How much am i gonna spend

MARKED MAN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, tryin to find out about how much I'm gonna have to pay to get my rear gears swapped. If anyone out there has had their gears done before could you let me know how much you paid and who did it for you. Just tryin to get a round about figure so I can determine when I wanna have it done.

Also on the topic of gears; I have a set of 3.55's. If anyone has these in their cars I'd love to get some feedback on how you like em. I'm gonna be doin a cam swap to try to get more mid to topend power but I don't know if these would be good gears for this.

I'm assuming you have 3.27s already? If so, 3.55s aren't going to feel like that much of a difference. I'd do at least do 3.73s if I were you. Highway RPMs aren't all THAT bad. I have 4.10s in mine, and on a 1500 mile round-trip to and from NYC & GA, my car got 21MPG (with a much lumpier cam than stock).

As far as cost, probably around $350 from a reputable shop. May be more, may be less. Depends on location.

Gears rock, though! Second best seat of the pants/ET improvement to a 5 speed swap (.5 second in the 1/4) that I've done.

Gears $529.00

Ha!

What a coincidence! I just dropped my '89 LSC off for gears about an hour ago. I got Motive Gear Performance 4.10:1s from Mustangtuning.com for $159 (free shipping) the install is going to be $300 plus the cost of the install kit so I am expecting my grand total to be $529.00

Got some for 3.73's for $100, bearing and install kit for $105, and an experienced tech to watch over my shoulder as I did the install. :) I'm sure a shop would charge at least 2-3 hours to labor at about $75/hour, or so.

3.73's definitely woke the car up! :cool:

Members online

Back