ID my cars options and??

90boss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark VIII guys,

First post here and soon to be in possession of my first Mark. I will picking up a 98 next week and driving it home from Vegas to MN. Since this car is going to be a street cruiser in the summer and bracket car also I have already started my parts search for the planned upgrades. One of the first items on the list is to make it a trac lok and put in 4:10's.

Since I do not have the car yet is there a way to know if the car has a trac lok or an open diff by using the vin. I need to get the axel code from my buddy who picked the car up for me and he has been out of town.

So say it is an open dif can I buy any 8.8 ford trac lok and put my gears on it? I also recall reading there are special cut gears for the these rear Independent suspensions. Where is the best place to locate a set a 4;10'sand trac lok?

The main plans are:
4:10's trac lok
9.5 3200 stall convertor..........who should I source this from?
sct custom 93 oct tune..........who is the go to tuner for these?
x pipe duals and cat delete
26" drag radials

No marks came from the factory with a posi..if its an LSC its an open 3:27, if its a base, open 3:08.

I would look at DB performance for the tune, they are close to you.
Circle D would be a good stall but you pay for it, a few on here have edge converters.

I am also close to you. I'm down for a meet too. I'll let you take mine for a rip if you have the need for speed. :D FWIW, I had mine dynoed at APS in Shakopee for $425 out the door with plenty of test drives and adjustments.

Go higher on the stall. 3600-3800 That's the general range for the fastest all motor Mark8s. Don't believe the hogwash you hear about these cars not being streetable with higher stalls. Mine is a daily driver and one of the fastest all motor Marks on the list. It drives very stock light throttle.

I had HiTEch dyno and tune my 90 mustang for about $500. I have heard of DB are they in Rogers? We will be bring the Mark to BIR for the Sept bracket race and see how it does stock.

Hi Mark VIII guys,

First post here and soon to be in possession of my first Mark. I will picking up a 98 next week and driving it home from Vegas to MN. Since this car is going to be a street cruiser in the summer and bracket car also I have already started my parts search for the planned upgrades. One of the first items on the list is to make it a trac lok and put in 4:10's.

Since I do not have the car yet is there a way to know if the car has a trac lok or an open diff by using the vin. I need to get the axel code from my buddy who picked the car up for me and he has been out of town.

So say it is an open dif can I buy any 8.8 ford trac lok and put my gears on it? I also recall reading there are special cut gears for the these rear Independent suspensions. Where is the best place to locate a set a 4;10'sand trac lok?

The main plans are:
4:10's trac lok
9.5 3200 stall convertor..........who should I source this from?
sct custom 93 oct tune..........who is the go to tuner for these?
x pipe duals and cat delete
26" drag radials

The splined spider gears (where your axles go in) are beveled on the inside so the axle can be pulled out without removing the clip.
3200 stall would be ok, 3500+ would be quicker off the line. If you're going to use it as a DD and on the highway the 3000-3200 will generate less heat at cruise speed. It really comes down to personal preference and what you are going to use the car for.

If you're going to use it as a DD and on the highway the 3000-3200 will generate less heat at cruise speed.

:confused:

Huh?

Once the converter locks, it doesn't matter what the stall speed is. :rolleyes:

:confused:

Huh?

Once the converter locks, it doesn't matter what the stall speed is. :rolleyes:

Very true, I have a manual lockup switch in my 65 and I've compared the trans temp locked up and not.
I should have been more clear, you do have the option of going to a non lockup if you plan on going really fast.. or quick. Just depends on the build.
Just go to a 5 or 6 speed, you won't have to worry about it. :)

It will stay automatic for sure. I will have the convertor build local by the guy who does my other race convertors. This car will be driven to the track, about 100 miles each way, then raced and driven home. It will on occasion be used for DD duty but not very often and it will be stored indoors all winter.

I took my 98 continental down the road to day in third gear just to see what 3000 rpm's feels like and it is really no big deal. Such a smooth motor can't wait to get going on the Mark.

Drag radials should be here tomorrow, anyone know where I can find another pair of octostar rims?

Members online

Back