Installed V1 into my LS

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I posted a new thread with something for my LS.

This weekend I picked up a ValentineOne Detector. I installed it last night permanently (except for the concealed display that I will mod into the cluster).

For those unfamiliar with the V1, you can have the actual unit mounted somewhere in the car for detection, then have the actual display mounted elsewhere for easy viewing and/or discreet viewing.

I first modified the supplied sun visor bracket that clips onto unit to sit against the windshield and up inside of the headliner. It is kind of difficult to explain, but the clip basically latches up into the headliner where it meets the windshield, then comes back against the windshield for support and then to the unit.

This bracket holds the unit very well, I then added some small strips of velcro above where the unit will sit against the headliner and attached the opposite end on the unit. This keeps it stationary and very snug. I also used a level to make sure the detector was perfectly positioned to accept waves over my mirror.

My original location was to mount it on the passenger side of the mirror, however I found I could mount it easier and have better viewing for the unit if it was on the driver's. The unit's rear facing sensor looks directly behind me into the rear window with the front facing sensor being shot directly over the mirror.

I hardwired into my mirror, it was kind of annoying as there is pretty much zero slack to the mirror cable. So soldering was very tedious.

It looks very good and I was extremely happy with the result. I have plans to mod the concealed display into the cluster somewhere eventually when I have more time, but for now it is pretty good.

Here are some photos, sorry the quality is pretty sh!tty, but I have a dark LS... lol

60925440.jpg

20320509.jpg

56762790.jpg

59425545.jpg

It is working great, I am still learning how it works, but it is definitely a big +1 to the cool factor inside my LS!

looks cool.

I ordered a garmin nuvi 295w...yeah its only a 3.5" gps but it looks sleek and
slim and will fit nicely on the side of the dash.

The stock nav maps are horrible and i just couldn't deal with the interface anymore.

Im jealous of your interior!!

Nice. Definitely one my list to purchase.

Great purchase. THE PREMIER radar detector on the market today. If I sped, that's the o e I would buy. Two thumbs up :)

$400 bucks for a radar detector seems pretty steep though.

I can see that price reasonable if it jammed the cops signal too....but damn.

Thanks for the comments.

Yea it is pretty sweet. And actually this morning (the first day with it hardwired officially). Pulling out of my neighborhood and across the street was an Officer setting up his patrol car for speed enforcement. As I was passing he had no radar on, but when I got down the road, he finally started shooting and the detector went crazy as he was shooting a car driving the opposite direction of me... Needless to say, they got a ticket as he pulled out and threw the blue n reds on for his first shoot of the morning!

I was pretty pumped as my first mile with the ValentineOne was already an indication of it working properly!

Yes it is expensive, luckily I got a nearly brand new one (most updated one avail. with POP) for a used price.

I think the unit is 400 + another 50ish for the concealed display.

I do not speed very often, but sometimes on the freeway I find myself going way faster than I thought and it is pretty scary when you look down and you are going 90+ without trying to speed!

Plus the cool factor of it is pretty sweet IMO. I think it is pretty trashy to have them suction cupped to your window in the middle with a coiled cord bouncing around on your dash... Okay maybe I am just crazy and find lame things cool... haha

Plus the cool factor of it is pretty sweet IMO. I think it is pretty trashy to have them suction cupped to your window in the middle with a coiled cord bouncing around on your dash... Okay maybe I am just crazy and find lame things cool... haha

That is pretty cool..

Nahh.. It sucks when you get pulled over with a detector.. They look at it and say you have one and you still couldn't slow down.. So up high like that prevents that dumba$$ coment/look.. :cool:

Your not crazy.. I find things cool that other people say are stupid..

So, the valentine is better than the Passport 9500? I've read alot of great reviews on the passport, but havent' saw a comparisson of the two.

+1, took the words out of my mouth.

The real big differnce is the ARROWS, nice to know which direction to look for the cops. I have one and it is great, has never failed me.

Still waiting to be shot by one. Whilst going the speed limit of course!

I have only had it a few days.

I read on one of the forums (not Radar Busters) that the lower the better for laser. Your only chance with laser is to catch some scatter and what I read said that up high wouldn't catch that scatter. On my way home from work one day one of the cars ahead of me was shot with a laser and I got a enough scatter to slow before I was hit. Even then I was only able to slow ~5kts, but that was enough to not attract his attention. The CHP is using laser more and more.

Yea I think laser is becoming standard for the OHP here too. Unfortunately, I am one of the few states where laser jammers are illegal. Laser detection is pointless if you're speeding already, because you have been shot (unless you got lucky and caught some random reflection).

Luckily I do not speed much.

. Laser detection is pointless if you're speeding already, because you have been shot (unless you got lucky and caught some random reflection).

That is true for instant on radar bands like Ka.

Best protection is not to speed and/or lead the pack, drive recklessly, and have all of your lights working properly.

I've owned more detectors in my 25 years of driving than I recall. The V1's arrows and bogey counter is invaluable. In Maryland its not unusual for those portable "your speed is" signs to be sitting by the side of the B/W Parkway for weeks unattended, waiting for the state to come move them I guess. Oftentimes the display is off, but based on the signal from the V1, the actual radar gun hanging underneath is still on. Many times no more than 1/4 mile after that sign? Is a Park Police officer in his cruiser in the woods with his radar gun turned on. A regular detector wouldnt be able to tell you about the cop, and most likely you'd ignore the detectors beep because you think it's just the portable sign thats giving off the signal. The V1's bogey counter will show "2" in that situation AND the arrow will switch from just the front arrow to the front AND back arrow as you pass the sign but still have the cruiser just ahead of you. V1 is perfect in situations like that. The arrows are also great when you are flying down I-81 from Virginia into NC and the beeps begin to go off, but the arrows let you know that the signal is coming from that shopping center off to the side of the highway and not from ahead. Allows me to leave the cruise at 85 and not have to break/become paranoid.

My V1 is actually mounted on my back deck of my LS with the radar antenna facing towards the front windshield. I purchased a spare 3rd brakelight cover that sits over the V1 for security purposes. (open end of the cover is facing forward). I have the remote display mounted upper left corner of the windshield. In that location its perfect..in my peripheral vision but invisible from outside of the car. I mounted a remote power button in that blank plate just below the trunk release/fuel tank door release buttons. Not uncommon for me to turn on the V1 on certain local boulevards where speed traps are common..then shut it off a mile or so later when I get back into city traffic situations. And now with Marylands proliferation of speed cameras all around, Im finding myself using the V1 more and more.

I pick up radar with PLENTY of distance and believe it or not, pick up laser just fine even with the V1 on the back deck and covered. High mounted LED 3rd brake lights from SUV's sitting in front of me at stop lights sometimes set off the laser. Also, in Maryland we often have speed cameras on I-95 in construction areas. It will be one of those portable roadside "you are going this speed" signs first. Then maybe 1/8th of a mile later in the median/in the construction zone is a SUV that has what looks like 3-4 cameras and devices mounted on the front bumper. As you pass this vehicle the cameras on the front snap you if you are going 12mph or more over the limit. Apparently it uses laser to pick you out from the pack. My V1..mounted on the back deck and with the entire back (control panel portion which is facing the back of the car) of the V1 covered..STILL somehow picks up the laser from the SUV..each and every time. (although I've already slowed due to the radar detection first)

My LS was broken into a couple months ago. My headrests were stolen, head unit was attempted to be stolen, glovebox ransacked, armrest compartment ransacked, compartments behind the seats ransacked. But the thieves never saw the $400 V1 sitting on the back deck under the 3rd brake light cover. LOL

Car thieves are in and out quick. I had a radar detector stolen from my friend's apartment building in Illinois and they left the cord, the cop said they do that most of the time.

My friend bought a Valentine One for his Porsche Cayman a few months ago, he loves it.

Members online

Back