How do you check CEL stored codes?

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
On Saturday, while driving to my lady's, the CEL light came on and the Mark began to misfire & stumbled real bad like it was going to turn off. There was a SHELL nearby so I pulled in with the intent to grab my scanner to get a reading and "go to town" if I had to, but then the light turned off and the car starting running normal once again.

Now even though the CEL is off, I assume the code is stored in the memory bank of the Mark's computer and was curious to know if there is a way to check the stored codes so I can address the spontaneous issue. I got this Actron CP9575 for $50(better than what AutoZone or Advanced are asking) from some cat thru CraigsList and is decent for the basic info.

Actron-CP9575-Auto-Scanner-Trilingual-Sale-Low-Price.jpg

Or is there a method you do that makes the CEL blink the stored code/s to you much in the same way the airbag light does?

Spanx! :)

yeah you can check stored codes. just plug in the scanner and go to town. assuming this is a 96-98 car?

Well that's an OBD II scan tool... so I'd hope its a 96+ car lol
If he's got a 93-95, it wasn't such a good deal :shifty:

I'm gonna place my bet on... failing fuel pump, it stumbled, and your system freaked out
Or a loose/corroded battery terminal

lol Yea both my Marks are 97, 1 BA & 1 K4. I was just curious because this scanner's "Read Codes" options only displays something if the CEL is on, otherwise it reads "No codes found".

Sadly it doesn't give an option to scan deeper for stored codes or if it does, I'm not aware of it.

Incidentally prior to this hiccup when I did the UCAs I had noticed & cleaned some light corrosion that had built up on the....., I think it was the ground terminal. It was odd to me because I had the battery since Nov '12 and I never saw it when I changed the thermostat back in Feb.

Ah well...

Members online

No members online now.
Back