Hood modification

HANG THE EXPENSE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Spent the day experimenting with a hood that i got from Jamie.I cut up a GT mustang hood with the recessed intake(99 cobra).I have cut out the lincoln hood outside skin and got the mustang part to fit pretty well without cutting into the main underhood bracing.The profile is really close but I will need to slave the mustang skin a little to match the lincoln contour perfectly.I will have to modify the the bracket that acts as a outside skin support that lives on top of the hood latch plate.I will try and post some pics of this soon.It will be something different.The hood on these cars needs something.

mod

I worked on the hood more today and am running into a little problem trying to blend the front of the cobra hood with the front of the Mark 8 hood.Its a compond curve on the lincoln and a flat on the cobra.I may have needed to set the scoop area back further allowing the blend between the two pieces to happen further back.we will see.I will get somebody that can take the pictures and get them posted to this site by tomorrow so you guys can see just what the hell I'm talking about.

here are his pics so far.

2011-01-01212232.jpg

2011-01-01212144.jpg

2011-01-01212205.jpg

2011-01-01212045.jpg

2011-01-01212125.jpg

hood

I will try and get more done tomorrow.I will get a friend of mine to finish this out and paint it.More pics will follow.

try making small pie cuts in the front of the scoop that will help with the compound curve

mod

I agree.I have grooved on the underside to crown the cobra part and that seems to help considerably.There was one more pic that showed my hands pressing down lightly on the mustang part and it followed the lincoln contour pretty well.The pie cutting is the answer to the area at the fron of the hood.We shall see.

pic

Thanks for posting that pic, jamie.As you can see the profiles of both hoods are really close.I thought they may be but couldnt tell until I carved them both up.

Not bad. I would like it better if it were the "heat extractor" 03/04 cobra style hood with the scoops facing the other direction.

mod

I like that one as well.It may be an easier fit as well.I will look for a damaged hood and see about another Mark 8 hood.

im really love it. would like to see the other design from the 03/04 stang. I want to see it done!

if I were doing that, I would have moved the scoop back about 6 inches... but other than that, I really like how the progress is going on this so far!!! I'd love to get a double R hood for mine, but seeing how this is going, it's making me want to bust out the kitty hair and make something, lol

I like the look, but I was hoping for something that would help clear a Cobra manifold. I was actually thinking about a Mach 1 style shaker hood myself, not sure but I think it would match the look of the car pretty well.

I like the look, but I was hoping for something that would help clear a Cobra manifold. I was actually thinking about a Mach 1 style shaker hood myself, not sure but I think it would match the look of the car pretty well.

I'd like to see that too! Of course, with a matte-black stripe on the hood to match!

hood

Yes,I was thinking the shaker would be really cool as well.They are not cheap is my problem because I am rebuilding the front end and back end on my Mark and keep finding more things to replace.This hood deal i'm doing now is not costing that much.

i did my louvers like that but i put them in from underneath and it made blending it in easier good luck

hood

I agree.The more I look at it I think you are right I will do the same thing with a gusset down the sides and back.Like you said it would make it loads easier to blend.Sick minds think alike.I also thought of blacking out this hood with body color around the edge like the old 69 Boss 302 I had when I was a teenager.

Got it trimmed in tonight and its ready to go to the glass shop tomorrow.Its hell carrying the hoods in the back of a nissan truck but what the heck.I cant wait to see the finished product and will post pics ASAP.

hood

I am putting in the rest of the clekos to test fit the insert and it looks pretty good.I have all the doublers in place and it has stiffened up with no warp.My car is silver and with the area of the hood matt black I think it will look pretty good.

Members online

No members online now.
Back