other guides. If you don't have one, let me know because I have an extra from my old 2003 that is in perfect shape and yours if you want it. Reading the manual cover to cover and understanding how the car works adds to the enjoyment.

I have a 2002 lincoln ls v8, I've replaced the fuse for the door lights and dome, my dimmer switch does work b/c all my lights dim down but not the dome lights, when I turn the car on or off all the lights turn off but my map lights won't. please need some help.

Welcome. Please tell us if you have a V6 or V8 engine. BTW, its ok to check with the hubby unit about this if you don't know. :D

Frankly, its hard to figure out what you are describing. Yes, the car has an autolamp system that leaves the interior lights on for a certain period of time after you shut the doors. The timer delay can be changed, but I believe its not a straightforward process on the 2003 model. It is described in the Owner's Guide, though.

Again, not sure what you mean by "push them back off". Which lights did you try to turn off? Which switch are you referring to?

Now here's the important point. The LS is equipped with a "battery saver" system that will shut off lights after they have been on for about 30 minutes. This system is handy if you, for example, leave the trunk open (trunk light is on) for a while. After about half an hour, the battery saver system will turn that light off to, well, save the battery. It works for interior lights too, and is pretty idiot-proof, so you don't have to worry about draining your battery.

Did your car come with an owner's kit? The full owner's kit includes a leather binder with the manual and a bunch of other guides. If you don't have one, let me know because I have an extra from my old 2003 that is in perfect shape and yours if you want it. Reading the manual cover to cover and understanding how the car works adds to the enjoyment.

I have a 2002 lincoln ls v8, I've replaced the fuse for the door lights and dome, my dimmer switch does work b/c all my lights dim down but not the dome lights, when I turn the car on or off all the lights turn off but my map lights won't. please need some help.

Have you pushed the buttons at the map lights to turn them off? (Note that they will still stay on if any doors are open or the timer hasn't expired.)

yes there all off, it's weird bc my dimmer switch works great and I don't have a ajar on any my doors at all.

Have you pushed the buttons at the map lights to turn them off? (Note that they will still stay on if any doors are open or the timer hasn't expired.)

yes its on the whole time I drive, my door lights turn off but the dome lights seem to just stay on, I've even dimmed down the lights all the way off and yet still stay on.

so is the dome light on the whole time you drive?

are these bulbs incondescent oem or are they aftermarket led?

if they are led you will need to install a diode so the lights turn off completely when you dont need them on

well then if you dont have the dimmer switch turned up all the way, and the map light buttons are not in the on position, then it sounds like you either have a problem with the switches or the wiring. i would think that if it was a problem with the computer that controls those lights it would be effecting all of them including the foot lights.

you can take it apart and test the switch function with a multimeter set to test continuity. if those lights are like most of the lights in the car, then they have 12v all the time and the ground turns on and off, so if you have a short in the wire that could cause them to be on all the time also.

I had my radio on all day without the car running, and ran out of power to start the car, so I got a jump. My interior lights came on and stayed on until the battery fully charged. Never had the problem again. Strange but true.

I would lean toward a bad battery, or a dimmer switch.... you sure the dimmer roller is down.. i know it sounds stupid, but it doesnt take much to go too high....

does your LS have a message center in the cluster?

I have this exact same issue right now

What was the resolve???

I have this exact same issue right now

What was the resolve???

Could you elaborate on this please? A few different things were discussed in this thread. Be as detailed as possible.

if you are referring to what this thread started about, interior lights not shutting off, you need to check your dimmer switch by the headlights first...

Here is the problem...she is trying to convey...when you shut the car off, take out the key, the interior lights will dim down in a few seconds and then off. The problem is, the lights come back up and on and will kill your battery. That is the problem I have, but I don't know what to change.

Last edited:
The problem..take the key out, lights dim down and off...after a minute or two they come back up and on killing the battery. What do I replace?

well you need to figure out what is causing them to come back on, it could be a faulty door pin, wiring, or a module itself.

Here is the problem...she is trying to convey...when you shut the car off, take out the key, the interior lights will dim down in a few seconds and then off. The problem is, the lights come back up and on and will kill your battery. That is the problem I have, but I don't know what to change.
I have a related but different question. 1995 Town Car (Signature). The passenger door developed a closing problem a couple of days ago. It stays closed enough to be safe while driving, but not enough to engage the "door pin" or whatever turns off the "Door Ajar" light and the interior lights. Until I can get it to the mechanic, I have been disconnecting a battery cable to prevent draining the power. Do I really need to do this, or is there a battery-saver timer on the 1995 Town Car, and will it turn the lights off even if the one door is not fully latched?

... or is there a battery-saver timer on the 1995 Town Car, and will it turn the lights off even if the one door is not fully latched?

You really should ask this in the TC forum, the LS is nothing like the TC. That said, I believe there should be a battery saver. My 94 had one. As long as the switch isn't opening and closing, it should time out and shut down. Close the doors and go back after 20 or 30 minutes and look though the window to see if the lights have gone off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back