gun price ?

97stscaddy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Off topic I know, but this section of the forum sees a lot of visitors on a daily basis so someone here is bound to know something about used gun values.

I'm interested in buying a Smith and Wesson .357 Mag Stainless Revolver from a co-worker. Its used, he's had it a few years and said he got it from a person he knew. I didn't think to get a model number or serial number off of it (ill see if I can get that later today). I'm wondering about how much a gun like this would be worth in used but still very good condition? Ive checked a few gun auction sites but haven't found the exact one yet. Ive seen a few that are very similar but not stainless in like new shape going in the $400-500 range. He's not sure exactly how much he wants for it yet, but said he was thinking somewhere around $400. Does that sound like a pretty decent deal?
I've always wanted a nice .357 revolver, and I'm thinking this is probably a good chance to pick one up for a good price. But I'd like to get an idea of just what one of these might be worth before I make a decision. Any help? Thanks in advance.

No idea. I have a hand-me-down Dan Wesson .357 mag with an 8" barrel. I love it. Obviously not easy to hide, but I'm very accurate with it, and almost no recoil because of the added weight of the barrel.

You know who might know though. Ask fossten. He's been posting about guns recently. He's a regular on the political forums here.

For $400-500 you're better off buying yourself a shiny new gun. A brand new Glock goes for about that much.

Virtually any Smith that's SS and .357 and in good shape is worth $400. Depending on details it may not be something to brag about 20 years hence, but you SURE aren't hurting yourself.
KS

That doesn't sound like a bad price at all, as long as its in decent shape I would say go for it.

Im on board also, 400 seems like a pretty good price. Revolvers FTW Is it stainless or plated?

Couldn't get a serial number or anything today since he didn't have the gun with him, but he said he'd get it for me tomorrow. I did find out its a model 27, Stainless steel with wood stock and 6" barrel. He has modified the trigger mechanism. You cock the hammer back, and it's just like a hot knife through butter. So easy to squeeze the trigger on this thing, will be very nice for accurate shots! I'm getting excited about this thing. He's gonna let me know a final price tomorrow.
Ah good ol' Fossten. You think he's still in the country? :p
Thanks for the input everyone.

$400 sounds a bit on the high side of fair, but I haven't priced wheelguns lately. I don't remember all of the S&W model numbers, but odds are that it's a 640 (J-frame), 66 (K-frame), 686 (L-frame), or 627 (N-frame), but there are a few other S&Ws in .357. Look on the frame under the yoke (the swing-out cylinder mount); if the first number is a 6, it's stainless; if not, it's probably nickel-plated.

I have an older copy of the Blue Book at home, so I could give you a ballpark number if you have the model number.

Oops--looks like we posted at the same time...

I did find out its a model 27, Stainless steel with wood stock and 6" barrel.
If it's stainless, it's a 627; the Model 27 was blued. It's a big bastard, too, built on the same frame as the Model 29 (.44 Magnum).

It's probably a 627-x; I don't know if the variant number (the x) is important in the pricing, but it might be. I'll dig out the Blue Book when I get home and see what it says...

OK, my Blue Book is dated 2001, but according to it, $400 is on the high side of fair, price-wise. Graded on condition, 98% shows $425, at 95% it drops to $325. (100% is NIB--new, not "mint," so that's out.) If he's shot it much, it should be 95% at most.

I'm thinking $350-ish would be a fair offer, but I haven't priced wheelguns lately, so I don't know how far off this edition of the Blue Book is right now. I also don't know what your local market is like, and that can make a big difference...

Yes it's a fairly hefty gun, which is kind of nice if you ask me. I don't like all these semi auto hand guns with the plastic stocks and all. It feels like I could break it if I hold it wrong or something.

I know stainless steel when I see it. That color tone is very distinct.
It was very similar to this one, just in stainless. http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=74956
And IIRC it had the S&W emblem engraved on the side just above the stock. Or it might have been in the stock I can't remember.

The model and serial numbers are located below the cylinder on the right side of the gun correct?
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/627PRO_L.jpg

Ive been searching "S&W 627" on all the gun sites Google lists and all I can find are the performance center models.
So you think $350 range? Is there anywhere online I could look up that kind of stuff?

I appreciate all of your help.

I haven't looked, but I'll stay with 'no hurt at $400'. You can't go wrong. DO try both single and double---cocked and not. Not should be smooth but longer and harder. The old saying is that cocked is like breaking a glass rod.
KS

Been there. :p

Ive looked at a lot of these gun sites and I just don't see the same gun anywhere. I see a lot of 627s but they're all 8 shot S&W Performance Center guns. Searching for S&W 27 brings up the 6 shot guns like the one I looked at, but not SS. And I'm pretty positive the one I looked at was SS, but only 6 shot. So now I'm good and confused. :p I just need to get the damn model number. I found out from a few pics where it is, so now I know where to look.

And IIRC it had the S&W emblem engraved on the side just above the stock. Or it might have been in the stock I can't remember.
You should see the S&W logo engraved on the side of the frame, just above the stocks. If the stocks are original, they should also have a S&W medallion on them, IIRC.

I know what you mean about the large size. I've previously owned two N-frame Smiths; a Model 29 (.44 Mag) and a Model 25 (a 25-1, IIRC, in .45LC). The 25 was a round-butt (which I think the 627s were), and it had S&W's Goncalo Alves wood stocks, which are the only finger-grooved stocks I've ever used that fit my hand well.

And I'm pretty positive the one I looked at was SS, but only 6 shot. So now I'm good and confused. :p I just need to get the damn model number. I found out from a few pics where it is, so now I know where to look.
My Model 29 was nickel plated, and you're right, it doesn't look like SS. If it's stainless, then it's definitely a 627; that leading 6 is how S&W designates stainless revolvers. IIRC, the 627 was only in mass production in the '80s and '90s, becoming a Performance Center-only item after that.

FWIW, General Patton carried a Model 27 with ivory stocks (along with a Colt SAA in .45). I know several people who call the older pinned and recessed Model 27 the finest revolver ever made.

Edit: Apparently, S&W put the 627 back in production this year as an 8-round wheelgun:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/PS/163357.pdf

Edit 2: The new 8-round 627s are built on S&W's X-frame. They're newer, so that's probably why you're having problems finding pictures of the original 627s...

Well, unfortunately for me, he sold it before I could make an offer on it. :(

Just as well though, I would have had to reach pretty deep into my budget to come up with the cash right now. So my search for a decent .357 revolver goes on. I really did like the way it felt in my hand though. I haven't held one yet that was that comfortable. Ill have to keep the 27 in mind next time I get the itch to go looking.

But he also has a few Remington 870 Wingmaster shotguns he's selling in fair shape. Ive been looking for another shotgun for a while. He wanted 200, but I got him down to 175 because the lacquer on the stock is peeling, and got a free case thrown in. :p Most of the stuff I see on the auction sites is around 200 and up for guns in poorer shape. So I think I got a pretty good deal on it. It could stand to be re-blued, and either refinish or replace the stock, but the mechanical parts felt nice and smooth. Other than appearance wise it seems in pretty good shape.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sounds like you did pretty well; IIRC, $175 is a fair price for an 870. Now you can buy go-fast parts for it and turn it into a nice tactical scattergun... ;)

I know, there are almost too many options! I just can't decide what to get for it. :D Im thinking the Speedfeed 4 pistol grip stock sounds pretty nice. And I need a mag extension for sure.

Members online

Back