H2O pump

Kevin O'Connell

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, this week the serpentine belt starts to howl a bit when cold starting. Thought maybe the belt was shot and slipping or the tensioner was failing or idler pulley bearing was going bad. After listening to it, it sounded like the alternator was full of marbles while running- cool- alternator still under warranty, autozone gets me one, I pull it off and start checking things out. Tensioner OK, idler OK, alternator smooth and free. Oh :q:q:q:q, grabbed the water pump shaft and its only got maybe 3/8" axial movement in the shaft and just started to leak.
Autozone in the morning to get pump. Started WD-40 treatment on coolant tube cap- I hope it comes loose OK!
While its apart, what thermostat should I get so I do it all at once? 160, 180, high flow, what?
What's the best procedure for draining and refilling and burping all the air out?

160 degree tstat is the only way to go imo... I can get you the stant pn later, its a weird one.

Also I would get a sean hyland style pump, very nice... made to not cavitate under high rpms.

My bleeding procedure:

1. Remove crossover cap and overflow tank cap (wouldn't hurt to replace the cap)
2. Find a funnel you can litterally thread into the crossover cap, I have the perfect funnel... it needs to be able to stay in place while the engine runs without holding it.
3. Fill through the crossover until the overflow tank is full, once it is put the cap back on.
4. Continue filling the crossover until the funnel is half full and no more bubbles come out, I squeeze the hell out of all the hoses at this point to make sure as much air is out as possible.
5. Start the car, turn the heat on hot and vents.
6. Let is run until the gauge is to normal operating temp, heat is pouring out of the vents, and no bubbles come out... no such this as too long really.
7. Reinstall the crossover cap.

KK has all the answers. And Kevin I still have your cooler in fact it is full of beer right now.

Thanks guys!

Got the car back together and KK's instructions matched exactly what I did. Staying cool- middle of the A in "normal" after running 45 minutes down the road.
New idler as well.
Bought all new stainless bolts when I did it to clean up looks. Underhood looks like hell from winter driving. Next week I want to pull coil mounts, etc and detail entire front and top of motor.
Spare intake on way to be powder coated next week too. While the intake is off will clean up valley. Trying to think of colors to paint all the plastic underhood to make the engine have some eye appeal.

AS FOR THE COOLER FULL OF BEER, SOUNDS LIKE KC'S FIRST SPRING MEET AND CAR CLEAN UP NEEDS TO BE PLANNED NOW!!!!!!!!! I'll be in MT and LA this week and next and home the following Tuesday- how about the 12th or 13th? Cruise meet for lunch?

Good to hear Kevin!

I'm glad you got it, sorry for taking so long to ship it out... school is been kicking my ass.

Members online

Back