High idle

rays brother

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just left to go to lunch. Started car up and it's idling high. Put it in gear and it's just Jumping into gear. When your driving you don't have hit the gas it just takes off. It's never done this until today.

and why is that?
While the TPS can help enhance a high idle issue it wont be the sole cause or even be able to cause a severe high idle like Rays Brother is asking about. His is a stuck open IAC.
I can go outside right now, take off my TPS, start the car and then crank my TPS to a full 5 volts and my RPM wont change more then 50rpm.

Mine does that from time to time I am pretty sure its the IAC a stealer ship quoted me 300 ish dollars for the repair, told me the ford service manual says its a 3 hour fix. I can get my idle down by shifting to netural and then reving it up to 5000-6000 and leting it come back down on it self. bery raily I have to do that 2 times to get the idle right

Mine does that from time to time I am pretty sure its the IAC a stealer ship quoted me 300 ish dollars for the repair, told me the ford service manual says its a 3 hour fix. I can get my idle down by shifting to netural and then reving it up to 5000-6000 and leting it come back down on it self. bery raily I have to do that 2 times to get the idle right
Yeah, unfortunatly its a PITA to swap on first gen Marks. Not impossible though. You can do it yourself for under $70. The IAC is hidden down by the t-body. Take off the intake tube and you can see it down there. Just one elec connection and two 8mm bolts. Make sure the whole gasket comes off.

Yea I have seen it on a motor Jamie had at his shop one time Mine does not do it that often

Yea I have seen it on a motor Jamie had at his shop one time Mine does not do it that often
Would love to see some shots of your car. A black/black first gen LSC is one of them Marks that I will own one day. I think they are one of the best looking Marks ever made.

The IAC on a 1st Gen can be done within an hour and it will come with a new gasket, or it should anyway. All the ones I have bought did. Mine were right at $50 and the first time was a few hours but after doing 3 of them, I have it down to a science now but while you're back in there that deep, it wouldn't hurt to knock out the TPS also. Another $50 and a TB gasket, 8mm socket with extension and a phillips head screw driver. Loosen throttle cables, put those two bolts to the side, loosen the 4 bolts on the TB and pull it up. Unplug the old TPS and then you'll have it right there on the manifold to swap out. It's held on with the two phillips head screws. Before bolting the TB back down, don't forget to plug the new TPS back in. While the TB is out, it's easier to swap the IAC too. When completed, you should have a good lower back pain. :p

Would love to see some shots of your car. A black/black first gen LSC is one of them Marks that I will own one day. I think they are one of the best looking Marks ever made.

I agree. 1st Gen LSC's are the :q:q:q:qin bomb but I would prefer a 95 but really would prefer converting a 93 over to an LSC for body looks. I almost had it done with the 94 but that's another story.

Someone at work told me to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset. So I did that and as of now the car is back to normal. Thanks for all the help

Members online

No members online now.
Back