hood switch info?

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought i fixed the hood prob...duct tape doesn't hold under engine heat well, can i just unplug the sensor with no probs until i can buy a new switch? thanks for the advance help. :give

viiiball said:
I thought i fixed the hood prob...duct tape doesn't hold under engine heat well, can i just unplug the sensor with no probs until i can buy a new switch? thanks for the advance help. :give

I don't see why you couldn't get away with unplugging it and shorting the wires. I'm assuming that's all its looking for is a short or low impedance on the line. What sensor are you talking about? I knew the GEN 1's had a light under the hood but I didn't realize there was a sensor involved with it. If you're just worried about the light coming on, just take the light out. Is there a message indicator saying the hood is open?

The hood switch has nothing to do with the engine compartment lamp.

The hood switch is for the anti-theft function only.

The engine compartment lamp has two switches - both integrated into the lamp assembly itself. One switch is a mercury tilt switch and the other is a manual override slide switch. You may use the manual slide switch to turn off the lamp when the hood is up for extended periods. Of course the tilt switch turns the lamp on when the hood is up and turns the lamp off when the hood is down.

The hood switch is a spring loaded momentary normally closed switch to ground if I remember correctly. If the hood is opened with the alarm armed, the switch puts a ground signal to the anti-theft module and the alarm will go off. If this is correct, you can just unplug the harness at the switch. If I am wrong, you will need to short across the unplugged harness.

Bottom line - you can disable the malfunctioning switch until you get a replacement. Of course, without the switch the hood being jacked open during a theft will not set off the alarm.

:L

thanks driller, i am going to unplug the switch and see what happens,do you know how much a new switch costs? i think the other guy thought i was talking bout the lamp,but i was talking about the theft switch.how do you short wires if i need too

driller said:
The hood switch has nothing to do with the engine compartment lamp.

The hood switch is for the anti-theft function only.

The engine compartment lamp has two switches - both integrated into the lamp assembly itself. One switch is a mercury tilt switch and the other is a manual override slide switch. You may use the manual slide switch to turn off the lamp when the hood is up for extended periods. Of course the tilt switch turns the lamp on when the hood is up and turns the lamp off when the hood is down.

The hood switch is a spring loaded momentary normally closed switch to ground if I remember correctly. If the hood is opened with the alarm armed, the switch puts a ground signal to the anti-theft module and the alarm will go off. If this is correct, you can just unplug the harness at the switch. If I am wrong, you will need to short across the unplugged harness.

Bottom line - you can disable the malfunctioning switch until you get a replacement. Of course, without the switch the hood being jacked open during a theft will not set off the alarm.

:L

Well, if its a closed system, you would just connect the wires....... if its open, then leave them unconnected -

I will try to look at the EVTM tonite and verify whether or not it is normally open or normally closed.

driller said:
I will try to look at the EVTM tonite and verify whether or not it is normally open or normally closed.

The EVTM shows the hood switch as a normally closed switch which grounds pin 5 of the anti-theft controller module. The anti-theft hood switch is closed with the hood open.

From the manual:

An Anti-theft Hood Switch is also part of the system. If the hood is forced open while the system is armed, the switch closes and a ground signal is applied to the module through the 26 (W/P) wire. This triggers the system in the same manner as the Anti-theft Trunk Lid Switch.

To disable the switch, just unplug the connecting harness.

Joeychgo said:
which switch is it driller? the one on the left side?

My '93 only has the one hood switch - on the passenger side, mounted to the inner fender lip near the MAF and air filter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back