Instructions to change air suspension compressor?

groove65 said:
I have a 1995 Mark VIII and I've ordered a replacement compressor from http://www.americanairsuspension.com and I wonder if anyone has detailed instructions or pics of how to change the compressor? :confused:

Also any tips/tricks would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
:D
AIR. Only way to fly.

Lust my opinion, sorry I meant just. Or did I, SIG?:rolleyes:

HELP!!!

...the part arrives tomorrow!!! :shifty:

Either way, I'll let you know how it goes and if I can, I'll take some pics of the process to share with everyone. :D

Detailed instructions?

I can give you a quick overview from memory though. Some people prefer to remove the bumper, but I've always changed my compressor going through the passenger wheel well.

Turn off air ride, remove passenger tire.
remove inner wheel well. (plastic clips and screws)
You'll be able to see the compressor behind the big plastic air silencer. Remove that and don't bother reinstalling. It might be easiest to temporarily remove the temporarily remove the airfilter at this time too.
Four bolts hold the air compressor in place, two in the front, two in the rear.
There are four air lines going into the compressor. Press the orange ringed compression fitting and pull the lines out. The order isn't important.
There's an electrical plug towards the front of the compressor, you'll need to disconnect this.

Then, do the reverse. Put the rubber mounts on the compressor, put it in place. Connect the electrical plug. Screw down the four bolts. Reinstall the air filter. Reinstall the inner wheel well. Put the wheel back on, lower the car, turn the air ride back on.

For more details check www.markviii.org and use the advanced search function.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help out! :D

While I'm not completely incompetent, I'm not a mechanic either; so every bit of advice helps.

Thanks again! :yourock:

I'm STUCK!!!

I received the new compressor from Eddie at www.americanairsuspension.com and while the compressor comes on and produces air pressure (i can feel it in the output line) and it is making to the dryer (had a small hiss from one of the air lines that I fixed by pushing in a bit more) it's not lifting the car. :confused:

I tried putting some soapy water on the components around the compressor and I don't see any bubbles? I cycled the system several times as well...nothing??? :mad:

One odd thing (at least to me) was that the entire system vented (rear was up and the front down) so now the whole car is slammed to the ground.

My plan is to search these forums for suggestions and if I don't find anything or hear anything I'm going to flip the air suspension switch, put the car up on jack stands, pull the tires off and visually inspect the system and try a soap test while the compressor is running.

Any suggestions gang?

BTW...I highly recommend Eddie at www.americanairsuspension.com; he returned both of my calls and answered my questions. Great guy! I also plan to post some pics and stuff of my compressor change because Eddie gave me an invaluable tip to get the air lines off of the dryer. :D

Here's my car prior to the compressor install:

LSC Compressor Repair 003.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 003.jpg

Have you looked for leaks else where? For example, at one point my rear airsprings would rise. The problem: the cross member behind the seat had broken, cutting one of the plastic air lines feeding those two springs. I repaired the air line and everything worked fine.

You can't ever completely rule out product failure, but knowing how thoroughly Eddie tests his product, it's highly unlikely.

The compressor is pushing air and tonight I'll put the car up on jack stands and check each wheel and line. Thanks!

If the car is jacked the air sensors shouldn't work from what I've heard.

If you are having problems call Eddie. He'll talk you through things while on the phone... He's the best... Friendliest.... and most available air ride service you can find.

I just talked to him yesterday and it sure saved me a lot of time searching....

It's fixed!

:D

The problem? The four air lines that are inserted into the dryer weren't pushed in far enough.

I'm adding some pics below to help anyone else that happens to try and change the air suspension compressor themselves. Thanks to everyone who replied and assisted; it's much appreciated! :waving:

First of all I'm using Calabrio's instructions he sent me earlier (they were helpful) in this thread and adding a few items.

Here ya go:
Some people prefer to remove the bumper, but I've always changed my compressor going through the passenger wheel well.

Turn off air ride, remove passenger tire.

Remove inner wheel well. (plastic clips and screws)

LSC Compressor Repair 007.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 009.jpg

You'll be able to see the compressor behind the big plastic air silencer; remove that and don't bother reinstalling. It might be easiest to temporarily remove the airfilter at this time too.

Remove air filter (top side of engine compartment)

LSC Compressor Repair 010.jpg

Remove bolts that hold the air silencer

LSC Compressor Repair 011.jpg

Removing the air silencer
LSC Compressor Repair 012.jpg

This pic shows the compressor after the silencer has been removed
LSC Compressor Repair 013.jpg

Four bolts hold the air compressor in place, two in the front, two in the rear.

Remove air hose toward the back of the unit.

There are four air lines going into the compressor. Press the orange ringed compression fitting and pull the lines out. The order isn't important. A trick the Eddie from www.americanairsuspension.com told me was to use a small wrench as shown in the pic below to remove the air lines. Mine were stuck and I spent an hour trying to carefully remove them without damaging them but this trick worked immediately. Just pull back the rubber coating thats over the air line, insert wrech and push the orange collar toward the dryer and pull the air line out.

LSC Compressor Repair 018.jpg

There's an electrical plug towards the front of the compressor, you'll need to disconnect this. This view is looking down through the light access door from the top of the engine compartment.

LSC Compressor Repair 017.jpg

Then, do the reverse. Put the rubber mounts on the compressor (mine were already attached), put it in place. Connect the electrical plug. Connect air hose toward the back of the unit. Screw down the four bolts (snug them down; they won't tighten to where theres not movement of the compressor, so don't try, it's supposed to move and the rubber mounts keep it from being noisey). Reinstall the four air lines to the dryer (ensure that you pull back the rubber coating far enough to allow about 3/4" of the air line to be inserted into the dryer. This is why my car wouldn't raise after I installed my new compressor). Reinstall the air filter. Reinstall the inner wheel well. Put the wheel back on, lower the car, turn the air ride back on.

That's it! I hope this helps other memebers.

LSC Compressor Repair 007.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 009.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 011.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 012.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 013.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 017.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 018.jpg

LSC Compressor Repair 010.jpg

Write this up as a tech article and submit it to Joeychgo, so it can be added to the tech section. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back