Gt vs mk8

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was drivin a friends 04 gt today, auto. To me the car felt much stronger than the mark, much more responsive too. I know its got a bit more tq, and a bit less hp...but that doesnt seem to be the real diff to me. Do they have solid mounts? would that be why it feels more responsive? i remember when i welded my mount solid for like 10 min it felt close to the same in responsivity (new word?) as the gt does, perhaps thats the key?

the trans is also different also the the gear ratio, the car is lighter, it has springs and is alot more stiffer I mean they are way different cars apples to oranges

They seem to be WAYY tighter driving cars compared to ours.. They're smooth and stiff. Our cars feel sloppy and flimsy. I raced my buddy's 03 stick from a 10 roll and it was dead even. I pulled maybe a fender by 50mph.

You're also talking about a 2 year old suspension vs. what? Probably an 8 to 13 year old suspension? :rolleyes:

MarkVIII93 said:
They seem to be WAYY tighter driving cars compared to ours.. They're smooth and stiff. Our cars feel sloppy and flimsy. I raced my buddy's 03 stick from a 10 roll and it was dead even. I pulled maybe a fender by 50mph.

thats what im talkin about. the smooth vs sloppy.

driller said:
You're also talking about a 2 year old suspension vs. what? Probably an 8 to 13 year old suspension? :rolleyes:

this is also true, but mostly im talking about driveline. The feeling when you apply the throttle, with the mark its like the driveline doesnt exist, but with the gt you feel every second of it. maybe thats cuz it makes torque better, but my question is, does anyone know what kind of mounts are on the gt?

Frogman said:
same engine output (actually, a bit more) and almost 700lbs lighter. That's why it feels more responsive.

Mark VIII's actually have 20 (30 with the LSC) more flywheel HP than the '04 GT's

I rape mustangs no problem the new ones will eat me alive but any year before that I have never lost too... I raced my friends 91 with headers chip intake and exhaust and it was dead even

KainDTE said:
I rape mustangs no problem the new ones will eat me alive but any year before that I have never lost too... I raced my friends 91 with headers chip intake and exhaust and it was dead even

foxes dont count....

different customer base means different tuning for suspension and powertrain.

stiffer suspension, tires, shift pattern and intensity, more responsive throttle.

this is like wondering why a corvette handles better and feels more precise than a CTS-V. it has a different target customer and is tuned for that market.

KainDTE said:
The new ones will not rape you.

oh the new stangs can see 13.6s stock with a good driver and Ive seen it, so unless you plan on fixing that 14.7 timesleep I mean timeslip plan on getting your ass handed to you f------ nasty style

5-7mph is a pretty good difference in trap speed.

we trap 97-98 stock in a good run. they trap 103-106 on a good run.

they will rape us.

MarkOfDeath said:
oh the new stangs can see 13.6s stock with a good driver and Ive seen it, so unless you plan on fixing that 14.7 timesleep I mean timeslip plan on getting your ass handed to you f------ nasty style
no dude.. From a roll the gt's hardly pull. I raced a gt at the track and he ran a 14.2. Theres no way it would go 13.6 on street tires.

MarkVIII93 said:
no dude.. From a roll the gt's hardly pull. I raced a gt at the track and he ran a 14.2. Theres no way it would go 13.6 on street tires.

just because the 1 you raced went 14.2 doesnt mean they all do.

my cobra went 13.3 does this mean all cobras are slow? no.

it just means i need new tires. it was spinning bad in 3rd.

i have personally witnessed a stock automatic 05 GT run 13.8 the automatics are noticably slower than manual

vr4 said:
just because the 1 you raced went 14.2 doesnt mean they all do.

my cobra went 13.3 does this mean all cobras are slow? no.

it just means i need new tires. it was spinning bad in 3rd.

i have personally witnessed a stock automatic 05 GT run 13.8 the automatics are noticably slower than manual
[Edited for no no] I was basing it on the cars that I saw.. I could care less if you saw a rocket ship land in your backyard, im going by what I have seen. Hell, Ive seen roush's go 14's. No 2 cars are the same. I know that there are stock 05 gt's that have been dipping into the 13's. But I have yet to see one.
The end. have a nice day.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
evillally said:
Was the GT you drove 5-speed or 4R?

good ol 4r70w i trapped it at 14.7@96 for her once.

it just feels so much more connected, almost like its a manual. im not interested in the suspension diffrences, but the diffrence in the responsivenes in the powertrain.

MrWilson said:
good ol 4r70w i trapped it at 14.7@96 for her once.

it just feels so much more connected, almost like its a manual. im not interested in the suspension diffrences, but the diffrence in the responsivenes in the powertrain.
Four possible reasons on why it was more responsive:

1.) Later model 4R70W with improved internals and torque converter.
2.) SOHC 4.6 has better low/mid-end torque, therefore a better off-the-line response. We don't make our responsiveness until 3,000 RPMs.
3.) Curb weight; we have nearly a half ton of extra weight on the Mark VIII.
4.) Solid axle with locker on the GT makes a better start. Our dog leg IRS gives us a more comfortable ride; but the bad news is that when our bushings and pieces wear, the power doesn't get to the wheels as good as it used to and we get "wheel hop"...

GTs piss me off some times.....i tried to race one a few days ago, i think it was an 03 or so, and the guy just looked at me and shook his head as if i was out of my league or something.... little did he know ive got a nicer version of his motor. I enjoy goin out wiht my buddy in his modded out supercoupe and showing GTs whats up hahaha

MarkVIII93 said:
[Edited for no no] I was basing it on the cars that I saw.. I could care less if you saw a rocket ship land in your backyard, im going by what I have seen. Hell, Ive seen roush's go 14's. No 2 cars are the same. I know that there are stock 05 gt's that have been dipping into the 13's. But I have yet to see one.
The end. have a nice day.:)

nice rock you live under ehh

MrWilson said:
foxes dont count....

Yeah they do and I have beaten every mustang I have ever raced of any year except for a supercharged 91 at the track But I guess that doesnt count so I am undefeated! And The new mustangs will rape a Mark stock for stock all day

evillally said:
Four possible reasons on why it was more responsive:

1.) Later model 4R70W with improved internals and torque converter.
2.) SOHC 4.6 has better low/mid-end torque, therefore a better off-the-line response. We don't make our responsiveness until 3,000 RPMs.
3.) Curb weight; we have nearly a half ton of extra weight on the Mark VIII.
4.) Solid axle with locker on the GT makes a better start. Our dog leg IRS gives us a more comfortable ride; but the bad news is that when our bushings and pieces wear, the power doesn't get to the wheels as good as it used to and we get "wheel hop"...

1.I have the builit lms trans, so im ruling that out
2. That was my first thought
3.that im sure has a bit to do with it, but it just doesnt seem to be the answer, atleast to me...it may be though
4. this is true, it definatly hooks very nicely at wot on the track, but arround town i didnt wot it, and it still felt better. it just feels like theres a solid connection between the accelerator and road, lol. I havent driven a mark with a stock stall in a long time, so that may be it too.

Members online

Back