Idle speed question for 2000 LS V8

Allen

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing the car sometime killing when coming to a stop sign or light. the RPM sometime drop to about 550 - 650 and sometime kills. I was wondering what is the average idle RPM while in drive and stopped and AC is on? And how does one adjust the Idle

I am experiencing the car sometime killing when coming to a stop sign or light. the RPM sometime drop to about 550 - 650 and sometime kills. I was wondering what is the average idle RPM while in drive and stopped and AC is on? And how does one adjust the Idle

The idle is computer controlled. Low transmission fluid can cause that symptom. That may also be your other transmission problem.

The PCM controls the idle. On you gen I, it uses an IAC valve to do this. It's very possible that your valve is sticking and needs to be replaced.
Other things to check for are air leaks, a dirty MAF, and/or marginal COPs (coils).
Is your check engine light on? (If not, it's probably the IAC.)

IAC valve or vacuum leak

remove IAC valve and clean it out with carb cleaner, see if it helps or changes things. Otherwise replace IAC.

I have what I think to be low idle but mine doesn't die .. My 00 v8 idles around 650-750 never at or above 1000.

I'm not sure if this is average or not. I am leaning towards not from the precious cars I've owned.

Wonder if the OP got this fixed ... update pls!

I have what I think to be low idle but mine doesn't die .. My 00 v8 idles around 650-750 never at or above 1000.

I'm not sure if this is average or not. I am leaning towards not from the precious cars I've owned.

Wonder if the OP got this fixed ... update pls!

Sounds normal to me.

Really? Seems a little low but all my other cars were older .. Relief none the less. One less thing to worry about.

For the 2002 lincoln LS v8 3.9L The idle should be set for 750-775. There is an idle adjustment screw on top of the throttle body(close to the firewall highest point of the motor you can't miss it.i). You will know you've found the idle control bolt when you can push it and rev the engine.push hard! Then just tighten or loosen for rpm needed.or just have someone sit in the car and rev the engine and you go look under the hood at the same time and you will see it move.

Idle control bolt

1521383731413-815111388.jpg

For the 2002 lincoln LS v8 3.9L The idle should be set for 750-775. There is an idle adjustment screw on top of the throttle body(close to the firewall highest point of the motor you can't miss it.i). You will know you've found the idle control bolt when you can push it and rev the engine.push hard! Then just tighten or loosen for rpm needed.or just have someone sit in the car and rev the engine and you go look under the hood at the same time and you will see it move.

WRONG!

Your instructions are going to cause problems and maybe damage!

Idle on the LS (as with just about everything else) is controlled by the PCM. On the first gen, it uses an IAC to do this. On the 2nd gen, it uses the electronic throttle. The bolt you are wanting to adjust, is the throttle hard stop. It is set very carefully using measurements of the throttle valve position at the factory. The service manual has warnings to never touch this for good reason.

If your idle is wrong, you need to fix the actual problem, rather then mask the symptom (and cause new problems) by adjusting the hard stop. It is not an idle adjustment!

on a cold start, she idles at 1k, once she warms up she idles at a solid 750.

Members online

No members online now.
Back