I got wizzed on by a Prius!

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
No not a standing start kinda deal or anything like that but here I am in NJ commuting home last week. Come up behind a Cali plate Prius with biz stickers on the sides. The car in front of him pulls to the right so we can pass at the speed I would think is max for a Prius :confused:

Lil car didn't pull on me as I wasn't trying to race or anything but I know he was over a 100 at the speed he was going :eek:

Piss me off cause I'm going threw $100 a week in gas at the least on my commute and even if he is out of his efficiency range he is still getting 15mpg better than me :runaway:

Making me think of getting a freaking hybrid to save $400 a month :(

You Do realize that the exceleration is crap right if you need to get off the line or get around an :q:q:q:q:q:q:q blocking the road you can't.

Well I was behind it going up hill at a higher speed that I thought would be near it's limit. Then the car in front of it moved over and he accelerated on the downhill part. It then did a 3 lane move to the slow side that was clear and took off at what was in the 90mph range :eek:

I didn't give chase as I know that section of interstate but I know it had to hit triple digits and that was a shocker to me :rolleyes:

My commute is 45 miles each way give or take so I'm no longer going to be installing 4:30 gears :(

The weight of that rediculous sub box can't be helping mileage either.

If it was stop n go yeah it would but this is the same box that was in the trunk of the 96' I sold ya. That car averaged 25mpg on the same commute as the 98's 19.5 :(

Dontt complain, my '11 Frontier gets about 20 MPG highway and has 3.69 gears stock.

As much as i dog the prius...it has a lot of technological advances.

The powertrain is pretty complex, it doesnt even have accessory belts. Also when accelerating, its all on gasoline power which is 98hp. The Electric drive pushes it to 134hp, and when braking the friction created from stopping recharges the 118 pound battery.

I havent driven a prius but ive driven a camry hybrid (rental vehicle) which has a 2.4L and it packs a decent punch for being such a small engine. And its very silent (which i dont like) and cant rev at idle because its on electric power.

With the Chevy volt out. I can't see why you would want a prius. The only thing the prius does better is its cheaper.

The Volt is a pretty cool vehicle, and I'm not just saying that because I work for Chevy. The fact that you can go 30-40 miles on electric only, depending on ambient temperature and HVAC settings, is pretty cool. Also, depending on where you live, and your off peak electric rates, you can charge your Volt for usually under $2.00; and yes, you can program the car to only charge during off peak hours. Electric motors have a lot of instant torque, so when placing the car in sport mode, and punching it, it does pretty well for itself, considering. It is pretty pricey though, and I think that's where were losing people. The whole side impact fire issue has been addressed with a customer choice recall, so people should be over that. The issue was that the battery pack would be jarred, and the coolant lines that run through the battery pack would fracture, allowing DexCool to run through the battery casing, and in some cases, into the batteries themselves. And besides, unless you have the thing towed back to your house, and dropped off in your driveway after a side impact, then you have nothing to be concerned about.

I had an '07 Prius and to be honest I miss it.

I used to routinely cruise at 100 or more.

Getting off the line is slow-ish, but actually going from 45-75 is pretty effortless, and I found myself speeding a lot without thinking I was.

When I first test drove it I was shocked by how much power it had for the mileage.

Yes, I do miss averaging 86 mph on a 400 mile highway trip and getting 42mpg.

I had an '07 Prius and to be honest I miss it.

I used to routinely cruise at 100 or more.

Getting off the line is slow-ish, but actually going from 45-75 is pretty effortless, and I found myself speeding a lot without thinking I was.

When I first test drove it I was shocked by how much power it had for the mileage.

Yes, I do miss averaging 86 mph on a 400 mile highway trip and getting 42mpg.

I used to own a 1980 Ford Fiesta years ago that averaged over 40mpg no matter how fast you went. Of course, it would only do like 90mpg and slow to 70mpg going uphill! Still got 40+ mpg no matter what and that's what I liked about it.

Yeah so if I was to get an electric car this would be my choice at this point.
http://youtu.be/PcfABf6wEP4
Would actually want a Fiskar Karma but since Justin Bieber is driving a chrome one around now, I don't wanna be seen driving it :shifty:

Also coming home this week in the same section of highway I got into somewhat of a peeing match with a new Mustang. Was BLACK with RED brake calipers and a RED 3 on the gas cap.

When I say this car was BLACK I am understating how BLACK it was. Rims body everything sept for headlights and taillights where so black it just grabbed your attention like a RED 911 would :cool:

Was a bit more fun sparing with him as it would attract a Staties attention a lot more than a Mark zipping through traffic :p

As much as i dog the prius...it has a lot of technological advances.

The powertrain is pretty complex, it doesnt even have accessory belts. Also when accelerating, its all on gasoline power which is 98hp. The Electric drive pushes it to 134hp, and when braking the friction created from stopping recharges the 118 pound battery.

I havent driven a prius but ive driven a camry hybrid (rental vehicle) which has a 2.4L and it packs a decent punch for being such a small engine. And its very silent (which i dont like) and cant rev at idle because its on electric power.

I think the hybrid concept is a good idea. However, I just wish somebody could come up with a hybrid that was actually cool, fast, fun to drive, and inexpensive. And when are car companies (with the exception of Fisker and Tesla) going to figure out that a car doesn't have to be a cheesy little wrong-wheel-drive tin can on wheels to be fuel efficient? A real RWD car can be made to be just as efficient as a wrong-wheel-drive car. And why why can't they put more powerful motors in these cars to supplement the gas engine? Why not a 200hp electric motor or something even more powerful? And how about some supercapacitors to give it some extra "oomph" when you need it? And how about an auxiliary belt or gear driven generator attached to the drivetrain to produce extra charging power while the car is in motion? Another idea i had was to put small wind turbines in the air intake under the bumper to charge the batteries while the car was driving at highway speeds. I think the hybrid and full electric age is fast approaching. But as long as the oil companies are in charge of the economy, it won't happen.

I think the hybrid concept is a good idea. However, I just wish somebody could come up with a hybrid that was actually cool, fast, fun to drive, and inexpensive. And when are car companies (with the exception of Fisker and Tesla) going to figure out that a car doesn't have to be a cheesy little wrong-wheel-drive tin can on wheels to be fuel efficient? A real RWD car can be made to be just as efficient as a wrong-wheel-drive car. And why why can't they put more powerful motors in these cars to supplement the gas engine? Why not a 200hp electric motor or something even more powerful? And how about some supercapacitors to give it some extra "oomph" when you need it? And how about an auxiliary belt or gear driven generator attached to the drivetrain to produce extra charging power while the car is in motion? Another idea i had was to put small wind turbines in the air intake under the bumper to charge the batteries while the car was driving at highway speeds. I think the hybrid and full electric age is fast approaching. But as long as the oil companies are in charge of the economy, it won't happen.

Uh click on the link I put above as I was quite impressed at what the Tesla was doing at Englishtown on the drag strip. An engineer friend of mine is in the process of making electric Jet Ski's and has this new battery that can be drained to near 0 and recharged quickly multiple times without destroying it like a NiCad. It is also fully recyclable unlike most NiCads and other rechargable batteries. He is in China now contacting manufactures and getting some good F1 footage for me for my Youtube account :D

Heck this is another race that night of the Tesla racing a new Camaro
http://youtu.be/vNxA2wwEECE
Sure it didn't dominate but then again the car drove to E-town and made full throttle runs and was able to make it home :eek:

The other thing you mentioned about charging would create more drag than the power it supplies.

Uh click on the link I put above...

I don't see a link. I only saw the one with the Tesla dusting the Camaro. I'm very impressed with the Tesla cars. If I could afford one, I'd get a Model S. They are seriously nice. And they "should" be able to go 300 miles between charges (or so the manufacturer claims...). And the best part is they're REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE!!!!! Take that Prius:p

I don't see a link. I only saw the one with the Tesla dusting the Camaro. I'm very impressed with the Tesla cars. If I could afford one, I'd get a Model S. They are seriously nice. And they "should" be able to go 300 miles between charges (or so the manufacturer claims...). And the best part is they're REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE!!!!! Take that Prius:p

Don't get me wrong as I hate the Prius more than most. I mean every time I go to do an install in Manhattan all I see are the multiple Prius cars in white but that is the place for them. Of course I wind up passing the Karma dealership and when I was at aka doing waiting out front I see a Maserati pass by. Then a R5 Audi or was it a R6? Sucks being in a stupid money section of the city :roll eyes:

Also I think I fixed the link? Just picked up a Macbook Pro and not really sure how much I like the Mac experiance :confused:

OK that's it I couldn't keep up with a Smart Car this week :eek: Don't feel that bad though cause a Camry was in my way so I just let it go.

However a freaking full size 18 wheeler towing a Garage on a trailer was FLYING down the highway :shifty: Not quite triple digits but I was surprised no shingles were ripping off the roof with how fast this thing was going. I swear the stuff I see weekly on my commute cracks me up at times. I should have drafted this thing and seen what king of improvement on my average MPG I could get?

Toyota has V8 powered hybrids in japan under the Lexus marquee.

I forget which model but its a Lexus LS series and its also rwd :eek:.

Members online

Back