Hesitation at 50MPH

ltnate3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read many of the misfire posts but can't decide if my issue is the same. I don't have any codes, the CEL has never been on and my MPG is still the same, however, at part throttle the car has a hesitation around 50 MPH. If I accelerate normally it doesn't hesitate at all, just at part throttle. Please help!

i dont know much but maybe to much fuel being ported in or air? that happend with my sisters old 2001 sentra, replaced the injectors in it and the problem went away, better off to take advice from someone who knows a lot though.

I still think its coils...mine will do that too, but I only will get a flashing check engine light if I floor it over about 80 mph.

BTW I see you are local...a few of us STL guys are gonna meet up in a week or so...look for the Saint louis thread.

Even when I floor it there is no hesitation. Is it a chance the PCV or the EGR is bad? Who do you recommend I let look at it other than the dealer?

I still think its coils...mine will do that too, but I only will get a flashing check engine light if I floor it over about 80 mph.

BTW I see you are local...a few of us STL guys are gonna meet up in a week or so...look for the Saint louis thread.

I always fix my own stuff, but dobbs, or stien in belleville are both good.

try driving in 4th gear and see if the hesitation goes away, and let me know what happens. BTW if thats a v-8 there is no pcv valve, and egr's usually mess up idle...well from my experiance

Yea it's a V8. I'll drive it in 4th...what if it doesn't do it in 4th? I hear the coils are a pain to change.

I always fix my own stuff, but dobbs, or stien in belleville are both good.

try driving in 4th gear and see if the hesitation goes away, and let me know what happens. BTW if thats a v-8 there is no pcv valve, and egr's usually mess up idle...well from my experiance

Yea it's a V8. I'll drive it in 4th...what if it doesn't do it in 4th? I hear the coils are a pain to change.

It's almost certainly one or more coils failing. On the V8 they are easy to change. If you do, you should change the plugs too.

If yours is a 2003, 2004, or 2005 and has less than 100K miles, Lincoln will change them for free.

Thanks...no it's a 2002 and yes a V8. I just had the plugs changed a couple of months ago. Maybe I'll try to change these myself if it's easy.

It's almost certainly one or more coils failing. On the V8 they are easy to change. If you do, you should change the plugs too.

If yours is a 2003, 2004, or 2005 and has less than 100K miles, Lincoln will change them for free.

yeah, thats why I had you drive in 4th instead, if its a coil, they like to mis at the same rpm/load so if that changed it it was prolly a coil. if you have any mechanical experiance at all the coils are like a 3 out of 10 for level of cussing.

I tried it in 4th and it wouldn't do it. Well it has 125K and I've never had anything go wrong so I might as well get them done. Sent you a PM.

yeah, thats why I had you drive in 4th instead, if its a coil, they like to mis at the same rpm/load so if that changed it it was prolly a coil. if you have any mechanical experiance at all the coils are like a 3 out of 10 for level of cussing.

If it's only 1 coil, is it recommended to change them all while I things apart or is just one at a time ok?

If it's only 1 coil, is it recommended to change them all while I things apart or is just one at a time ok?
yea definitely recommend changing all of them, also do you plugs while your in their too. the computer can only guess on which coil is actually going out. so sometimes it can be wrong in the answer. when my car first started misfiring i only changed the 2 that it was telling me to, a day after it was at it again so i just changed the other 6 along with the plugs and it was fine. check for oil when your in their too.

Hey one more thing guys...I forgot to mention that it misses at idle sometimes too. I was told today that it's more likely to be the EGR since I don't have a CEL or a code. What do you think? Thanks for all the help.

yea definitely recommend changing all of them, also do you plugs while your in their too. the computer can only guess on which coil is actually going out. so sometimes it can be wrong in the answer. when my car first started misfiring i only changed the 2 that it was telling me to, a day after it was at it again so i just changed the other 6 along with the plugs and it was fine. check for oil when your in their too.

Hey one more thing guys...I forgot to mention that it misses at idle sometimes too. I was told today that it's more likely to be the EGR since I don't have a CEL or a code. What do you think? Thanks for all the help.

Coil(s).

ltnate3 it could very well be coil pack related but I would also investigate the throttle position sensor. Most of the cars I have owned, have at some point have been help by the replacement of the TPS. The TPS is a mechanical potentiometer that does over time degrade. Being that you mentioned the hesitation is at 50, it’s likely in your driving patterns, you drive at that speed frequently or pass by that throttle position. You can connect a voltmeter to the TPS on the Ohm scale (analog meter would be easier to use) and very slowly, manually open the throttle with the engine off and the TPS disconnected and watch for any extreme needle movements indicating a “bad” spot on the TPS. The TPS unit is not expensive or difficult to replace. Just a thought.

Hey thanks for the tip! I haven't tackled anything yet but I will soon.

ltnate3 it could very well be coil pack related but I would also investigate the throttle position sensor. Most of the cars I have owned, have at some point have been help by the replacement of the TPS. The TPS is a mechanical potentiometer that does over time degrade. Being that you mentioned the hesitation is at 50, it’s likely in your driving patterns, you drive at that speed frequently or pass by that throttle position. You can connect a voltmeter to the TPS on the Ohm scale (analog meter would be easier to use) and very slowly, manually open the throttle with the engine off and the TPS disconnected and watch for any extreme needle movements indicating a “bad” spot on the TPS. The TPS unit is not expensive or difficult to replace. Just a thought.

TPS? 2002 is not electronic throttle control. That was only 03 and newer. Gen 1's have a throttle cable.

TPS? 2002 is not electronic throttle control. That was only 03 and newer. Gen 1's have a throttle cable.

Gen I, like just about all fuel injected cars still has a TPS.

:facepalm: <---we should have a smiley for that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back