Griffin radiator, please help

D Day

LVC Member
Reaction score
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_35.jpg

I've had this universal griffin radiator in for a couple of months now but I am still having issues with the cooling system.

I fill her up in the cross over tube with all the same brand antifreeze fluid. I cap the reservoir about an inch or two below the fill line since the new radiator holds more AF. I then top off the rest at the cross over tube. The car will run fine for a couple of days, but the reservoir slowly collects more and more AF until the reservoir is full. The AF in the reservoir will not recede back to the engine or where ever it should go when the engine has cooled. It just stays in the reservoir like it has a "magnetic attraction," it stays trapped there. After about 2 weeks the reservoir has collected so much AF that the pressure cap on the reservoir starts leaking AF. When enough AF has leaked out the engine temp gauge starts reading high and I start all over again, from the top. I'm to scared to go on trips over 30 miles because I don't know what will happen. I carry an extra gallon of AF in the trunk just in case the AF is low. This SUCKS! What the hell is going on?

I've changed the pressure cap, it works better that the old one.
Bought a Motorcraft t-stat, yes it's in the right way. This helped, now I don't have to go through the process AS much.
The fan works fine.
I did added a separate trans cooler when I added the radiator, it's located behind the grill, air still gets to the radiator but I'm going to move it so the radiator can get as much air as possible.
No other visable leaks besides the pressure cap.

Has anyone had similar problems with aftermarket radiators? Geno, I know you have a Griffin, do you know what's going on.

I can't do any mods until this thing is all figured out. :(

my thought is te water pump, ior the tstat is bad ans sticking,

GO to a shop that has a pressure testing cap they can put on the resevoir and you actualll pump it up and see if holds pressure.If it leaks out then you have a leak somewhere.
It could be in the radiator, or it could be a head gasket.To find out there is a test kit you can buy that puts a chemical in the fluid and then it shows whether or not there is carbon monoxide in the anti freeze.If there is, you have a bad head gasket.

PM me if you need any more help.

I agree with Chris. Especially if you had overheated the car prior to putting in the new radiator. These engines with the aluminum block and heads are especially prone and the driver's side head doesn't get adequate cooling the way it is. You can chek your plugs and see if one of them is 'clean', as in white, on the electrode. That means that the af is getting into that cylinder and cleaning the plug. So i would check the plugs, driver's side 1st and also do what Chris says and do a CO test in the fluid or you can drop a probe in the exhaust.

My 97 lsc has a griffin rad. And the needle never moves past dead center , 10-100-1000 mile trips 10,000 mile trip it never moves ... I LOVE this radiator ... plus I got the whole car for under a grand and didn’t even notice this rad. Was in it :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back