How much did you pay for gears?

Blkdvll

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for your gear install? The only shop here wants $500 for labor, no parts. Seems way over priced to me.

Thats about average. Only found two places that would do mine and they wanted $500. The other shop told me $300 and after they had the car all day they said $1000 :mad:

But on average $500 seems the norm.

The places up here said $400-700 for labor depending where I went. I found a Mustang place that was cheaper...

I payed WAYYYY to much for the gears themselves. Installing gears in the pumpkin cost me $50 including gear oil and friction modifier. The actual install cost nothing but a couple broken tools and busted knuckles.

about the going rate around here too. It would be cheaper if you could pull the dif your self and then have someone install your gears.

OMG you guys got :q:q:q:qed. I only payed 600 for mine and thats including the gears and Trak-loc put in by the head FORD mechanic aka shop manager near where I live. He is the best Ford guys around the tri-state period.

Cost me the price of parts and 50 bucks for my friend to install it all into the pumpkin on a bench. Took him about 4 months to get around to it tho lol.

If you truely know what is involved in doing this, then you would understand why $500 is not all that bad of a deal.

Just like $50 = 4 months, if you get a deal, and something goes wrong, point the finger at yourself, if you paid the going rate, and you have a problem take it back for warranty.

The tools involved, and training has to be paid, and lets not forget overhead.

I have a friend whom is a Ford tech, and he's cheaper than me, I won't under cut him, cause I'll let him take the hit in $$$$$, by no means am I cheap, but you get so much more for what you do pay.

Some of you guys that bitch, need to look at the other end of the stick sometimes, and see it from the tech's point of view.

I'm not bitching nor am I on a box, I'm just saying.

Dr. SVO phd

Yup, after speending 15 hours with Jeff working on mine there is no question that $500 is a more then fair price. Its was a chit ton of work and even setting up lash took a couple hours.

Oh yeah Jeff, if you are coming up let me know the day before so I can put that KB brace in the car for your wife.

Oh yeah Jeff, if you are coming up let me know the day before so I can put that KB brace in the car for your wife.

No problem, I would say bring it with you tomorrow, it probably a better day for me than friday would be, plus if tomorrow falls through, then it will still be in your office friday when I would pull Plan B.

Ok Nut Driver's back to your regularly schedualed thread..........................

Dr. SVO phd

Wait, im not done derailing yet. :mad:

Yesterdays lunch quote: I like it when my taco is stuffed with all this Mexican meat. :lol:
Yes, it was said in a resturant and I was there.

If its not set up right it can be dangerous to say the least.
Locking up a rear in the traps is no party.

How would you like to park your butt on this pumpkin with a bargain rebuild?

ent7.jpg

Im having DLF build my rear, he listed it on here @ $1000 installed which i felt is a good deal.

Cobra Housing
Detroit TrueTrac
FRPP 4.10's
New bearings/seals

I spent another $210 on an LPW girdle cover, another $125 getting the housing and cover powdercoated, and another $500 on a Dynotech 4" Driveshaft, $25 on arp stainless cover bolts, $25 on new axle & ds nuts from ford.

So ill have about 1400 into my diff by the time its done, plus the driveshaft and probably going to throw a new fuel pump in there...more then required but i think it should last a LONG time and look Damn good doing it.

If you search for the parts you can do it with a ford TL, gears, new bearings, shop do the labor, you pull it out the car and bring it to them for about 5-700 bucks. So you can see for a few hundred extra bucks why i went with DLF's setup.

WHOA Ford nut that pic is insanity! No way I would drive that thing!

Op I have been getting prices of $250-$400 for the gear/differential install down here in Florida.

I paid $350 for install got all the parts from Max.

Justin Let me know what you think of the LPW cover. I went to go with 4.56s and would probably add the cover at that point.

Justin Let me know what you think of the LPW cover. I went to go with 4.56s and would probably add the cover at that point.

I've never used the LPW cover, but the Atomic Control Freak cover is amazing. I used to have one on the pumpkin I built. It's nice and thick, drain and fill holes, to bad it's hidden so far under the car ;)
attachment.jpg

I've got the LPW cover on both my LSC and SC, I'm pleased with it. :)

HPIM0382.JPG

HPIM0091.JPG

DLF, does the LPW cover offer extra fluid capacity?
They both look very similar with the same features, can't go wrong with either it looks like :)

DLF, does the LPW cover offer extra fluid capacity?
They both look very similar with the same features, can't go wrong with either it looks like :)

Not that you'd notice. Difficult to add volume with the rear mount where it is.

Rich, its a solid well mfg piece.

IMG_0009.jpg

and with the powdercoat, shiny <3

2010-03-22142232.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back