Intake manifold tuning valve vacuum leak causing missfires?

REDBED

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Car running rough at idle until reaching operating temp. Finally check engine light and off to shop. Mech said there was a vacuum leak from one of the IMT valves. Sealed the valve to manifold using that black caulk (Sorry dont know correct name of product). How can there be vacuum on these valves yet when the O ring fails oil drips out and on to the manifold? Ordered 2 new O rings from Tasca for when the caulk fails.

oil only leaked out of the lower one for me. top one would suck air
no mis-fires for me. what code(s) came up?
i would clean the MAF and throttle body for giggles if you havent done it in the past yr

Top one had leak. Didn't ask for codes. Funy thing is the mech said the plastic mating surface of the top one looked looked distorted and was causing leak. Never heard that one. New o ring and sealant will hopefully fix it. Clean the MAF every time I change the filter

the o-ring is what seals it, so i dont think the mating surface has anything to do with it unless the valve itself is junked, which i guess is possible. or if something is stripped out and it cant tighten to the correct torque spec.. other than that i dont know. what did you use as sealant?

and are you sure it was missing?
my guess is that it was a lean code not a mis code but then again i am guessing. mine threw a lean code when the o-rings were leaking. cleaned the maf and the code went away before i replaced the rings though, so it is possible that i had no codes at all for the rings

O-rings

Mine leaked too, on the 01V6, top. The o-ring had flattened, so I sealed it up with high temp sealant, worked for about a year, I have the new o-ring, just need some good weather to install it. Runs rough on cold mornings. Heat makes everything expand, cold contract.

Ive been having rough idle problems until it warms up. then i had a total engine fail. Mechanic cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. Engine light came on again. THen when i was taking it in the engine light didnt come on when i started it but took it in anyways. Threw a code saying left bank was running lean, which was what started it to begin with and replaced fuel filter, but light came on again and the that's when i had the engine failure. Mechanic said theyre trying to pinpoint the lean problem

Ive been having rough idle problems until it warms up. then i had a total engine fail. Mechanic cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. Engine light came on again. THen when i was taking it in the engine light didnt come on when i started it but took it in anyways. Threw a code saying left bank was running lean, which was what started it to begin with and replaced fuel filter, but light came on again and the that's when i had the engine failure. Mechanic said theyre trying to pinpoint the lean problem

Engine fail?

ya. it just quit and couldn't get it to idle and it would just die. Had to call AAA to come tow it to my mechanic

Mine leaked too, on the 01V6, top. The o-ring had flattened, so I sealed it up with high temp sealant, worked for about a year, I have the new o-ring, just need some good weather to install it. Runs rough on cold mornings. Heat makes everything expand, cold contract.

i dont know about the 01, but on an 05 the top one was really easy to do. i just did it a few weeks ago. if you scan thru my recent posts i posted in the threads for it regarding a 'shortcut'. shortcut is great for the top one, you could probably do it in under an hr. the bottom one is a diff story IMO. i would save it for the next time i took off the intake manifold

what yr? how many miles?
i think the o-rings contributed to my lean code.
what octane of fuel are you running? i bet less than 91 octane combined with running lean would shut her down on a cold day.

my rings were junk on an 05 ~75k miles. so i wouldnt be shocked if yours are junk too

sounds like PCV

vacuum leaks at PCV valve and connector hoses will cause rough idle or IAC valve failure will cause engine idle to oscillate or completely fail.

vacuum leaks at PCV valve and connector hoses will cause rough idle or IAC valve failure will cause engine idle to oscillate or completely fail.

No IAC on 2003 (and up).

Mech's fix failed after 3 days. Bought and installed new O rings, problem solved. Will be changing these when coil and plugs are done next time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back