Help! Rear Passenger Side Squeak on Big Dips???

Lincoln Luebbe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
For the last month or so whenever I go over a big dip in the road (i.e suspension compresses) I get a high pitched squeak coming from my passenger side rear wheel area. When parked I can't get it to squeak by pushing down on it and getting it to bounce. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? My struts and springs only have about 30K on them...

Sway bar end links, strut gone already? IDK!

I have the same thing going on, look at thread below this about rear suspension parts, apparently its the toe bar, and they are on national back order...

Not to hijack your thread but I too have a similar issue in the rear.

My noise is more of a creak, like an old door. I suspect a loose part, or a worn bushing. I can re-create the noise by pushing down on the corner. Everything looks fine, no torn rubber or collapsed bushings. I have already ruled out the sway bar bushings, end-links and toe link by disconnecting them and bouncing the car. I also sprayed some WD-40 on the lower shock mount (no difference) and LCA bushings also without any change, but they seem to be sealed in, so..

Video:

YouTube - ‪Lincoln LS Suspension Creak‬‏

I'm not hearing the exact same thing but I can't tell cuz it's youtube vid. Had a creaking on my pass front side. Could make it happen if I pushed the car down. Turns out that I needed an alignment and it went away.

My noise is more of a creak, like an old door. I suspect a loose part, or a worn bushing. I can re-create the noise by pushing down on the corner. Everything looks fine, no torn rubber or collapsed bushings. I have already ruled out the sway bar bushings, end-links and toe link by disconnecting them and bouncing the car. I also sprayed some WD-40 on the lower shock mount (no difference) and LCA bushings also without any change, but they seem to be sealed in, so..

Video:

Kind of sounds like dry bushings. Since you disconnected the sway bar endlinks and still had the noise, I would guess it's the control arm bushings. I'd try popping the shock out, unbolting the swaybar endlink and toe-link again, and seeing if moving the knuckle up/down causes your squeak. If not, I'd pop the spring off the shock and try pushing the shock in/out seeing if it squeaks.

If it's neither of those then I have no clue. I'd almost say make friends with a place that has a drive on lift or an oil change place with a pit and see if they'll let you look while someone bounces the car. If I didn't hate ramps with an unbridled irrational hatred I would say you could try those, but I won't.

Video:

Sounds like a ball joint creak. Get some lube, with a spray hose, and see if you can inject some grease in the boots. You might have to make a tiny hole to put the hose in if your boot is not already cracked open.

Thanks fellas.

I removed the strut and it definitely sounds like the lower control arm (LCA), or maybe the half shaft? Once my GoPro is charged I'll get up close and try to compare the volume levels to see if it might be the upper (cheaper) arm.

If it's one of the arms, I will be looking into a bushing replacement as spending $300-400 over a squeak isn't the best solution IMO.

As always, a YouTube vid:

YouTube - ‪Lincoln LS Suspension Noise‬‏

Edit:
Well I poked a hole in the LCA inner bushing (as in the video), sprayed some WD-40 in there, and long behold the squeaking stopped! There did appear to be a leak though, probably a rip. I'll try to put some brake caliper grease in there lol.

Thanks fellas.

I removed the strut and it definitely sounds like the lower control arm (LCA), or maybe the half shaft? Once my GoPro is charged I'll get up close and try to compare the volume levels to see if it might be the upper (cheaper) arm.

If it's one of the arms, I will be looking into a bushing replacement as spending $300-400 over a squeak isn't the best solution IMO.

As always, a YouTube vid:

YouTube - ‪Lincoln LS Suspension Noise‬‏

Edit:
Well I poked a hole in the LCA inner bushing (as in the video), sprayed some WD-40 in there, and long behold the squeaking stopped! There did appear to be a leak though, probably a rip. I'll try to put some brake caliper grease in there lol.

If the rears are just regular bushings (and not hydraulic/fluid-filled ones), then you should be able to pop the arm and lube them up good and shoot some grease into the boot.

I have some photos to illustrate:

Outer bushing (closer to the side of the car):
89991309.jpg

Inner bushing (closer to the middle of the car):
66622113.jpg

The inner bushing is the one creating the noise. It was rather collapsed, as compared to the upper arm. I do believe they are filled with some sort of oil, as per Joe's post here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=66505

I have some photos to illustrate:

Outer bushing (closer to the side of the car):
89991309.jpg

Inner bushing (closer to the middle of the car):
66622113.jpg

The inner bushing is the one creating the noise. It was rather collapsed, as compared to the upper arm. I do believe they are filled with some sort of oil, as per Joe's post here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=66505

Sounds like you need to replace the arm then. Unfortunately there is no aftermarket bushing.

I took one of my rear tires off today and was inspecting my rear components. I'm in need of rear end links and tie rods like everyone else. Might need to get this done before I have to get the car inspected next month. Haven't had any squeaking going on but by the looks of these parts, I'm sure something is bound to happen soon!

SDC11917.jpg

SDC11921.jpg

SDC11922.jpg

Wow LeaSr... You need toe links and sway links. That is some major deterioration!

As for the OP, Lincoln Luebbe. I had a slight creak @ the same times you did. It turned out when I did my springs I reinstalled the right rear strut @ the wrong orientation. I took it out and remounted the strut assembly and the creak was gone.

As for M4rk, yep they are filled with oil/grease. You could get by with your temporary fix, you can inject some grease into the hole you have poked and attempt some type of rubber cement/flexible sealing compound to patch the hole. It could probably get you by longer.

Also, damn M4rk, your LS is rusty as fvck!

Ow that's bad! Have you done your bearing recently? :D I held my half-shafts by a string as well, to prevent them from popping out.

Thankfully my tie-rods are fine for the time being *knock on wood*, but they're deteriorating due to rust. I peeled chunks off mine like a banana.

@Andrizzle Salt sucks! Most of it is just surface though.

Also, damn M4rk, your LS is rusty as fvck!

I'm glad someone else commented on it. I was looking at all that cancer and thinking "Damn I am glad I live in Florida". Mine's usually only got road dirt/grease caked up on it.

@ Drizzle yea man I know, I need to go ahead and get these parts in so I can change them out when I do my springs. Bought a Ingesoll Rand air compressor about a week ago so I can do most of the repairs on my cars from now on.
@ M4rk I've replaced the rear passenger side hub about three years ago. Haven't had any problems with the rest of them.

@ M4rk I've replaced the rear passenger side hub about three years ago. Haven't had any problems with the rest of them.

My rear passenger went a few months ago as well. Had a new Timken bearing pressed into the knuckle - so far so good.

No air tools for me :shifty:

Drizz' 30K miles on the struts/springs since install and this squeak just now developed. If it was installed wrong wouldn't it have squeaked from day one?

Also my squeak is a loud high pitched squeak, it sounds nothing like the squeak M4rk is dealing with. I am doing an oil change tomorrow so I will check around under there while I am doing it!

Hey guys just made an account because I have the dreaded LCA squeak. I was contemplating buying a new LCA for $300 each or trying to press in jag bushings for about $200 for both sides. I was trying to figure out a way that I barely have to spend any money to get them fixed, as mine are not cracked that I can see, just a terrible squeak that make it seem like a 100-year-old car. I was thinking about putting some conditioner on the rubber parts to help moisturize them and not have to make my own grease fittings. I ran across this old video by YouTuber I watch often and decided to give this a try today.

After I sprayed both sides with the stuff and took it for a ride, even though Scotty said to let it sit for a day, but figured driving on it just for a few minutes would help move it around and better cover the bushings. Anyways after I put the tires back on (about an hour to from the time to jack up the car, spray it, and let it soak in) I drove it, it was much better but not completely gone (still a faint squeak, but I would be satisfied if it stays like that compared to what it used to be). I let it sit in front of my house for about six hours and decided to bounce the car the way I could normally be able to hear it and………. absolutely nothing. So I decided to bounce it really vigorously still nothing!!!!!. I am anxious to drive it in the next day or two to see how it hold up, but so far it looks like the solution which I, and many others have been looking for. If anyone knows a better place to post this so more people can see this please let me know.

I will keep you guys updated in the next few days.

Hey guys just made an account because I have the dreaded LCA squeak. I was contemplating buying a new LCA for $300 each or trying to press in jag bushings for about $200 for both sides. I was trying to figure out a way that I barely have to spend any money to get them fixed, as mine are not cracked that I can see, just a terrible squeak that make it seem like a 100-year-old car. I was thinking about putting some conditioner on the rubber parts to help moisturize them and not have to make my own grease fittings. I ran across this old video by YouTuber I watch often and decided to give this a try today.

After I sprayed both sides with the stuff and took it for a ride, even though Scotty said to let it sit for a day, but figured driving on it just for a few minutes would help move it around and better cover the bushings. Anyways after I put the tires back on (about an hour to from the time to jack up the car, spray it, and let it soak in) I drove it, it was much better but not completely gone (still a faint squeak, but I would be satisfied if it stays like that compared to what it used to be). I let it sit in front of my house for about six hours and decided to bounce the car the way I could normally be able to hear it and………. absolutely nothing. So I decided to bounce it really vigorously still nothing!!!!!. I am anxious to drive it in the next day or two to see how it hold up, but so far it looks like the solution which I, and many others have been looking for. If anyone knows a better place to post this so more people can see this please let me know.

I will keep you guys updated in the next few days.

So, how is it working now? Still no squeak or creak?

Sorry, posted this on two threads and gave an update on the other one.

Anyways, the LS is driving perfectly, the terrible sound has not even started to come back. I sprayed all the rubber pars as I did not know exactly which ones were squeaking, figured it couldn't hurt. I also sprayed the sway bar busing since it was right there.

If you decide to try this out I'm curious to see how it turns out for you, or anyone else who tried it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back