Im in heaven!

unity

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im in Heaven! Ok, really the US, which is more like limbo, but work with me here...

This past weekend project AVI8TOR received a much needed "update". It took two days between working on the Mark and helping a friend with a restoration of a 60's Studebaker truck. But I had planned on that and was in no rush.

The Mark received new Ford OEM front air shocks. I purchased 97-98 model year. The ones I removed were original factory ones and VERY shot. Only one leaked, but both shock absorber portions were toast. But thats not all. I also put on new upper and lower control arms with new sway bar end links and outer tie rods.

Essentially the entire front end was replaced. After an alignment I was on the road and could not believe how much better the ride is. Its amazing! I love it! The problem now is that I can tell how bad the back end is. I will be picking up some Sensacraps today to slap on for now. I have them on there now, but they are two years old.. and well... Sensatracks don't hold up too well.

Total cost is over $1200 in parts and it was worth every dollar.

Shawn

exactly what all did you replace? $1200 seems a little steep? I was thinking of doing the same thing this summer but didn't think it would cost over 5 0r $600?

the front struts are about $300 each, so that's $600 right there, then there's all the other front end parts, it sounds about right.

I wish I could do all that, instead I just cry in the corner thinking of the day my bags completely give out.

The front bags were $346.00 (retail $389.00). I thought I was getting a deal with Torrie from Fast parts, I was wrong and later saw them for $277 and now they go for about $300-$320. Kinda still ticked about that but other wise Torrie was good to me on other pricing.

So ya, struts $700 and about $500 for all the "Moog" (TRW) parts.

see, this is why I ask. What all would I need to rebuild the front end? Considering that buying somethings would not require me to buy others.

Yes, I did the sway bar end links and control rod bushings at LCA and at frame. The ONLY thing that was not replaced was the inner tie rods which were fine and the control rod itself.

all prices are total for BOTH sides

Control rod bushings at frame: $60
Control rod bushings at LCA: $26
Upper control arms: $106
Lower control arms (t-bird, 1996): $160
Sway bar links: $80
Outer tie rods: $78
Grade 8 strut to LCA bolts and nuts: $10
Silicon grease (not spray lube): $5
Gen II air shock: $700

That about sums it up, minus any shop stuff used up.

Gen II struts are cheaper, stiffer, lighter and supposedly last longer. The are also made of a polymer, not metal. So the bags, when folded to the inside, rest on a non-rusting surface.

But really, cause they are a lot cheaper :)

If you wanted cheap why not get Arnott? :joke
Sounds good. Im still debatin on keepin air or switching.

Members online

Back