How far can you drive past "0 km till empty"

tbaylinc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering, I came across this situation today, well more last night. my car was running out of gas, as usual the info center is telling me that I'm running out of gas. I went to a station last night at 3am and the pumps was closed but the store was open for some reason, anyways make a long story short i drove for a good 10 past 0 km till empty. I was wondering how much has anybody ever gone beyond that level for future reference? or am i the only idiot that's done it? :)

I don't take that risk.

Running your LS out of gas can burn out your fuel pump and adverse affect on powertrain components.

Mine started sputtering when it said I still had 20 miles to go.

I wonder, how many gallons did it take then when you finally filled it up?

I never let mine go bellow 1/4 tank. The gas in your tank is what keeps your fuel pump cool, letting it go that low can burn it out (as gcwimmer said).

In fact, there was a special on the news last night about exactly that, a local shop here in VA was saying that they replace an average of 4-5 fuel pumps every day because people let there gas tanks run to low to "try" to save on gas (obviously because of the gas prices).

even though it hurst the fuel pump sometimes i have no choice and must drive with it on 0 miles. i remember my 94 ltc i think i did 34 one time and my 96 i have now i think i did like late 20's or early 30's. it is supposed to reach 0 miles when you reach your reserve tank. i believe the reserve is 2.something gallons. so whatever your average mileage is mine is 20.2 you double it and that is how long you have. i kind of wish i could take the 23 gallon tank of a 90 ltc and put it on mine. i love big gas tanks.

I've driven another 25 miles once after the computer told me I had 0 to go. Wound up putting in 18.5 gallons on that fill up, even though the owners manual says the tank only holds 18. Thats the most I've ever put in the LS.

I wonder, how many gallons did it take then when you finally filled it up?

I ended up putting 68.5L or just over 15 gallons. I know about the whole don't let the tank run dry thing, I always fill it up as soon as it tells me low fuel level, which is about a quarter tank from the way i drive. This was the only exception as I was highway driving through nowhere.

The pump is attached to the TOP of the tank. It's just the pickup that extends down to the bottom. Gasoline flowing through the pump does help cool it but not gas surrounding the outside. As to replacing pumps---'Breakfast doesn't cause lunch'. I, too, try to buy at 50 miles, but it isn't always possible.
KS

The pump is attached to the TOP of the tank. It's just the pickup that extends down to the bottom. Gasoline flowing through the pump does help cool it but not gas surrounding the outside. As to replacing pumps---'Breakfast doesn't cause lunch'. I, too, try to buy at 50 miles, but it isn't always possible.
KS

I guess everyone else is wrong then, you are the expert...:rolleyes:

For more information on this please see 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section.

BluelS from LVC
:D

KS

The pump hat is attached at the top of the tank but the pump basket and the pump itself extends down and is submerged in the bottom of the tank. More than just the pickup extends down to the bottom. If I had to makes a guess from when I did the Ford GT pump in the Turbo LS I would say that the bottom of the fuel pump itself sits no higher than maybe an inch off the bottom of the tank while in its pump basket.

I've gone nearly 20 miles past the point of '0 to empty' most I've ever put in is 17.5 Gallons.

But, thanks for the info guys, I regularly run it to 0 just because I'm lazy, I never thought about it, I will have to try and avoid it from now on.

haha i made it 28 miles past 0 and then i got 19 gallons of gas in the car beat that!!!!! it cost me 75 bucks to fill it

I don't take that risk.

Running your LS out of gas can burn out your fuel pump and adverse affect on powertrain components.

Best Advice!!!

maybe u r the only one done it

But I can't say that I never did it one time. Wife had driven the car and I went out on an errand. Notice the Low Fuel warning. So on the way to the gas station.. This came on!! Had my camera at the time.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I've only gone about 10+ miles past empty which in turn got me 500 Miles on a tank (obviously Highway). Once was running through AZ right before Quartzsite on the 10 going down hill and the other was on the return trip going down hill into Van Horn, TX on the 10. ;)

i haven't tempted fate much longer than 5 miles past the 0 mile warning... but i'm sure it can get upwards of 20-30 miles. most i've put in the tank is 18.5 gallons. the .5 might be a bad reading from the gas station's pump, or .5 just magically fit in somewhere... lol

The pump hat is attached at the top of the tank but the pump basket and the pump itself extends down and is submerged in the bottom of the tank. More than just the pickup extends down to the bottom. If I had to makes a guess from when I did the Ford GT pump in the Turbo LS I would say that the bottom of the fuel pump itself sits no higher than maybe an inch off the bottom of the tank while in its pump basket.
Unless the actual pump body sets in a depression in the bottom of the tank, toward the end of each tank-full, the pump will be uncovered to some degree. If the pump body needs fuel to cover for cooling, there's a chance toward the end of each tank-full for an over-heating condition with a concomitant possibility of a fire. If it could happen, it would have, and there would be a plethora of lawsuits, and giant printed words as warning in the owner's manual as a CYA for Ford. The pump body has an extension and a sock below it. WTF????

Unless the actual pump body sets in a depression in the bottom of the tank, toward the end of each tank-full, the pump will be uncovered to some degree. If the pump body needs fuel to cover for cooling, there's a chance toward the end of each tank-full for an over-heating condition with a concomitant possibility of a fire. If it could happen, it would have, and there would be a plethora of lawsuits, and giant printed words as warning in the owner's manual as a CYA for Ford. The pump body has an extension and a sock below it. WTF????

You did not say anything like this in your previous post Ken. You said that the pump is at the top of the tank and that just the pickup extends down. That is just not the case. In fact I just replaced a LS fuel pump for a Ford GT supercar pump last night (customer car) so the measurements are fresh in my mind. The bottom of the pump sits no more than 1/2"-3/4" off the bottom of the tank. What keeps the pump from burning out due to heat are two things. One is internal fuel flow keeping the pump cool. like you mentioned. The other bigger one is the pump basket that I mentioned in my last post. The way the pump pulls fuel into the basket will allow the basket to stay full of fuel while the fuel level around it outside the basket is much lower. That fuel surrounding the pump will keep it cool too. The reason I came in here and posted was because you are telling other people they were wrong when in fact by your wording you were mistaken just as well. The pump is not attached at the top of the tank and it has one heck of allot more than just a pickup extending down to the bottom. The pump body does not have an extension beneath it either. The sock clips directly onto the bottom of the pump itself. Then the both of those rest on a notched rubber isolator inside the basket. I just wanted to make the orientation of the fuel pump clear so that there was no misunderstanding.

Gee, I must have touched a nerve somewhere.

'Some do, others simply stand on the sidelines and snark.'

:confused:

KenS from Ben's Place

Since I noticed this I will attempt to reply to it as a more neutral party... Ken the reason why those guys give you a hard time in the way that they have is because of the way you post. In more or less all of your posts you sort of have this shameless self promotion thing that you do. I understand that you are looking forward to your upcoming big build and want people to know about it. It should be something to behold once it is done, but you may want to tone the self promotion deal down a bit. It is one thing to mention a big upcoming build you plan to do in passing every once in a while. It is another to mention it in almost every single post. I believe that is why those fellas are teasing you like that. Take it for a grain of salt, but there might also be a lesson learned too.

Members online

Back