How well does the Lincoln LS handle on snow?

phantom3

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to take a trip in which I will be driving in some snowy weather with about 3" coming down according to the weather report. My 2001 Lincoln LS has a V8 and good tires and I wanted to know how it handles in bad weather before I take the trip, thank you.

make sure you have weight in the back and you should be fine. i did it a lot myself and got used to it, if this is your first time just take your time and take it easy.

Syracuse, ny snowiest city in america.. works just fine with decent tires. The traction control can be a bit intrusive and too anxious to kick on but otherwise it handles just fine. Heavy enough with great balance I ran mine all winter with no accidents and one stuck in the snow incident. But my tires were also near bald.

Like sh*t unless you get good SNOW tires. And added weight does help. Then its average.

When you say "good tires" , are they summer or all season? If they are summer then you may have some difficulty.

i didn't have any weight in the back and i had summer tires and it wasn't that bad they it slide here and there but yeah good winter tires and weight will help

moreover it depends on your snow driving experience. my previous vehicle was an 88 camaro with no posi or ABS or TC or SC.... or anything else really. So the LS is a HUGE step up for me!

I made it through a Wisconsin winter with little problem. New all-seasons. Weight in the trunk definitely helps. Got stuck once but I was seriously plowed in.

For a rear wheel drive car the LS is quite good. It's better them most cars I've owned. If we get a back storm I leave it home and we take my girls truck though.

For a rear wheel drive car the LS is quite good. It's better them most cars I've owned. If we get a back storm I leave it home and we take my girls truck though.
Certainly better than the 88 MarkVII you owned but that is not saying too much I think that was possibly the worst model car to drive in the snow that I have ever experienced. I would say the LS is about average for rear wheel drive cars or maybe a little below average.

moreover it depends on your snow driving experience.

My thoughts exactly. If you have driven a rear wheel drive car in the snow before it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Throw some weight in the back for a little extra grip. If you don't have experience driving in the snow find the first empty parking lot you can with snow cover and do some doughnuts and slides to get comfortable.

My thoughts exactly. If you have driven a rear wheel drive car in the snow before it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Throw some weight in the back for a little extra grip. If you don't have experience driving in the snow find the first empty parking lot you can with snow cover and do some doughnuts and slides to get comfortable.

The issue is getting the car out of the snow after a stop more than anything. No matter what experience you have with RWD you cant always get around that. How ever even the best drivers will need tires made for the winter. Summer/rain tires and your not getting anywhere no matter what. All seasons maybe but you'll be doing it slow, snow tires or greater ( spikes, studs, chains AUTO SOCKS!! ) and there is just no need to worry:)

But for some reason this car digs itself in more than any RWD I have owned.

park it, and buy a $500 piece of $hit taurus.
it is, however, better than my Mark was

I got around just fine over the winter. Rural MN is pretty damn difficult too. To give you an idea, one specific incident: The road I live on (dead end, tar country road) did not get plowed for almost 48 hours after almost a foot of snow. I still made it out the driveway, and a mile and a half to the highway.

Winterforce tires, and 300 pounds of quikrete in the trunk.

Certainly better than the 88 MarkVII you owned but that is not saying too much I think that was possibly the worst model car to drive in the snow that I have ever experienced. I would say the LS is about average for rear wheel drive cars or maybe a little below average.

Actually I lived in sunny San Diego when I had the VII so I can't comment on it's manners in the snow. The LS is better then the Mark VIII(which has a trac lok in it now) the 96 Crown Vic, 74 Challenger, 83 Caprice wagon and the worst of them all my 89 Firebird.

Not really.

I drove my 87 LSC with 4.10s, a 5 speed and every other mod I had on it at the time and got through the snow FAR better than with my LS.

Staff online

Members online

Back