I wonder who posted this on Carsurvey.org

Apparently, the 4.9 and 3.4 engine versions don't do so well...

My '03 LS8 has 201,000 miles, and it had PCM related shifting issues similar to his. I wound up paying $1700 for a transmission when the PCM was the real issue. It's been a decent car, but not perfect. Normal LS issues + front wheel bearings, lots of taillight bulbs, thumping front suspension, and two HID bulbs. Only had to add R-134 once, and it doesn't use oil between 6000 mile oil changes. It's still cheaper than a car payment, and the wife still likes it.

another comment appeared on Carsurvey.org. Was it one of us?

12th Nov 2013, 23:19

OK, for all of you that want to bash the Lincoln LS. Yes, it has had some problems. No, it is not cheap to maintain, but I have found it is all in how you treat and maintain it.

Most of you are talking about a used car you bought! Once more a used car.

I have had mine since 05 when it was new, and have maintained it. The car is one of the fastest cars with all the luxuries you could want, not a problem, and it's at 300000 miles.

Don't buy a used car and judge all others on that. You have no idea how the other owner drove it, maintained it, or why that owner is selling it. You have no business trying to keep up with a car that cost 42 grand new, if you just want to try and impress your friends with A USED CAR.

Not to be a dick, but who cares about what's posted on carsurvey.org? People can post whatever they want and favor/bash whatever car they want. No sense getting all worked up about it.

another comment appeared on Carsurvey.org. Was it one of us?

12th Nov 2013, 23:19

OK, for all of you that want to bash the Lincoln LS. Yes, it has had some problems. No, it is not cheap to maintain, but I have found it is all in how you treat and maintain it.

Most of you are talking about a used car you bought! Once more a used car.

I have had mine since 05 when it was new, and have maintained it. The car is one of the fastest cars with all the luxuries you could want, not a problem, and it's at 300000 miles.

Don't buy a used car and judge all others on that. You have no idea how the other owner drove it, maintained it, or why that owner is selling it. You have no business trying to keep up with a car that cost 42 grand new, if you just want to try and impress your friends with A USED CAR.

Your car has 300,000 miles, how could you put so many miles on it in 8 -81/2 years

Your car has 300,000 miles, how could you put so many miles on it in 8 -81/2 years

At one time (for about two and a half years) I was doing 1000 miles a week plus some on the weekends. That would have been 300K in less than 6 years. It's certainly possible.

You guys must comute 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way to work five days a week. You most change oil every month. Just curious. I have my LS for 8 years and put 90,000 km.

When I got my first car my father had retired and moved to Florida, along with some other members of my family. For a long time, once a month I would make that drive from NJ to FL... the first year I had that car I put about 70,000 miles on it. I was in college at the time and worked locally so most of my miles came from trips to Florida. It lasted until 300,000 and I got rid of it, with the same engine, same transmission etc. It really depends on your necessity to drive, some people who live in the midwest or in the south (of the U.S.) have to travel 30-40 miles just to reach a food store or whatever.

You guys must comute 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way to work five days a week. You most change oil every month. ...

Yes, for a while I did exactly that. For most of the first year, it wasn't too bad. By the end of the first year, I decided to sell my house and move closer. It took another year and a half to sell the house. I don't think I could have held out much longer. However, I know a few people who made exactly the same commute for several years, one of them in a Scion.

You guys must comute 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way to work five days a week. You most change oil every month. Just curious. I have my LS for 8 years and put 90,000 km.

It's not the time, it's the miles. For 6 years I was commuting about 75 miles EACH WAY, 5 days a week!!!!!! Add all the ancillary driving and I was averaging 1K miles per week. And yes, I had to change the oil every 3-4 weeks. I don't even want to talk about my gas bill!! When my facility moved, I drove 104 miles each way for 7 months! Even without work anymore, between driving to my mother-in-law's house and getting our moneys-worth out of our Disney passes I'm still driving close to 15k per year!!

I have noticed a lot of complaints and problems with other LS's that simply come from lack of maintenance...because the repair prices are high doesn't make it a bad car..the wallet has to match the needs of the car..if you can't afford it..choices are in order..lmao. Mine just reached 193K and it is still kicking..with a lot of maintenance behind me. Yes the irregular shifts are existent..but with the CAI, high flows cats and full exhaust..the shifting problem almost went away. Have the clicking noise from the rear and that is my next focus.welcome any feedback. Boots on rear half shafts are not worn..but am sure there is still an issue on the inside..almost 14 year old car..can't hurt to replace both shafts..love the forum..take care guys. Peace to Mlara.

Members online

Back