I want to lower my 91 towncar

towncarclownin'916

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on how to lower my 91 towncar a couple inches, I want it to sit at that "just right" stance over some 20's. I can't seem to find anything on the web to help me. :L

Towncars have completely different air ride suspensions then Marks' do... unfortunately there is no "factory" setting you can change as they are not changeable... You will have to go to a specialty auto store that will lower the car...

92 Arizona Towncar said:
Towncars have completely different air ride suspensions then Marks' do... unfortunately there is no "factory" setting you can change as they are not changeable... You will have to go to a specialty auto store that will lower the car...

the front...just clamp the spring...or cut it...and the rear...don't turn off the air ride...jack it up!!! then after like 2-5 mins...youll hear a click, that means the air is out...then when you lower it back down...the back should be slammed!!! just turn your car on...then at desired hieght, turn the air ride switch off!!!! there you go...thats what i did....check it out!!!

254496_53_full.jpg

If weight is added to the car or there is a leak you could do harm to the air springs or just sit too low i enough weight is added and not compensated for. There is a bar that slides back and forth (weight/height sensor) that gives the car the info it uses to set height based on weight. Besides that would get tedious doing that every time you get in the car or want it lower.

Here is a link to a crownvic forum regarding lowering with a rear air suspension:http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...d=allposts&Main=365813&Search=true#Post367881

I agree that the Town Car only has rear air suspension. You can pretty much adjust it anywhere you want it by adjusting the rear sensor. To lower the rearend, turn off the suspension switch and loosen the adjusting bolt and expand the sensor. To make it higher, turn off the suspension switch and loosen the adjusting bolt and shorten the sensor. Don't forget to turn the suspension back on.

To bring the front down, cutting a little of the coil spring off then reinstalling should get it down.

purelux said:
If weight is added to the car or there is a leak you could do harm to the air springs or just sit too low i enough weight is added and not compensated for. There is a bar that slides back and forth (weight/height sensor) that gives the car the info it uses to set height based on weight. Besides that would get tedious doing that every time you get in the car or want it lower.

Here is a link to a crownvic forum regarding lowering with a rear air suspension:http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...d=allposts&Main=365813&Search=true#Post367881

dude i've been rollin my lincoln like that since 2002, thats 3 years already...and nothing has happend...

Thats great thats why I said things like could not definatly would. Like if air springs have a leak and could cause a problem. If someone who has a bit of a leak turned it off inflated then drove around it would drop bit by bit. Eventually damaging the bags worse as well as probably the shocks. Besides moving the sensor isn't going to require you play around every time you wan't to lower it. And the system is staying on so things like the compressor & dryer are still working and keeping moisture out of the system and preventing it from dropping too far.

thanx 4 tha help

thanks for all the help, this is the first site to tell me anything useful, I think i'll try it how '97 LTCSS said. i'll let you all know what happens.

by the way purelux, i appreciate the concern and all, but my towncar just got new air springs in 2001 after completing its third 6000 mile trip to mexico in three years, so i don't think it will leak.

Ok but all i was saying is its alot easier and safer to just move the sensor than to play around everytime. I mean its a matter of a bolt and sliding it left or right on a bar.

hey fellaz...i tired looking for this sensor...becuse i was under there anywyas to change my fuel filter...where is it at???

97LTCSS said:
the front...just clamp the spring...or cut it...and the rear...don't turn off the air ride...jack it up!!! then after like 2-5 mins...youll hear a click, that means the air is out...then when you lower it back down...the back should be slammed!!! just turn your car on...then at desired hieght, turn the air ride switch off!!!! there you go...thats what i did....check it out!!!

254496_53_full.jpg

did doing this to your car effect the way the car rides at all?

I can't find the link to the picture but here's what I found.
Re: Air Susp. Ride level sensor
#18154 - 10/03/02 05:37 PM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply: Quick Reply

Yes, the sensor is on the left, lower, rear control arm.

The sensor is held on by 2 nuts, of which one is loosened (can't remember which). The sensor then is pushed up if you want the car to sit high, or pulled down if you want the car to lower.

purelux said:
I can't find the link to the picture but here's what I found.
Re: Air Susp. Ride level sensor
#18154 - 10/03/02 05:37 PM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply: Quick Reply

Yes, the sensor is on the left, lower, rear control arm.

The sensor is held on by 2 nuts, of which one is loosened (can't remember which). The sensor then is pushed up if you want the car to sit high, or pulled down if you want the car to lower.

thanks bro....thanks a lot!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back