I crossed the do not cross line

stang99x

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get my wife a new car, so I strolled into my local Ford dealer as I did about a year ago, find the woman I always deal with and tell her I'm back in the market. My wants are pretty simple, a V8, rear air, sunroof and third row seating. The rest is negligible. Well, Ford has cut V8 Explorer production by like 10000%. They have one, a 2008 program car. It had sync (no navigation) and that stupid ass $2000 rear power folding seat option. (who the hell spends two large on electric rear seats man!) Anyway, blah blah it has this and that, and 7000 miles on it, the dealerships owner has been driving it to his beach house. Well she tosses me the keys, says take it home for the weekend. (I did work for a Ford dealer one time, I know all the reasoning behind this) So, she likes it, i'm cool with it, though the 292HP V8 feels more like a 200HP V6. I go in monday, and they appraise my 2004 Explorer Limited at $8000. Yea, ok whatever, we'll get back to that. They want me to pay sticker price, minus a $5000 rebate on a used 08 (call it program car, call it used, whatever, its not new) Total walkout right at $32,000 for a used 08!!!:shifty: I'm like, come on man, I can get a 09 for like $1000 more, you'll have to do better than that. Nope, not willing to deal on it. So I got pissed, left, and went and bought something else. A 2007 Cherokee SRT8. Man, if only Ford would offer something like that. 425HP 6.1 liter hemi all wheel drive, pass anything you want except the gas station. Navigation, rear tv's, intake exhaust system, the whole works and bought it for almost 10 grand less than the boat anchor dragging explorer was. Other than my wranglers and cjs, this is the first ever non FoMoCo vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm 30 now and have owned at least 50 different cars. Congrats to Ford, they pushed me right out the door and down the road to find what I wanted at a reasonable price.:rolleyes:

rant over

My father recently was looking for a new vehicle similar to you.
It was stunning how little Ford would negotiate or accommodate when it came to the full sized SUVs. You'd think they'd be a little happier to move them off the lot?

My father recently was looking for a new vehicle similar to you.
It was stunning how little Ford would negotiate or accommodate when it came to the full sized SUVs. You'd think they'd be a little happier to move them off the lot?

Demand for trucks & SUVs went back up last year and it's still fairly high. They'll be more willing to negotiate when gas goes up to $4 again and people panic to unload their trucks for Corollas.

In 60 days or so they will be offering 2010 vehicles and your ride will be 3 years old.

I just thought it was absurd. They had no inclination whatsoever to make any kind of deals. Besides that they don't offer anything live SVT in the SUV line, and negating that they axed svt, the explorer v8 is weak, uneventful to drive, and overpriced. I just drove the jeep 1000 miles last week on vacation, and less the :q:q:q:qty gas mileage, it drove as good as any sports car down the interstate. (14.8 mpg average over the course of 1000 miles, most highway but a few around town)

Demand for trucks & SUVs went back up last year and it's still fairly high.
No doubt. Tried to buy an Expedition EL
for next to nothing late last year. I thought the SUV would be down for the count but when I found another I wanted, $6K more for the same yr/miles/features.

Kind of kicking myself.

the way the economy is they should of done everything to please you and have you buy their worn out test car. Hell the sales lady should of offered to blow you just so she made a sale!!

Ecellent move on the Jeep thats what the Wife is getting after we sell the Benz. We need a Jeep for the Baby, she gets a Baby Momma wagon and I get a HotRod. Excellent vehicle. I just hope you didn't get spanked on it cause there are some AMAZING deals on them out there.

No doubt. Tried to buy an Expedition EL
for next to nothing late last year. I thought the SUV would be down for the count but when I found another I wanted, $6K more for the same yr/miles/features.

Kind of kicking myself.

Yep, no doubt. My boss is in the market for a pickup right now and we're both in sticker shock. Even in the used truck market, they want 12K and higher for trucks with over 75,000 on the dial.

By contrast, I just paid a quarter of that for a Mark VIII with 50,000 miles, and that was probably still too high, lol. I keep finding him great deals on Lincolns and Cadillacs but he's insistent on getting a truck. So, guess I'm stuck looking for a Blackwood or a Mark LT :) He's joining the family one way or another, lol.

14.8 is horrible. I get 19.xx with my 11K lb tare weight, 2008 F450 Dually pick-up truck. :D
Hell, I was getting 14MPG in my '91 F-150 4x4 with its slipping clutch, and it has the aerodynamics of a brick...

~chuckle~...

You haven't driven a GOOD sports car in the past, I take it?

14.8 is horrible. I get 19.xx with my 11K lb tare weight, 2008 F450 Dually pick-up truck. :D

Well, lets see, an 06 mustang with 730rwhp, a 2004 sl55 amg that has 500hp, a bucha old fox bodies with varient HP numbers, so, well yeah I have driven them all. Those were personal cars, but I have drivent the shelby gt500 for a few days, some POS porsches, etc.

The only thing about the jeep is it is so wound out at high speed....82 mph its running 3k rpm.

the way the economy is they should of done everything to please you and have you buy their worn out test car. Hell the sales lady should of offered to blow you just so she made a sale!!

I thought hte same thing, but it seemed more like they wanted to ram it up my ass with no lubricant:eek:

Ecellent move on the Jeep thats what the Wife is getting after we sell the Benz. We need a Jeep for the Baby, she gets a Baby Momma wagon and I get a HotRod. Excellent vehicle. I just hope you didn't get spanked on it cause there are some AMAZING deals on them out there.

Well, Atlanta is one of the most highest priced used car markets rightnow. Alot of other areas and trucking their vehicles down here to go through manheim. In all honesty, I paid 28,400 for it. It was the last srt8 cherokee in atlanta, and all the dealers were void of 09's and had no estimate of arrival of the 10's (plus I couldn't afford a 10 at even 40k even when the sticker is 47)

And she'll love it man. My wife was like, why do so many people compliment me on this car? I told her, cause in that, you're the shiziznit!

And for the disbelievers, go to you tube and search some of the videos. there are some outrunning lambo gallardos, wrx sti's, cayannes, so forth. Hell it was only .2 tenths behind a cl55 amg benz, and it can easily walk a 2010 camaro ss

Man the SRT is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than an explorer! They aren't even in the same realm. Glad you went with that.

Ford tried to push a Fusion on me for 26k not even fully loaded for my wife. I told him he was smoking a hefty crack pipe and walked out the door. We ended up buying an 08 Impala for 16k....26k for a Ford Fusion! HAHAH! It's a rebadged Focus. I paid 13k for a focus hatch in 02. They're smoking crack to think they can double the price in less than 10 years!

My Cousin has one that the Wife drove and she was in love!! Put a REAL exhaust on, cold air intake and programmer and you will be on the 17 plus MPG. He gets 17.8 I think. Just like the Marks, do the "Big Three" and watch the MPG rise.

There SICK mean NASTY bang for buck trucks out there.

Lucky you cause GM and Crysler vehicles around here have been jacked up in price for new. Even a fully loaded SS2 camaro or a fully loaded challenger is going for over 50k and I know for a fact if you build a camaro on their site with everything on a SS2 that it comes out to about 36k...I doubt all oter fees stack on 14k

Man the SRT is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than an explorer! They aren't even in the same realm. Glad you went with that.

Ford tried to push a Fusion on me for 26k not even fully loaded for my wife. I told him he was smoking a hefty crack pipe and walked out the door. We ended up buying an 08 Impala for 16k....26k for a Ford Fusion! HAHAH! It's a rebadged Focus. I paid 13k for a focus hatch in 02. They're smoking crack to think they can double the price in less than 10 years!

The Focus is built on the C170 platform, which has been superceded by the C1 for the overseas variants but is still in use in the North American Market up to and including the current Focus.

The Fusion is built on the CD3 platform, sharing it with the Mazda3.

Well, Atlanta is one of the most highest priced used car markets rightnow. Alot of other areas and trucking their vehicles down here to go through manheim. In all honesty, I paid 28,400 for it. It was the last srt8 cherokee in atlanta, and all the dealers were void of 09's and had no estimate of arrival of the 10's (plus I couldn't afford a 10 at even 40k even when the sticker is 47)

And she'll love it man. My wife was like, why do so many people compliment me on this car? I told her, cause in that, you're the shiziznit!

And for the disbelievers, go to you tube and search some of the videos. there are some outrunning lambo gallardos, wrx sti's, cayannes, so forth. Hell it was only .2 tenths behind a cl55 amg benz, and it can easily walk a 2010 camaro ss

There will be no 10's the 09 is the last of the SRT Jeeps.

Well, lets see, an 06 mustang with 730rwhp, a 2004 sl55 amg that has 500hp, a bucha old fox bodies with varient HP numbers, so, well yeah I have driven them all. Those were personal cars, but I have drivent the shelby gt500 for a few days, some POS porsches, etc.

The only thing about the jeep is it is so wound out at high speed....82 mph its running 3k rpm.

I said a GOOD Sports car. :D

Those SRT jeeps are nice looking man,good choice. Forget an Exploder. 14.8 is rough though, put a little over 1,000 on my mark on vacation last week averaged 22 MPG.

Members online

No members online now.
Back