Heater Hoses

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Part of what I'm in process of doing to my '02 Sport is replacing 'factory' with permanent items. This will include such things as replacing 'formed' hoses with Teflon stainless braid, and molded plastic pieces with metal as well. A lot of this stuff will be installed while I have the engine out later this summer.

In the mean time, I'm trying to get a feel of how the factory did things.
The degas bottle has two nipples to which hoses are attached. The small one is a vent from the top/side of the 'tower'---the infamous plastic dingus with the cap on top that also takes the thermostat and the upper radiator hose.
The larger of the two goes from the bottom of the degas bottle, through a formed hose that goes under the master cylinder and is attached to aluminum tube that runs across the firewall and thence into the heater. But the layout is such that the degas bottle is only a secondary part of the circuit---intended to keep the heater topped-up, I suppose. It would, therefore, seem that there must be TWO hoses from the engine to the heater. I assume there are two connections at the heater---all buried where they can't be seen at the passenger end of the firewall. But Where do they connect to the engine?

I looked at the schematic on the Tasca website and then tried a live chat with a guy there. After twenty three minutes he finally told me he didn't know.

Does anyone have any input on this?

KS

There are three "heater" hoses (there are two heater cores).
Two are supply hoses that supply heated coolant to each of the two cores. The DCCV (dual coolant control valve) controls flow in both of these hoses. There is also a small electric pump that ensure there is good flow at idle (V8 feature only). The third hose is the return hose that the coolant from the two cores flows back to the engine in. This same hose also carries coolant from the degas bottle back to the engine. (The vent hose supplies coolant to the degas bottle.)

There are three metal pipes on the passenger side of the engine bay that the heater hoses at the front and the back connect to. Connections to the engine are at the front of the car. The two feed hoses attach to the DCCV.

Members online

No members online now.
Back