Improving V6 performance.

JBRoss

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been awhile since i've been here.

I got a question for you guys. I have a Gen1 V6 LS, only 210 HP, and I'm wanting to give it a little more power. What are my best options? What brands?

I expected the obligatory "get a new car" answer. Now is there an actual answer to my question?

I expected the obligatory "get a new car" answer. Now is there an actual answer to my question?

I would first start making sure every maintenance item you can do has been done so you can get the most out of her stock wise. COPs, spark plugs, air/fuel filer, etc.

Get a scanner and start checking to see if everything is in tip-top shape.

Get a dyno.

Then I guess after all that you can start buying after market stuff.

After market intake (KKN for V6)
After market exhaust, straight pipe, x pipe, etc.

Do you have a spare tire or an actual 5th tire replacement? It might be better to just have the spare or not at all depending on where you live. for instance I'm in Hawaii so I really don't care when I get a flat becuase insurance services will be out in like 5 minutes, it's covered, then I just drive home and put the real tire on.

Just a thought as it's heavy and adds a lot of weight.

Also if you drive arond with a lot of stuff in the trunk or car it might be good to get rid of it.

It sounds stupid but little things add up. I think especially for this car because you have to be so meticulous to get everything out of it.

I think you can also still get it tuned to make it push out a little more power but you'll have to search around for that stuff. I think it's the SCTX?

Just some thoughts.

That would be the actual answer.....

That said your only cost effective options (assuming you're not interested in the expense of a turbo or blower) are an intake w/cone type filter, Magnaflow cat-back (includes X-pipe) and a tune from Torrie. I knew a guy that put 2.5L heads on a 3.0L Contour engine and picked up some serious HP. Oh, yea, port and polish the heads.

That would be the actual answer.....

That said your only cost effective options (assuming you're not interested in the expense of a turbo or blower) are an intake w/cone type filter, Magnaflow cat-back (includes X-pipe) and a tune from Torrie. I knew a guy that put 2.5L heads on a 3.0L Contour engine and picked up some serious HP. Oh, yea, port and polish the heads.

Is that like cleaning the heads and filing them down for smoother op?
Or is that like boring it?

Is that like cleaning the heads and filing them down for smoother op?
Or is that like boring it?

It's a combination of honing out the intake ports and polishing them smooth. The danger is, as the head is cast aluminum, in honing (grinding) the port a void in the cast may be exposed. This happened to a friend and the head was useless for anything but a coffee table!

It's a combination of honing out the intake ports and polishing them smooth. The danger is, as the head is cast aluminum, in honing (grinding) the port a void in the cast may be exposed. This happened to a friend and the head was useless for anything but a coffee table!

Ah nice, I found a picture to help me fathom.

image.jpg

And have you seen those coffee tables? I think they're classy and manly.
image.jpg

I really don't think intake and exhaust do much of anything.

Thats why i said get a new car. I have both on mine and it doesnt drive faster than it did stock. sounds nice though.

i put a intake and a exhaust on my 00 V6, sounded a lot better, but didnt really do much. getting a V8 was the best decision i made.

however if you really want to go faster with out the help of a for sale sign, you really have three main options, bottle, blower, or turbo.

I would first start making sure every maintenance item you can do has been done so you can get the most out of her stock wise. COPs, spark plugs, air/fuel filer, etc.

Get a scanner and start checking to see if everything is in tip-top shape.

Get a dyno.

Then I guess after all that you can start buying after market stuff.

After market intake (KKN for V6)
After market exhaust, straight pipe, x pipe, etc.

Do you have a spare tire or an actual 5th tire replacement? It might be better to just have the spare or not at all depending on where you live. for instance I'm in Hawaii so I really don't care when I get a flat becuase insurance services will be out in like 5 minutes, it's covered, then I just drive home and put the real tire on.

Just a thought as it's heavy and adds a lot of weight.

Also if you drive arond with a lot of stuff in the trunk or car it might be good to get rid of it.

It sounds stupid but little things add up. I think especially for this car because you have to be so meticulous to get everything out of it.

I think you can also still get it tuned to make it push out a little more power but you'll have to search around for that stuff. I think it's the SCTX?

Just some thoughts.

I'll definitely check into those things. Especially getting rid of the spare and such.

I'm a full time college student, getting my certificate in Autobody, so getting a new car altogether isn't an option for me. At least till I get my certificate and start working in my field.

Thanks for the info

i put a intake and a exhaust on my 00 V6, sounded a lot better, but didnt really do much. getting a V8 was the best decision.

however if you really want to go faster with out the help of a for sale sign, you really have three main options, bottle, blower, or turbo.

I haven't seen many V6s with those on there, are they safe for the engine? Like, won't put too much stress on it, or what?

I haven't seen many V6s with those on there
there has been a couple over the years, but with the cost associate with them (except for the bottle) it is usually cheaper to sell the car and either upgrade to a V8 or a faster car in general

are they safe for the engine?
they can be, if done right, and you dont get carried away.

won't put too much stress on it, or what?
part of making more power out of the same engine will always put more stress on that motor.

these cars arent that cool. just maintain this car and keep your expenses down until you can afford something more performance-oriented.

these cars arent that cool. just maintain this car and keep your expenses down until you can afford something more performance-oriented.

Oh Brother, more LS Bashing :(

Don't tell that to the guy in the G8 GT that I left yesterday.

Psh. I love my LS. Definitely the coolest car I've owned. But I do want to upgrade to something quicker eventually. I was looking at a Focus ST for next year, once I get some more money saved up.

Oh Brother, more LS Bashing :(

Don't tell that to the guy in the G8 GT that I left yesterday.

he has a 2000 v6.
imagine your 06 w/o the shiny grill, half the power/torque, and 6 yrs older. i repeat: his car is not that cool

was the G8 GT in a parking spot or what?
the LS can't run with a 13 second car.

my guess is that it depends what kinda race it is. a g8 gt has a 6.0L vs the ls's 3.9. thats a lotta weight im guessing. i would say its possible in a short stop light to stop light thing, but who knows

my guess is that it depends what kinda race it is. a g8 gt has a 6.0L vs the ls's 3.9. thats a lotta weight im guessing. i would say its possible in a short stop light to stop light thing, but who knows

No, I know personally from owning an 04 Ls and racing a g8 light to light getting embarrassed. I had an Intake and completely straight piped exhaust

was the G8 GT in a parking spot or what?
the LS can't run with a 13 second car.

We were at 75 mph already. He tried one of those pass on the right moves. I saw him as I was dropping into 4th. I heard him get on it. When I backed out of it I was doing (UpstairChris close your eyes) 130 mph. I will bet he backed out after realizing it was going to be a challenge. People around here are a bunch of flip flop wearing no driving sunscreen saturated low octane fuel buying pu55ies. Besides, from 75 mph, the LS is a monster no matter what year.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

he has a 2000 v6.
imagine your 06 w/o the shiny grill, half the power/torque, and 6 yrs older. i repeat: his car is not that cool

There is a guy that has a video of his 5speed running around and it looks pretty fun.

We were at 75 mph already. He tried one of those pass on the right moves. I saw him as I was dropping into 4th. I heard him get on it. When I backed out of it I was doing (UpstairChris close your eyes) 130 mph. I will bet he backed out after realizing it was going to be a challenge. People around here are a bunch of flip flop wearing no driving sunscreen saturated low octane fuel buying pu55ies. Besides, from 75 mph, the LS is a monster no matter what year.

i believe that story.
a lot of people get gun shy once they cross 85 in my experience. i would guess that the g8 would take the v8 ls if two competent drivers were wheeling as the poster above said tho. poster above may have been messing with the gtp g8 tho. the 'p' adds some extra...

No, I know personally from owning an 04 Ls and racing a g8 light to light getting embarrassed. I had an Intake and completely straight piped exhaust

i believe ya.

i got a v6 so i dont race unless one of those newish c300's or 3##i's or an acura takes off hard thinking they are up against an entry level luxury car they can actually beat. admittedly its comical, but a race is a race. also it seems like anyone with a genI LS wants to race too

Members online

Back