heated mirror question

markdtskitted

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
do all 97-98 marks have heated mirrors? if not how can you tell if 1 is a heated mirror? thanx

On when the rear defrost I think I never worried about it. I always had both defrost on at the same time. Now my car doesn't see snow so I couldn't say one way or the other.

If memory serves all marks 93-98 had heated mirrors.

that is my understanding.

On when the rear defrost I think I never worried about it. I always had both defrost on at the same time. Now my car doesn't see snow so I couldn't say one way or the other.

pretty sure they come on with the rear defrost. i think that's in the owners manual.

I thought the heated mirrors had "Heated" written in script along the bottom of the mirror lightly. Also, if the Mark has auto-dim rear view mirrors, if you pop the side mirrors off the motor pads, there will be two sets of connectors on the back - one for the auto-dim and one for the heating element.

every Mark VIII has heated mirrors and they are activated when you turn on the rear window defroster.

Ford used to put " heated blah blah" on the mirrors of some cars but not all, i dont think Mark Viii's ever had the word "heated" on the mirror, but not sure.

Just was wondering, if all the mirrors are heated then why do only the 97-98's drivers mirrors turn a yellow color.

my 93 side view mirror had auto dimming. had that yellowish tint to it. and then failed and got stupid. twice. and then got replaced with a non dimming mirror.

My mirror on the driver side went completely 'yellow' on hot day about a year and a half ago, I never knew why, just got another first gen off a JY car and painted it toreodor red to match. Weird how that happens, never did find out why though.

My mirror on the driver side went completely 'yellow' on hot day about a year and a half ago, I never knew why, just got another first gen off a JY car and painted it toreodor red to match. Weird how that happens, never did find out why though.

You know the mirror just pops off the motor control in the housing. It's somewhere around a 2.5-3" diameter disc that the mirror clips unto. I've pryed off several with a screwdriver - they usually come off pretty easily. Then you unplug the heater and dimming wires and that's it.

Just seems a whole lot easier than taking the entire housing.

I've seen them fail where it looks like the fluid in them just kind of runs and yellows.

The fluid is not the heat. the fluid is for the dimming option .

Yes, I didn't know I was giving the impression it wasn't. Oh, is that what yellows? That's why I don't see the yellowing a lot down here in Florida! I was wondering what y'all were talking about 'cause I just see the fluid all screwed up mostly, and the yellowing seldom!

If the fluid in your self-dimming mirror screws up, you can go to any good glass shop and have them order (if they don't stock them, we do) a Burco Redi-Cut for the model of car. Sticks right on over the top of the old mirror, and looks factory. About 20 bux. They won't self dim any more, but the heat still works.

I *think* you can still order a factory new replacement for a self-dimming Mark VIII mirror, but it's like almost 300 bux. Body shop was gonna get me one for that when mine got racked up, found one in great shape on ebay for $59.

I can tell y'all that I've pulled off several Mark VIII mirrors and not all are heated and not all are auto-dimming. They pop off pretty easily if pried with a screwdriver and are clipped unto a round plastic pad. 94-97 Thunderbirds are the same size mirrors.

If there are 4 wires coming off the back, you have one that is heated and auto-dimming.

If it only has 2 wires, look at the rear view mirror - if it's auto-dimming, then the outside mirror is auto-dimming (driver's side only). If it has a regular rear view mirror, the two wires are for the heated option.

old post is old.

and like i said, i just use a non dimming mirror. cheap and doesn't just look stock, it is stock.

I forgot to take the drivers mirror and cup holders out of my Silver Mark when I sold it :(

Now I gotta look for replacements what I basically had in hand :rolleyes:

Members online

Back