How's the LS holding up?

97stscaddy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I've seen one of these kind of threads. How well has your LS been behaving lately? Great? Ready to kick it to the curb? Tell all!

Ill start. About 3 weeks ago my LS turned over:
Picture013-1.jpg
:cool:
Now its just under 71k, and shat another coil yesterday. Went to Autozone and picked one up (like I've done for the last three) pulled the old coil and found... OIL!!! :mad: Not a lot, but oil none-the-less. I'm hoping that it is old oil that has seeped out of the old boot. Its on one of the ones that was almost floating when I changed the VCGs, so its possible the boot soaked up some of that oil and it's seeping back out. And the boot was pretty stiff feeling, which is what happens when rubber is exposed to oil.

Installed the new coil on the engine after confirming by looking at the tip of the spark plug that the cylinder had been misfiring. Tried to put it back together and the coil cover won't go on. The connector for the new coil was up too high on the housing, so it wouldn't clear the cover. :mad: Had to take it back, of course they didn't have another in stock. So now I have to wait til tomorrow and hope that the new coil they ordered will be build correctly and will fit under the damn cover. And of course its for cylinder 8.
:runaway:
Still haven't put the new tires on. And the power steering is starting to make funny noises on cold starts. It whines a little more than normal for about 5 seconds right on the first start in the morning. Then its normal for the rest of the day. It makes the kind of sound you get from a water faucet if you turn the water on just enough to trickle.

Other than that... I scraped the bottom of my LSE bumper! :( I was heart broken. And trying to back into my own damn driveway! Of all places!

My rear driver side window just broke today. I put it down and heard a pop. After that it sounded like it was off track, so now I have a weekend headache.

My rear driver side window just broke today. I put it down and heard a pop. After that it sounded like it was off track, so now I have a weekend headache.

So far (knock on wood) thats the only problem I've had. Its happened twice now.

Mine is at it's best (163000 miles), doing freaking 23-24 mpg, never knew that this car is sooo damn economical. I drive the freeway and just cruise on 70-80. I need to get the stock exhaust though with same tips, so I can fix my ticket and make it quite. I don't need it any faster, I got a fast car.

Someone was drivin my LS the other day and I was drivin behind it, I was like, damn this car is sooo beautiful. I love it.

DSC05083.jpg

Well, I got mine with about 65K on it... It's got 95k on it now.

Valve cover gaskets
Throttle position sensor
Wiper transmission
Rear sway bar bushings

That's really about it; there are the normal upkeep items and a broken fog light when I bought it... also have some interior rattles to take care of. I'm not disappointed for a car with close to 100k on it

00 LS bought with 73000. 106000 NOW, both nuckles 1 wheel bearing endlinks and swaybar with bushings, steering shaft, rack, 6 lug nuts, 6 rotors, front pads twice, rears once. tie rod, chrome trim on font bumper, new fogs, 1 set of tires, mechanism that stops door from swinging wildly, but zero engine probs, no coils or gaskets. I wonder how much i have in this car??? no worries i love it and i also have an 04 red lse sweet

Picked it up in Dec '06 with 48k and change, now has close to 64k. As you can see I don't drive it a lot. lol

I've had a couple coils go, both valve covers replaced, a few boots and spark plugs, too - all free of charge thanks to Ford. I have another one on the way out, too. Figures as the car will see the drag strip next weekend. lol There's also little stuff that I need to get off my ass and fix, like the leaky sunroof drain and clock spring.

Other than that, I can't complain.....aside from the lack of aftermarket mods. :D

Money pit

Bought new in 01.
100,000 on it now.
$6000 in repairs which includes a new transmission.
Leaking hydraulic pump still unrepaired.

Otherwise it runs fine. Just installed new tires and battery.
Cosmetically perfect, southern car. Never seen snow.

My favorite car of the past 40 years.

bought mine with 75k a little over a month ago, have about 1700 miles on it already, nothings bad or upsetting me yet :D

Although, when it starts raining in the middle of pickup up food in the drive thru, all the damned water just falls into the car.... other than that its awesome.

2000 V8

Picked it up in 05 near mint with 32K + original 75k or 7 year power train warranty. Had the coil issue and VCG's fixed in one shot after about 3 months. Had very few minor issues that were fixed very quickly without much hassle. Trans was re-flashed cause they said it would be a good idea but I never really noticed to much but a occasional hard shift in 3rd.

Cars been pretty damn good to me, have battery issues from time to time other than that all I could complain about was the stupid center console falling apart for no reason which I finally fixed and now the car is great!!

got it new in 06, just over 40k now so far all warranty work but here goes

New wheel bearing passenger side rear 21k m.
New transmission pump 18k m
New transmission due to second pump failure 29k m
New electronic steering column twice, working on 3rd now 15k, 29k and 41k
New dash vent 29k
New advance track off switch bezzel 19k m.
soon to be entire ford crate engine due to ring failure 41k m
all warrany work lol my vin list on fmcdealer is huge
must of gotten a friday car

dont let any of that scare ya tho, this car was a showroom pony for my dealership, it sat up there for like a year and a half w/o being run, I attribute most of the powertrain problems to that

00 LS bought with 73000. 106000 NOW, both nuckles 1 wheel bearing endlinks and swaybar with bushings, steering shaft, rack, 6 lug nuts, 6 rotors, front pads twice, rears once. tie rod, chrome trim on font bumper, new fogs, 1 set of tires, mechanism that stops door from swinging wildly, but zero engine probs, no coils or gaskets. I wonder how much i have in this car??? no worries i love it and i also have an 04 red lse sweet

I don't really think it's fair to count brake rotors and pads, tires or light bulbs... I mean those are things you'll be replacing no matter what the car is; typical maintenance items

my 01 just turned over 100k. Aside from things the broke due to extenuating circumstances(like hitting the pot hole from hell in Ontario busting a spring, my endlinks, two wheels and a tire), the only issue I've had is my wheel bearings. I've done allot more, but even the VCG havent gone bad. Shes a good girl and loves the attention she has been getting lately. I'm trying to stay ahead of the power curve and fix things that can go bad while I'm working in that area. I'm getting ready to aprk her in a nice warm garage for the winter, and rip the motor down. I want to see what the cylinders look like and maybe send the rods and pistons out for some.... modeling shall we say.

of course now that I said that, I'll go out side to start her and the tranny, engine, roof, lights, and wheels will all be busted!

I don't really think it's fair to count brake rotors and pads, tires or light bulbs... I mean those are things you'll be replacing no matter what the car is; typical maintenance items

Fog housings not lights. Im just saying everything that was replaced

Well, got that one fixed! The new coil was actually the right one. And wouldn't ya know the damn thing is stuttering again already! I only got to drive it 20 miles with no misfires. :(

I know what it is, I went too long without having to replace one. Now they're starting to yell ME NEXT!!! ME NEXT!!! :D Gotta love the LS. And the oil was exactly what I thought it was, I pulled all of the coils on the drivers side today and found the same amount of oil in 5 and 7, neither of which have I replaced the coils yet. But in number 6, which I have replaced, was bone dry. So that's one worry off the list.

Bought mine a year and a half ago with 22,000 miles on it.
Now it has 56k.
In that time all I've replaced is a rear window regulator under warranty and 1 coil I did myself.
However at the end of this summer I noticed my a/c would only blow cold air if I set it to 60 and for heat I have to put it up to 90.

Well, got that one fixed! The new coil was actually the right one. And wouldn't ya know the damn thing is stuttering again already! I only got to drive it 20 miles with no misfires. :(

I know what it is, I went too long without having to replace one. Now they're starting to yell ME NEXT!!! ME NEXT!!! :D Gotta love the LS. And the oil was exactly what I thought it was, I pulled all of the coils on the drivers side today and found the same amount of oil in 5 and 7, neither of which have I replaced the coils yet. But in number 6, which I have replaced, was bone dry. So that's one worry off the list.

I have been lucky so far. I plan on ripping all 8 coils and plugs out this winter while my baby is on vacation. I'm going to do the VCG at the same time. With how much of a pain in the ass these are to get to (compared to other cars) I would recommend changing all of them at once if you can.

my 01 just turned over 100k. Aside from things the broke due to extenuating circumstances(like hitting the pot hole from hell in Ontario busting a spring, my endlinks, two wheels and a tire...

WOW... that is a pot hole from hell!! Sucks man. If the wheel bearings were on the same side as that pot hole, perhaps that was a contributing factor; if it busted two wheels, there must have been some wheel to asphalt contact... bearings that literally take a beating usually are not happy bearings!

changed the bearings a month or so before the pot hole! I think in canada, monsters hide in the pot holes and wait for expensive to fix cars to drive by. Cost me over 2g to fix mine... and I already had another set of springs!

my ls has been runnig fine since the summer time when it was overheating. this is by far the longest stretch of no break downs with the ls since ive had it. {knock on wood} but i do however have a few problemos
*sticking gas pedal in the morning
*noisy bushing/bearings
*catalytic converters {still}
*egr problem

im working on these but i just got myself in some trouble at school and i will be wasting all my money on a lawyer most likely...stupid me!

bought it Dec 07' with 70k now has 77,750

spark plugs, Coils, VGC all changed, free of charge by Ford. Other than that, its like new. did it before it hit 71k.

np's so far had the car for like almost 2 years...... knock on wood.. i noticed the v6 ones are way more reliable then the v8's why is that. I noticed they have far less problems. All these problem threads i noticed they are always the v8 ls's....

my 01 just turned over 100k. Aside from things the broke due to extenuating circumstances(like hitting the pot hole from hell in Ontario busting a spring, my endlinks, two wheels and a tire), the only issue I've had is my wheel bearings. I've done allot more, but even the VCG havent gone bad. Shes a good girl and loves the attention she has been getting lately. I'm trying to stay ahead of the power curve and fix things that can go bad while I'm working in that area. I'm getting ready to aprk her in a nice warm garage for the winter, and rip the motor down. I want to see what the cylinders look like and maybe send the rods and pistons out for some.... modeling shall we say.

Man in winnipeg we have alot of potholes.... how big was the pothole..... must of been HUGE if your bearings got smashed... i try very hard to avoid all potholes even the small ones....

forgot to mention, got it when i was 15 about 2 years ago with 59k, right now i am at 79k

Members online

No members online now.
Back