HAIL Mary

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got some hail damage on the aluminum hood, trunk lid, and front fenders last week. About 5 spots on the hood, 5 on the trunk and 3 on the driver's finder. The hail was dime size so the dents are not large, but I'm going to see them all the time.

Has anyone successfully removed hail damage on the hood themselves or know how to get them out of aluminum panels? Can you use the heat gun & dustoff trick or will it require pushing them out from the backside?

I'm going to talk with a shop that does PDR in my area next week but was just wanting to hear your thoughts too.

Thanks LVC

wasn't done done on aluminum, but i had a couple of small dents on a different car. called this dude out and he spent maybe 30 mins a dent lightly hammering away with a few little chisels and knocked them right out. amazing I tell you, it was like watching a true artist craft his art.

^^^^ That sounds like it would be great to witness. I have only seen it hail once many years ago but it was out of state. Glad I dont have that issue here in CA. Sorry to hear about the damage.

Hail is painful to watch. I've only seen it pummeling the car once now but the last LS had some minor hail dents too. It hails about every other year where I am in the Ozarks. You just have to get lucky on timing it while in the garage.

My deductible is high so it is probably not worth turning it in for insurance coverage.

Two things for you. First, I had hail damage on my LS. Local Abra did the PDR work on the car and it was fantastic. Nothing showed and I am picky. Call your insurance agent and ensure you have your deductible right, let them tell you what it is. Hail damage is considered comp insurance and not collision so you might have a smaller deductible than you think.

I have also done some PDR work on my LS for door dings. Takes lots of time and you need patience, lots of patience. If you consider trying this yourself, but a light board as it really helps see the dent structure and where and in what direction you need to push. Try it on another junk car or fender first if you can before working on the LS.

Good luck.

All I'm really concerned with is the hood and trunk lid. The others are very minor and less noticeable. I'll talk with the local shop tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm certain my deductible is $1000 for comp and collision. I'm hoping for a couple hundred out of pocket... fingers crossed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back