Heater and AC light

lking

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whenever i turn on the heater the AC light turns and i can hear the compressor turning on too why? is this normal?

the flaw is that it turns on automaticaly when its not needed there is a button with a light that says AC on it if i need the air conditioning i will push that button otherwise it should not turn on during winter every time i turn on the heat!...i wonder if i leave it on will i have ice cold air coming out of one vent and hot air coming out the other

It dries the air to keep it from fogging up the windows. The design is fine.

the flaw is that it turns on automaticaly when its not needed there is a button with a light that says AC on it if i need the air conditioning i will push that button otherwise it should not turn on during winter every time i turn on the heat!...i wonder if i leave it on will i have ice cold air coming out of one vent and hot air coming out the other

Read the OM. it will tell you why the compressor engages. Hint: It has something to do with humidity......

It's an automatic AC system. Set the temperature you want, and it will attain it. The system works by always air conditioning, and then heating to get to the right temperature. This is true winter and summer. It does it this way because years of experience have shown this to be the best system. Almost all car automatic climate controls work this way. It's for comfort. This lowers the humidity in the car. It also reduces fogging of the glass.

There's no downside. Mileage is hardly reduced at all. The heater by far overpowered the AC, so you get about the same amount of heat anyway. The blower wont run if you need heat until the engine is warm enough to provide it. The compressor is a variable displacement design and a thermostatic expansion valve is used. With little demand for cooling, the compressor will be very little load and will cycle on and off. When it is very cold, the compressor won't even run because the refrigerant pressure will be too low.

Have you ever tried just letting it do it's thing to see that it works just as well or better than when you override it? I have mine set to 74 and full auto. I never touch it, winter or summer, and it works just fine for me.

Ehh, I can't stand the fans on anything higher than two bars, so I just operate everything but the direction of the flow manually. I also found that in winter with the A/C on (letting it do its thing), the air is never warm enough for me, but lukewarm at best. Then again, my aux pump might be going as I don't get much heat on idle.

Joe, you also say the blower won't run if you need heat until the engine is warm - by "blower" I assume you mean the fan pushing air through the vents?

...by "blower" I assume you mean the fan pushing air through the vents?

Yes.

If having the AC compressor on causes any reduction of the maximum heat available, you have a problem somewhere (Aux pump, DCCV, air in coolant loop, faulty temp sensor, ...)

Yes.

If having the AC compressor on causes any reduction of the maximum heat available, you have a problem somewhere (Aux pump, DCCV, air in coolant loop, faulty temp sensor, ...)

Thanks. Yep, like I said, I don't get much heat on idle compared to under acceleration and such, never have since owning the car actually... probably the aux pump.

I can attest that using the A/C has very little (if any) effect on fuel consumption at highway speeds (I didn't do enough city driving this summer to really test that theory in city and stop-and-go traffic).

Excellent responses Joe. Members should read OM to be aware of the capabilities of a vehicle and the normal operation of the equipment. Following the preventative maintenance and maintenance interval tasks can save $$$$.
The education system the last 30+ years has been lacking in the basics of reading, writing and arithmatic. Parts of the population can do 1 of the 3 but not all.

Was it a play on spelling to misspell arithmetic or a typo? Sometimes, it is way to tough to understand when someone does it on purpose in order to see who catches it.

I am guessing it was done with humor meant. If so, well played.

For those old enough to remember or a fan of the show, Ernest T. Bass on The Andy Griffith Show added 2+2 by stomping his feet four times.

Having 3 kids in school and one in college I have realized that education is not like it used to be. They tell kids its ok to count on their fingers...ridiculous. We got smacked on the hand with a ruler when we did that. Teachers have jobs now...not careers. They care only about the paycheck and not about the work. My teachers actually cared about my education...of course back then I was too stupid to notice. No kid left behind...what a joke. End rant

education? way off topic probably because of my bad grammar lol blame it on ADD never did learn much in school

Excellent responses Joe. Members should read OM to be aware of the capabilities of a vehicle and the normal operation of the equipment.

EXACTLY why rain-sensing wipers were discontinued. Too many warranty claims. Owners didn't read the OM and therefore didn't understand their proper operation.

EXACTLY why rain-sensing wipers were discontinued. Too many warranty claims. Owners didn't read the OM and therefore didn't understand their proper operation.

I hate them.

The only things I really don't like are the constant seat belt reminder ding dong when I'm just moving the car and the disclaimer you have to acknowledge for the NAV system to show the map every time you start the car.

To complain about the HVAC doing it's thing is silly. Set the temp and keep your eyes on the road. The HVAC will know what's needed based on the temps inside and out, wipers or lights turned on etc. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it changes it's program strategy based on how many seat belts are clicked.

Smart phones have nothing on smart cars...

Members online

No members online now.
Back