Hub swap/front brake mod

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
quite a while ago I picked up used parts from a wrecked gen1 Mark VIII, including front spindles and rear knuckles that have 5x4.5'' hubs
P1120125_zps966be359.jpg

-------
since my White 96 is now worthy of being the dd, my brown mark is in the garage on stands
today I started taking the spindles off the brown car
P7100422_zps39483b4b.jpg

P7100417_zps2293c10b.jpg

----
1st question, can I splice the abs cable (from replacement spindle to the car's module)?
P7100419_zpsd8d103e3.jpg

if I can, how should it be done?

here's the rebuilt brakes and wheels that will eventually be on the car ;)
P2280186_zpsd439e119.jpg

chrims_zpsf1fc1e45.png

clwheels_zps7ff1666e.png

I wouldn't mess with swapping the spindles. Just take off the 36mm nut holding on the hubs and swap just those.. that's how I did mine

I would go buy new front hubs, someone redrilled the fronts, that is not recommended.

i thought about swapping hubs, but couldn't come up with a way to get the hub off the unfixed spindle
-----
I noticed that for the first time last night, (re-drilled front hubs) and read that it's not recommended- the car it came off of was driven that way for quite awhile; it was t-boned when it got totaled....which front hubs have the correct center bore?

Yea. Mustang front hubs swap straight in, no drama. 94-04 only though.

You guys are 100% correct. I hadn't noticed the the hubs were redrilled as well. New timkin mustang hubs are like $60 apiece at vatozone

I am trying to understand why anyone would even go through the headache of drilling front hubs in the first place. The rear I can understand with the cost of cobra hubs and the effort/tools required to replace them, but up front... Its one nut remove and replace, and you get a new bearing out of the deal.

-Alan

the guy I bought these from was a young guy, his dad had a lot of tools in his garage and restored classic muscle cars; I can only presume he redrilled the front hubs as he liked to mod stuff and didn't wanna cough up 120 bux...just as I don't really want to buy something else right now, although it's a small price compared to having the front wheel(s) fly off while driving...I'll get some pix of the redrilled hub back side tonight after work, maybe throw the spindle in my little vice and see if I can remove the redrilled front hub...doing that costs $0

RAYBESTOS Part # 713115 21.79 on Rockauto.com and there is a 5% discount code in another thread on here.

-Alan

eh, .....Raybestos 'Pro Grade" $52 for both hub assemblies delivered from RA....done :cool:

Can someone show me where front hubs are redrilled? I don't see it. I just see rust shadow rings on hub surface only where the extra holes in the rotors lets that happen..

Can someone show me where front hubs are redrilled? I don't see it. I just see rust shadow rings on hub surface only where the extra holes in the rotors lets that happen..

I honestly can't tell from the pic but that makes more sense...like I said before why would anyone redrill the fronts

If you look at the picture where the OP is holding the ABS sensor wires, you can see that there is another set of holes that there are not lug studs in. That's how you know.

Also, I just bought the first pieces to my hub swap puzzle. I might have some wheels for sale soon...

No they aren't holes look closer, I just can't tell if it is a spot from the other holes on the rotor like ROTM suggest or if they were filled in

No they aren't holes look closer, I just can't tell if it is a spot from the other holes on the rotor like ROTM suggest or if they were filled in

I need to get my eyes checked! They are just marks from the alternate bolt pattern on the rotors. Should be good to go.

P7100422_zps39483b4b.jpg

Looks like holes, its tricky to tell whether they are holes or not. But even if they were filled, the backside of the hub would show the whole truth.

yea, I'm at work now...will solve the mystery tonight when I get home
---
the abs cable? should NOT be spliced?

is there an issue with your existing sensor? I wouldn't splice it if I didn't have to but yes it can be done. My suggestion would be to just swap the Mustang hubs onto your cars factory spindles.

-Alan

well, I didn't think I could get those hubs off the salvaged spindles, maybe I can- no issues with my ABS current setup; later on I'll put the salvaged spindles in my vice and try to remove the 36mm nut;
---
just called RockAuto to try and cancel my order for the new hubs- too late, already shipped, ..guess I'll put in 'the pile' to use later or resale

Is there 10 holes in your front hubs? Take a picture of the back side of your 4.5" mustang pattern hubs.

well, I didn't think I could get those hubs off the salvaged spindles, maybe I can- no issues with my ABS current setup; later on I'll put the salvaged spindles in my vice and try to remove the 36mm nut;
---
just called RockAuto to try and cancel my order for the new hubs- too late, already shipped, ..guess I'll put in 'the pile' to use later or resale

Just return them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back