I am looking for straight answers on Mark viii's weight and info on weight reduction

93markeight

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been searching the forums and google to find out the real weight of a 93 Mark viii but the answers vary from 3750-4200 pounds. Has anybody here ever weighed their first gen Mark viii? 'Please no googled answers here'. Also I have been researching info on weight reduction and seems like every thread starts off with the question about weight reduction, but then everybody gets off topic and starts talking about their opinions on the topic and why "you should just buy a Mustang if you care about weight". That being said, please stay on topic here and lets make a good thread about weight reduction on a first gen Mark viii once and for all. I did weight reduction on my 87 MonteCarlo LS a few years ago, and somebody on the forum said something that really stuck, he said "the best way to drop 100 pounds on your car is to remove 1600 things that weigh 1 ounce". One thing led to another and I got my Monte down to 3000 pounds even and you would never tell by looking at it 'I even kept everyday drivability'. Now I don't expect to get my Lincoln down to 3000 pounds, but I would really like to see how much weight she could lose, and still keep street drivability. Keep in mind this is a street/strip project on the side. I have a daily driver truck, so I don't mind sacrificing some things. Im sure as the weight reduction idea list grows it will sound more and more like a race car, but that's not my goal. I will keep all the glass, the power steering, power brakes, radio, power windows/locks, etc . If anybody has any tips,info, or idea's on this subject please share, thanks.

question 1- how much does a stock 93 Mark viii really weigh?

question 2- If I wanted to remove 400 pounds off my Mark viii where should I start?

Here are some ideas- aluminum rims like Welds, plastic fuel cell, coil overs, mini starter, aluminum driveshaft, remove spare tire/jack 'maybe even cut out spare tire well if possible and replace with aluminum block off plate', delete AC, headers/no cats/with dumps, light weight battery, manual seats 'any lighter bolt in seats available?', remove metal bumpers under bumper skins 'how much do they weigh and would that compromise the bodies structure?', remove sound deadener under carpet, remove collision safety bars in doors 'are they easy to remove and how much do they weigh", delete power antenna, Im considering replacing the dash with an aluminum race style dash which I'l make myself, then wrap it in grey vinyl, same with door panels 'does anybody know how much the dash and door panels weigh?', that means no air bags and light weight steering wheel 'anybody know how much the air bags weigh?', is there a lighter bolt in brake booster/master cylinder?

These are just some idea's to start with. Remember best way to remove 100 pounds is to remove 1600 things that weigh 1 ounce so any idea's big or small will help. Im sure a lot of you guys have come across something during repairs or upgrades and said "my car don't need this" so please share. Im sure a lot of you are wondering why I would go through all this trouble when I could get more bang for my buck with power upgrades than weight reduction. Heres the deal, I bought this car with 100k mileage for cheap with a blown trans off my buddy. The car is gonna sit for a few months so I just want some fun projects to tinker with while she sits. Who knows maybe I'l end up going another route with the car and keep all the luxuries but for now Id just like to see what kind of extra weight these cars can live without.

I WOULD TRY POSTING THIS IN JUST THE MARK VIII FORUM. likely to get more answers about the stock weight

i've seen enough to believe the 3750 empty figure. posted by people i trust to provide legitimate information.

stock seats are quite heavy. spare tire and jack is heavy. besides that, stock snowflakes are pretty light are far as factory wheels go. suspension already has a pretty fair amount of aluminum, and the engine/trans are all aluminium.

bolt in seats: maybe 89-97 thunderbird/cougar manual seats? also taurus seats are "close to fitting." worth a look i guess. finding a pass. side manual seat wouldn't be hard, but idk about a non-power driver seat, that option is less common i think.

much farther than that, you start pulling the carpet, AC, sound deadening, dash, etc.

there is a reason people say to buy a different car if you are concerned about weight.

My stockish 1993 with mustang GT 17in rims was 4050 with me in it. Me with helmet and all like 200 lbs. My 1995 was 3900 with me in it on same scale with me in it.

:W
----
19 seconds to search and answer your question, see post #12, practice your search techniques; there is nothing you can post and ask that hasn't been covered here, on LoD or on dot org
----
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...4-Gross-Vehicle-Weight&highlight=gross+weight
---

Thanks for the link Dnsherrill but that only answers my one question. Maybe I just missed them but I used the search bar and I haven't found a good thread on weight reduction. Im not trying to be a "newbi" here asking questions that I could easily find in 19 seconds, I just saw a lack of info on an important topic. I created this thread so everybody could finally have one good thread dedicated to weight reduction and not have to search through hundreds of threads for one piece of info at a time. A thread that will cover all the options along with the pro's and con's of each option. If you have any links to a good thread on weight reduction that covers it all please feel free to send them my way. If not feel free to share some idea's on how we can lighten these cars up. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back