How to replace the clock spring

Telco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Been searching for a bit and I keep seeing references to someone's writup on how to replace the clock spring, but I can't find the post that shows it. Does anyone have a link to how to replace the clock spring? Working on a 2003 LS. I don't have anything failing, just an annoying little squall in the steering column when the steering wheel is moved that sounds very much like a failing clock spring.

The first link ATrom posted is an excellent write-up. Its the one I used. The only problem I had while doing it was getting the claw puller arms behind the steering wheel, mine were a little too big.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. If nothing else, perhaps my title will make these things easier to find. :D

I'll be surprised if the clockspring is making the noise, but here you are.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1kb10.htm~gen~ref.htm

If not the clockspring, what else might it be? The noise is a squealing squeak, kinda like a squeaky door hinge. The faster you turn the wheel, the louder and higher pitched the sound gets. I was assuming clock spring since the sound seems to be coming from a point either within or right behind the steering wheel. I do have a pretty hard time with diagnosing sound issues as I have defective hearing.

There was a TSB years ago for this problem which involved adding a friction modifier to the power steering fluid. Might be worth a shot before replacing the clockspring. Good Luck.

...If not the clockspring, what else might it be? The noise is a squealing squeak, kinda like a squeaky door hinge. The faster you turn the wheel, the louder and higher pitched the sound gets. I was assuming clock spring since the sound seems to be coming from a point either within or right behind the steering wheel. I do have a pretty hard time with diagnosing sound issues as I have defective hearing.

Spray a little lube on the two u-joints of the steering shaft that are between the rack and the firewall. If the sound reduces or goes away, you know that you need to replace the intermediate shaft. (I know, it sounds like it is coming from inside the car, but try it.)

My wheel rubs on the plastic on the column, I get a buzz sound when I have the stereo turned down. Feel the plastic while you turn the wheel, I could feel the vibration on mine.

Cool guys, thanks. I'll try the second two since I can check the one in the parking lot (I'm at work) and have the spray at home. If neither does it, I'll look into the friction modifier.

My 2003 V6 LS had a similar noise. There is a TSB on it, listed below. I just added 50 mL Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier, Part Number XL-3 and kept driving it without doing all the steps (I claim to be busy but also a bit lazy too). The noise went away after a while, perhaps a month or two???

TSB 06-5-16
03/20/06
STEERING GEAR SQUEAK WHEN TURNING THE
STEERING WHEEL DURING LOW SPEED PARKING
MANEUVERS FORD:
2003-2005 Thunderbird LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Lincoln LS

see this link for the TSB
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/archive/index.php/t-63096.html

Excellent, thanks. So far the steering column check didn't find anything and I've not been able to get at the linkage for grease. I gave my mother my extra truck to drive so I spent my last weekend (I'm off in the middle of the week) getting it ready for her to take so the LS was put on the back burner.

NYC LS8
March 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just bought whatever AutoZone had laying around. I think it was in a blue tube? I've used that stuff before in the trans of my 95 VIII to cure the torque converter shudder and it worked wonders.

I wonder if this would smooth out the shifting as well?

There was also a TSB about adding friction modifier to the transmisson fluid for the rough shift problem.

Bumping an old thread...

I get a periodic whine when turning the steering wheel. Not a "low on power steering fluid" whine but a high pitched one. It appears to be coming from around the "intermediate shaft bearing plate" (#5 in the picture). I sprayed some silicone lube on it and that helped a bit. Is there a way to actually grease the bearing plate?

s6x_us_en_file=n0002944.gif_gen_ref.gif

I had a whine also. Even the slightest turn of the wheel would make noise. With the car jacked up and not running I could hear it if I turned the wheels when I was holding the tire. Figured it was the rack for sure. Anyway I bought the friction modifier and followed the TSB instructions minus completely draining the fluid by removing the lines. I just sucked out the reservoir. When I was done it was still making noise. Then I got some light weight oil and started squirting. I did the intermediate shaft u joints and the shaft where it passes through the bearing in the firewall inside and out. Afterward it still made noise. A short time later I left for work very annoyed. When I got there I noticed that it was a little better. It's been a week and a half now and I cannot hear it at all anymore. I don't know if it was the friction modifier or the oil that did the trick. If you think that the silicone lube helped a little maybe you could try light weight oil like I did.
I assume that since the TSB doesn't mention draining the power steering afterward to remove the modifier when the noise is gone that it is safe to leave it in. Can anyone verify this?

Spray a little on the shaft the enters the steering rack at the top. Spray between the rack and the plastic cap that turns with the shaft. I've seen that top seal make noise too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back