I have fixed my car up...some tips

bradyelich

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have spent $3800 getting my car fixed up. Parts you should look out for:
1) no EEC in North America. start searching wreckers for an extra
2) power steering oil filter tube assembley - very expensive from Ford. Mine was leaking.
3) replace your battery before you put in a new alternator. A shorted battery will not always test bad until it heats up and expands - wrecked two alternators in one day...
4) inner tie rod ends need replacing before you can feel the wobble. If you have excessive torque steer, you may need to replace the inner tie rod ends.
5) do not tow your vehicle using a method that just grabs the front wheels. I did and had to replace left front wheel hub. Get it hauled or use a towbar or tow rope for short distances.
6) My says the car gets between 22-27 mpg or 8.3l/100km - 10L/100lm at 70 mph. My car is limited to 200kph (125 mph) at 3800 rpm. What a sweet machine.

Enjoy,
Brad.

I am gonna guess an essex.. 88-94. My gas milage is nearly identical to his. While the intechs get good gas milage also, I am going on a limb here and guess essex!

My car is a 1997. One other item, periodically clean your IAC Solenoid to prevent 1506 error code, other wise it is a $200 part to replace.

Brad.

I have spent $3800 getting my car fixed up. Parts you should look out for:
1) no EEC in North America. start searching wreckers for an extra
2) power steering oil filter tube assembley - very expensive from Ford. Mine was leaking.
3) replace your battery before you put in a new alternator. A shorted battery will not always test bad until it heats up and expands - wrecked two alternators in one day...
4) inner tie rod ends need replacing before you can feel the wobble. If you have excessive torque steer, you may need to replace the inner tie rod ends.
5) do not tow your vehicle using a method that just grabs the front wheels. I did and had to replace left front wheel hub. Get it hauled or use a towbar or tow rope for short distances.
6) My says the car gets between 22-27 mpg or 8.3l/100km - 10L/100lm at 70 mph. My car is limited to 200kph (125 mph) at 3800 rpm. What a sweet machine.

Enjoy,
Brad.

Very cool, another beautiful continental saved from oblivion. Good work man. Gotta post some pics of that ride now.

My car is a California car so no rust on the body. The only outstanding feature on the car is the Ford chrome 5 spoke wheels. I had Ford check it out and my car did not originally have these wheels, but they are a Continental part. My car is missing the following options: moon roof, RESCU system, Pressure Alert System and SecuriTires, cell phone, heated seats, and cargo storage system options.

My secret for good gas mileage is use Mobil 1 oils, and don't go over 70 mph.

I have set the cruise on 100mph just to enjoy the ride and being able to hear the stereo without any outside noise. The 4 wheel independent road sensing suspension is the greatest.

After a long list of repairs, I have $12,000 CN into the car including purchase price and new Hydroedge tires. Compared to my 1999 windstar at $29,000 CN, it is a bargain.

BTW, this is the only web forum that has any info on Continentals. Check out fordcds.com if you want to get the service manuals.

I hope I am able to help someone with the tips.

Regards,
Brad.

I do not have pictures yet, but will try to get some in a couple weeks.

I have burned out 4 regulators the past few weeks. I swapped in reman alternators, but would still burn the regulator out. Not all reman alternators had new regulators! I am able to get a regulator for $50CN in Winnipeg at Piston Ring. Only 6 screws to change.

I am at a loss. I need to get under the car and look for a broken/bad/corroded ground strap? The starter looked good from the bottom. But maybe it has high current draw and slowly burns out the regulator circuit? Broken wiring harness? I dunno ...

Regards,
Brad.

System in the car? That'll burn up regulators in no time. When a customer comes into my shop and they still have the stock alt. with a system, i make sure to put down NO WARRANTY and grab their signature.

Anything over stock electrical componets will put a strain on the alt...

I am going to assume you mean sound system - I have the optional stock JBL stereo with cd changer. Could be I have a bad amp or something?

Anyone have any other clues??

Regards,
Brad.

My car is still working with the reman alternator with a new regulator. I am still at a loss as to what was causing the regulator burn. I drove 962km yesterday and no problems. It may have been the water on the street from the spring melt, and going to the car wash too much. I have trunk full of tools and parts, so I am ready and enjoying the ride.

Regards,
Brad,

p.s. no pictures yet, but I am done my income tax filing...

My car has 2500km on it since the regulator change. I have not machine-washed my car. I changed the IAC soleniod, and replaced a rear sway bar link.

The AC has started blowing warm air after 15 minutes of running. Don't know if low on freon or some bad climate control temperature sensor or stuck door??

No car pictures yet, none of fish either from season opener May 5.

Regards,
Brad.

I had my a/c repaired at the shop.

I got out of the stealership for only $220. The pressure cycle switch was bad. A $30 part ...

All is well again.

Regards,
Brad.

The intermittent wipers, and window washer have now stopped working. I will get a new stalk at the end of the month. Otherwise, my regulator is still going.

Anyone have problems with the steering rack yet? These are supposed to be trouble makers, too.

ttyl,
Brad.

Another update: now my car had trouble starting this morning. I had to hold the throttle wide open while cranking to get it started. I got it going and drove to work. Will see later if it starts again. I guess I need to investigate the missfire or cam position sensors.

Regards,
Brad.

I see I have to replace the other rear sway bar link. I took the car out scouting for the big buck I saw last fall and went down some rutty back roads. Maybe I should use a truck for this task. I also need to tie back up the front air dam that goes underneath the front bumper ... :)

I have not repaired the window wiper/washer issue yet.

My regulator is still going strong.

As to the not starting issue - it has not reappeared. I suspect there was condensation in the intake due to a very humid day and cooling overnight.

I will pay more attention to my car after my work contract is done in 5 weeks.

Enjoy,
Brad.

I have replaced the sway bar link a few weeks back.

I just installed a new signal/light stalk. I got the part from Ford $167 +taxes and installed it in 30 minutes. I took apart the old one and saw the red wire was broke off at the plug. I could have repaired and kept using the old one. Now the wipers and washer work, and the lights dim switch works.

Enjoy,
Brad.

I actually have a picture of my car taken today.
Enjoy,
Brad Yelich.

1997 Lincolc Continental.jpg

I also have a 97 conti and it looks like the same color as your's. I just got it 2 1/2 months ago and I love it. How about some pictures of the interior.
Carol

Should be the same tan leather interior as yours. I do not have the sunroof or center console. My carpet is dirty, but the rest is in very good condition.

Brad.

Yes it probably is the same color. I don't have the sunroof or console with the cd player either, but I am getting a factory cd unit so the head unit is for a continental and then having a 6 cd changer in the trunk. I don't miss the sunroof. I think they look really nice but for some reason having the light coming in from the top I find distracting.

The factory cd changer goes in the center bottom of the dash-console area accessed from passenger side, not in the trunk. This is way better than the trunk. I prefer a single disk player in the dash over the 6 cd changer in the trunk. My car, with the changer inside the cab is handy.

Brad.

My car is still going strong with one issue. The issue is the car, while in drive, foot on brake waiting at a traffic light, will slightly jerk periodically. Last summer I thought it was the a/c kicking in and out. But, this condition is still existing in the winter when the a/c should not be active. There are not any codes coming from the code reader. Any one have an idea?

Regards,
Brad Yelich.

Members online

No members online now.
Back