IMRC rebuilding/rebushing

Psychostang

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my 1996 Gen I IMRC plate pivot bushings are leaking. What do you people recommend as a fix. Can these bushings be replaced? Is there a part number for them?

I've been looking for an answer to this question for a while now. I've yet to find an answer, so I'll be subscribing to this thread.

Are your leaking air too?

Ok, thanks for your help. I'll just take them off, and see if I can get a part number off of the bushings/bearings. If that fails, I'll just try to seal them. Gives me an excuse to remove the upper intake and IMRC plates and clean them. Not to mention the throttle body and iac and egr! I can also see what the valves look like!

The front one can be "sealed" without much difficulty. You can use a tiny freeze plug or even a dopled dime or something to seal the outside of the bearing. I was able to do this with mine. But the back is another issue. Since the shaft exits, you can't cover it.

As for the cost of replacing them new, the runners are hard to find and cost about $500 each side. The vacuum units are probably not even available anymore.

That's another thing, the sensor on bank one is stuck in the open position. The actuator works fine. Are these things removeable, or do you have to get a whole new actuator?

You have a '96, I didn't think those were vacuum activated like the earlier ones.

Have you had any success in finding a way to rebuild/reseal these things? I'm still coming up blank.

Of course I could always delete them and add a supercharger, but that's not really practical with a 200k car.

My 96 is vacuum. I've taken both of them apart. There is an oring on both the front and rear sections. I'm going to see if I can match them up to something. That should take care of the leaks. The bearings themselves have a p/n number, its 1680D and its made by NMB corporation. The bearings themselves are still good.

ON another note, I will definately be installing one of the air/oil seperators, as my whole intake track is completely covered in burnt/coked on oil. The heads, especially the secondary ports are absolutely nasty!!!

I think I found a motorcraft p/n for the vacuum actuators. Motorcarft calls them choke pulloffs. I have to do a little more investigation into that. The p/n's are CK2256 and CK2257.

So the butterfly assemblies come apart and can be disassembled from the aluminum? The bearing can be removed from the assembly? And the o-ring is pressed into the aluminum runner and needs to be pressed in there?

I was racing Monday morning when I had my IRMCs off so I didn't have an opportunity to really study it.

You won't be happy with what you see on the non-injector side of the intake valve. Tons of deposits will be sitting on top of the valve stem.

Your not kidding. I was going to take a picture when I got everything apart, but it was so much worse than I could ever imagine. I couldn't do it!

So the butterfly assemblies come apart and can be disassembled from the aluminum? The bearing can be removed from the assembly? And the o-ring is pressed into the aluminum runner and needs to be pressed in there?

I was racing Monday morning when I had my IRMCs off so I didn't have an opportunity to really study it.

Yes, all you have to do is remove the 2 screws from each blade and then gently pull out the rod. It will prolly be a little difficult on the first pull, due to any coke buildup. Also there are 3 stop clips on the underside that you have to hold up, so the rod will clear. OTher than that, they come right out. The bearings are pressed in from the outside, but there is no way to get at them from the inside. So, you would prolly have to destroy them in order to get them out. There is an oring of some sore on each end of the rod. This is what seals the plates. I originally thought the rod was a press fit into the bearings.

Hey AHD

I just noticed this post and found a dozen left and right new complete runners, I thought you were wanting the vacuum actuators in the pm. They are F3LY-9U531-E/F and list for $487.53 and cost LVC $365.65. They are discontinued.

Last edited:
Ok, i just finished cleaning and reassembly of the left side IMRC plate. I found some orings at Autozone, that seem to work. They are slightly larger than the bearing openings, but with a little hammer persuasion the popped in. Now before, I noticed the rods spinning inside the bearings inner bore. Not anymore. Plates are nice and clean. Here's a few pics.

Lt IMRC.jpg

Lt IMRC bottom.jpg

Lt IMRC1.jpg

How long have you owned your 96 Mark VIII and what oil have you been using?

I've owned it since October of 2005. The previous owner bought it from a local used car place in December of 1999. It went thru several auctions, and was originally registered as a fleet vehicle. I use castrol 10w-30.
I got it with 84,811 miles on it. It now has just over 100,000 miles.

Edit: IF you concerned about the coating on the gasket face, I think thats from having it soaking in the soap solution. These things were nasty. The soap solution was dark brown mud color.

Members online

No members online now.
Back