How do you remove the seat to access the heated/cooled seat blower motor and etc?

05Linc_LS_V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok. I know this is another thread about the LS's heated seats.

There has been talk about the heated/cooled seats recently and the different problems members have encountered.

There were a few members who had problems with the duct work, blower motors, and control modules. This is listed in the link below:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=80477&highlight=heated+seats

Here is how the seats work:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78970&highlight=heated+seats

Power seats not working:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=74174&highlight=heated+seats

How to remove the seat?
I wanted to know the best/easiest way to remove the seat blower motor. Do you have to remove the seat completely or at all? And if so are there some steps or guidelines that you recommend?

I'm worried about screwing up any duct work while removing the seat.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

What he said. Also, the duct work is all contained within the seats. There are no ducts between the seats and the rest of the LS.

Great! Just what I needed to know. Thanks guys I was worried about pulling the duct tubes apart. Even though I can attach them again, it's a hassel I don't want to encounter. I appreciate it.

The only caution to add is about the airbags in the seats. It is best if you disconnect the battery several minutes before you start work on them. If you can avoid unplugging the airbag connector, even better.

Has anyone completely removed the seat? I would like to replace mine without the airbag going off in my face.

I'm not removing mine completely, but close. I don't think the airbag will go off without power to the vehicle. So make sure your battery is fully disconnected, but I would double check with ford or lincoln.

Seat fan motor

So I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong fan for the seat. I think I actually have the ac/heat blower motor instead of the seat blower motor. The pic below is what I bought. I dont think its right. Its way too big. I thought it was way smaller in the picture.

If anyone is looking for the correct part for the fan motor under the seat, it's

4w4z19n550ba

This was given to me by South Hills Lincoln parts department. He told me it was about $350 new. I don't need the passenger's seat heated that bad lol.

any idea where I can find one for less?

acheatls.jpg

So I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong fan for the seat. I think I actually have the ac/heat blower motor instead of the seat blower motor. The pic below is what I bought. I dont think its right. Its way too big. I thought it was way smaller in the picture.

If anyone is looking for the correct part for the fan motor under the seat, it's

4w4z19n550ba

This was given to me by South Hills Lincoln parts department. He told me it was about $350 new. I don't need the passenger's seat heated that bad lol.

any idea where I can find one for less?

Maybe try Max?

Anyway, I'm not sure but I think that the part number you list is for the whole heat/cool module, not just the blower. (That would explain the price.) Anyway, what you are looking for is a small motor with a shaft coming out each end and a small plastic fan (not squirrel cage blower) on each shaft.

Maybe try Max?

Anyway, what you are looking for is a small motor with a shaft coming out each end and a small plastic fan (not squirrel cage blower) on each shaft.

Exactly, I am currently sitting in my car with the seat up and I realized the dumb mistake. I just can't figure out why it stopped working. I'm in the process of taking the motor out of the seat and seeing if there was a loose connection or something (that's what I'm hoping for).

As for the part, I think it is the entire assembly for $350 too. I don't think the tech understood exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the fast response by the way

Ok,

I called Max and he said that the heated/ac seat fan motor only comes in the entire assembly for $368, but with the LVC discount it was $207 for the passenger and $215 for the drivers side, not bad, but still a little pricey. Still $161 off is great. That price does not include the duct work in the back of the seat. It's just the bottom of the seat from what Max told me.

The part number for the passenger seat is: 4w4z19n550ba

I'd still like to try and find a used one somewhere, but I might have to just take the plunge. Scrap yard is the next best bet.

I'll post pics of the disassembly in a little once my car is put back together

Hm since its the same sort of issue and I JUST came in after fiddling with it for a few hours:

My driver side seat controls dont work. The climate controlled feature works great but the ability to actually move the seat does not. I found the corresponding fuse for the driver seat controls in the trunk fuse box and swapped it out for a new 20A. Next day blown again. Any idea why my seat is killing fuses? I've been looking around underneath and disconnecting everything looking for corrosion or bare wires that would cause a short but nothing I can detect is out of place. I did notice the ducting under the seat was messed up. 2/3 of the ducts were crushed down and covered by carpet so I pushed the carpet back underneath them and propped the ducts open with some small pieces of pipe and they're right-as-rain now, but that's entirely unrelated to my issue I assume. No issues at all with passenger side.

Any thoughts on the fuse killing seat controls Joe?

Hm since its the same sort of issue and I JUST came in after fiddling with it for a few hours:

My driver side seat controls dont work. The climate controlled feature works great but the ability to actually move the seat does not. I found the corresponding fuse for the driver seat controls in the trunk fuse box and swapped it out for a new 20A. Next day blown again. Any idea why my seat is killing fuses? I've been looking around underneath and disconnecting everything looking for corrosion or bare wires that would cause a short but nothing I can detect is out of place. I did notice the ducting under the seat was messed up. 2/3 of the ducts were crushed down and covered by carpet so I pushed the carpet back underneath them and propped the ducts open with some small pieces of pipe and they're right-as-rain now, but that's entirely unrelated to my issue I assume. No issues at all with passenger side.

Any thoughts on the fuse killing seat controls Joe?

I think that the three possibilities, in order of likeliness, are:

1. Mechanical issue causing the motor(s) to have to apply more torque than they should. (Put a new fuse in and move the seat in each way separately several times. If the fuse blows while moving it one particular way, you've narrowed it down.

2. Wire shorting out somewhere. It could be anywhere from the trunk to the seat, but between the seat and the floor is the most likely place.

3. Fault in the seat electronics module.

Yeah I spent about 2 hours fiddling with my seat last night and managed to get the back off without breaking the clips and was under the seat checking everything out. I disconnected all the wiring harnesses and checked the pins/connectors and nothing was visibly amiss or corroded. I really need to invest in a multimeter.

It also occurred to me to pop in a new fuse and go through the full range of motion to see if there was a particular motor or circuit that is killing fuses, good suggestion! Going to test that out today.

More than likely that may be the culprit so I'll post back once I test it.

Thanks again Joe. Were you local I'd take you out for a beer since you've helped me with so many issues! :Beer

Members online

Back